Leica R8 Flash Compatibility with Metz Mecablitz 26 AF-2

aedes

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Fellow Leica users, this is my first post after recently acquiring a Leica R8 (#2431XXX). I am interested in purchasing a flash for my night photography and was wondering if the relatively new Metz Mecablitz 26 AF-2 would be compatible with my R8. I am mostly concerned about not blowing the circuits. I have tried searching extensively for information on the compatibility of these two but have only found a link with the compatibility of the Metz 26 AF-2 with digital cameras. 

https://www.intro2020.co.uk/EmbeddedContent/Brands/Metz/Downloads/metz_compatibility_aug16.pdf

I would appreciate any information or informed opinions on the compatibility of the Metz 26 AF-2 flash and the R8. 

Thank you, 

Aedes

Aedes, I can't give a complete answer, but I might be able to point you in the right direction. The Leica R8 (and R9) used the Metz SCA adapter system. In this system, you had the main flashgun itself, then you had a particular, camera manufacturer specific, foot, which fitted to the base of the gun, and talked intelligently to the camera. Leica cameras need SAC 3502. When I say "Leica" I exclude the Panasonic/Leica clones, which need a different SCA type associated with Panasonic cameras.

Latterly, Metz seem to have dropped this modular system in favour of different gun variants themselves dedicated to a particular manufacturer (as if the different modules were integrated into the different guns. You won't find Leica listed in these Metz guns, because the Leica variants are sold by Leica on an OEM basis under the Leica brand name. So I suspect that a current Leica branded flash designed for "Leica Leica" cameras would work OK with an R8, but of course you pay over the odds!

What I would suggest is either

look in the current Metz product range to see if they still do an SCA model that suits you, and, if so, get one with a 3502 adapter,

or

get a second hand one of the size you want. (If it came with the "wrong" manufacturer SCA adapter, you could also get a correct 3502 adapter separately second hand very cheaply, and do a swap.)

Let me stress again, don't get the SCA adapter associated with Panasonic/Leica cameras. SCA 3502 is the one you need

Hope this helps; the gist is right, and apologies if the very fine details aren't quite correct. I'm sure other more knowledgeable Forum members will put me right!

Edited by masjah

John, thank you for you insights. It's wonderful to be part of a forum of knowledgeable Leica users. 

I presume that the SCA 3503 adapter is designed so that the flash and the camera can communicate for the TTL metering. I always, however, use manual settings on my cameras and usually calibrate my flash with a handheld light meter and eventually just by distance and aperture. While I'm sure that the solution you propose works, I am looking for a compact flash such as the Leica SF 26 or its equivalent the Metz Mecablitz 26 AF-2 for a third of the price. My concern right now is what would happened if I use the Metz 26 AF-2 on the R8. Would this blow the circuits of my R8? Or would it just not communicate with the camera for the TTL metering? As for the Leica SF 26, I presume it will work with the R8 without any electrical problems. Let me know what you think. 

Best, 

Aedes

Aedes, Just to clarify first of all (though I'm sure it's just a minor typo on your part) the Leica SCA is 3502 not 3503 as you've written above! The short answer is that, personally, I wouldn't risk putting a non-Leica coded flash (e.g. Canon or Nikon) on an R8. They might well work with the limited functionality that you need, but they might not. I would hazard a guess that actual damage would be unlikely, as distinct from  simply a failure to work, but I wouldn't risk it! Maybe other Forum members have tried this?  I suspect that a Leica branded 26 would work just fine, and you can always switch it to manual mode if you wish, but as you say, they are much more money.

In your position I would buy a second hand Leica SF 20, or its successor (twenty something - I can't remember which - the later model has digital GNC which you don't need for an R8, and is nominally a teeny bit more powerful). I have a Leica SF20 and a much bigger Metz 54MZ with 3502, and am pleased with both.

PS: Don't forget that the R8 and R9 have an "F" mode, which fires a pre-flash and meters it for you.

Edited by masjah

I use the Leica/Metz SF-58 on my Leica S and R8 which works great, but this flash is now discontinued and as very expensive. 

I also have an old Metz flash, which just works on my R8... maybe it has the SCA adapter or it is build for Leica. I'm not sure. I'll have to check.