Leica R adapter -- just a tube?

dritz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am still a bit confused about the use of the Leica SL with the R-adapter-L with the Leica APO-Macro-Elmarit 100mm f2.8 lens.

There is a 3 cam lens and an ROM lens.  I assume that the ROM lens will transfer information to the Leica SL?  Will the 3 cam version of the lens transfer any information?  Are there any other advantages to either of the two lenses?

I am still a bit confused about the use of the Leica SL with the R-adapter-L with the Leica APO-Macro-Elmarit 100mm f2.8 lens.

There is a 3 cam lens and an ROM lens.  I assume that the ROM lens will transfer information to the Leica SL?  Will the 3 cam version of the lens transfer any information?  Are there any other advantages to either of the two lenses?

The 3 cam version will transfer absolutely no information to the SL, while the ROM version transfers name and focal lenghs of the lens, and as far as I know the focus distance.

Of course you can choose any R-lens from the menu and set it manually, and so get the same informations as with ROM.

So, to sum it up after many months, today you have 3 choices for R-lenses:

1) Leica M-L stacked with Leica R-M (or Novoflex licensed R-M): you need to manually select the lens profile, but then it works properly (you have built-in lens correction, and exif in LR/ACR). Drawback is vignetting with very long R telephotos due to tighter flange of the M-L adapter, and tolerances of two adapters that may sum up (and the fact there is no auto profile selection with ROM lenses, you still have to select it manually in menus).

2) Novoflex direct R-SL adapter: no vignetting, very well built but you can't use Leica lens profiles even if you manually select them in the camera menu (still this way in firmware 3.0?)

3) Leica direct R-L: auto profile selection for ROM lenses, manual selection for R-cam or 3-cams lenses, no vignetting. Drawback, ridicolously expensive.

I am right or I miss something?

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Many, many. But unfortunately I don't get a discount for it, price is still 700€ :D

Investing 700 € to be able to properly use 10 R lenses is not the same as for one lens.

Even more so if the majority of those 10 lenses are ROM.

By the way currently the SL + R-Adapter L is almost 1.000 Euros cheaper than the R9 + DMR was and that without adjusting to the inflation rate.

Investing 700 € to be able to properly use 10 R lenses is not the same as for one lens.

Even more so if the majority of those 10 lenses are ROM.

By the way currently the SL + R-Adapter L is almost 1.000 Euros cheaper than the R9 + DMR was and that without adjusting to the inflation rate.

Of course, it was just a joke.

Still, it's way overpriced, surely it makes sense if you have many lenses (unfortunately indeed I've just ordered one..) but price tag is outrageously high for something without optical glass into it.

Edited by Steve McGarrett

The Leica R- L adapter is the way to go. If your lens is ROM equipped the camera will automatically offer the correct profile to use and will store it in the exif file. If you are using a 2-3 cam lens, you can select the correct profile and it will be enabled and stored.

If you are using a Leica R-M and M-L adapter, you can select the correct profile for use, The camera will use it and store in the exif.

The Novoflex, will not pass any information, and the Camera will not store the profile.

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Gough
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

To this item. I have the 400 mm2.8 apo Telyt R lens 1st version. I want to use it on my SL with apo 1.4 and apo 2.0 converterd. I can get the 400 mm rom coded. What should I do then, just L-M and M-R original leica adapters or...

To this item. I have the 400 mm2.8 apo Telyt R lens 1st version. I want to use it on my SL with apo 1.4 and apo 2.0 converterd. I can get the 400 mm rom coded. What should I do then, just L-M and M-R original leica adapters or...

If you are going to the bother of getting the lens ROM coded you will need to use the L-R adapter to benefit from lens info automatically on the SL, always assuming you have the ROM versions of the Apo Converters.

To be honest it would be simpler to just activate it manually from the R lens list when you attach it. You can trim the list to just a few non coded lenses so when it is displayed you will have just a short list of those you use to choose from. 

Also .... if this is the non-modular first version it is a very rare lens and I would be wary of messing about with it for the sake of convenience. 

Personally, I find the ROM feature of the Leica R to L adapter quite useful. It's analogous to 6-bit code reading of M lenses. Without it, I often forget to change the lens information manually and, hence, end up with some nasty color shifts and vignetting in addition to not having the correct EXIF. For this reason, when I purchase R lenses, I look for copies with ROM. Unfortunately, they are more expensive than non-ROM lenses, but worth it, IMO.

• 1 year later...

Other brand M adapters work very well if the EXIF info is not important.  Beware of the ultra-cheap since they are headaches when changing lenses.  The better ones are a joy in the field.

All that being said, I'm budgeting for a pre-owned Leica 18771 adapter.  While the EXIF is nice, the lens corrections might be very important.  My SL has profiles for some of my M lenses but it ignores my selection with my non-Leica adapter.

My question is will the lens corrections be applied with non-6bit lenses on the Leica 18771 adapter when I select their profile?

21 hours ago, SonomaBear said:

Other brand M adapters work very well if the EXIF info is not important.  Beware of the ultra-cheap since they are headaches when changing lenses.  The better ones are a joy in the field.

All that being said, I'm budgeting for a pre-owned Leica 18771 adapter.  While the EXIF is nice, the lens corrections might be very important.  My SL has profiles for some of my M lenses but it ignores my selection with my non-Leica adapter.

My question is will the lens corrections be applied with non-6bit lenses on the Leica 18771 adapter when I select their profile?

I have used the M Adapter L and R Adapter M in a stack (and the M Adapter L solo) extensively on both Leica SL and CL bodies. In all cases, with any lens I've fitted, the EXIF data and profile matching the lens profiles I have selected have been applied to the lens I've used, whether the lens was six-bit coded or not.

I can only presume the same should be true for the R Adapter L but of course I cannot test that since I don't own one. 

G

Edited by ramarren
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
54 minutes ago, Daniel81 said:

Does anyone have any experience or comments on the machining and metals used on the Novoflex and Leica adaptors?  Is it a concern or not at all?

It’s not a concern: Both are excellent quality. I find that the Leica adapters are a bit tighter to the original mount register specification. Also, in the case of the M Adapter L and R Adapter L, the electronic interface nets benefits (lens code and ROM recognition) that third party adapters don’t. 

G