Watson 66 Question

Doug A

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just bought a Watson 66 bulk film loader (the one with the red knobs). It's brand new, all there, and in the original box. I bought it to load FILCA cassettes for my Barnack cameras. But when I lift the "bearing & key" (the spring loaded knob) and insert the FILCA the knob doesn't return all the way to its original position. The  height of the FILCA leaves the knob sticking up quite a bit and wobbling around. The knob works fine, closing the FILCA when turned counterclockwise. But it doesn't look like it would be light tight sticking up like that.

Most of the references I have seen to loading the FILCA with a Watson bulk loader refer to the 66B (the one with the white knobs). Based on the photos of the 66B on eBay it appears to be of sturdier construction than the 66 but the relative locations of the internal parts look pretty much the same.

I didn't spend a lot for the 66. I can buy a 66B if it would make a difference, but first I would like to hear from someone using a 66B to load FILCA cassettes about the position of the spring loaded knob with the cassette in the 66B.

Anyone?

--Doug

Pico,

Thanks for the reply. First I'm going to try an Alden 74 that a friend is sending. If it doesn't work then I'll buy a 66B.

Are your Leica cassettes FILCA's or IXMOO's which are not quite as tall as the FILCA's and might work better in the 66?

--Doug

Sorry, I do not know the codes, but the 66B worked for the Leica M4 and Nikon F proprietary cassettes. that is, the 66B closed them correctly after winding on the film.

Edited by pico

The FILCA is the older version. It only works with LTM cameras. It is too tall for M cameras. The IXMOO is the newer version. It works with M cameras up to the early M6, or so I believe (all of my Leicas are LTM). The IXMOO can be used in LTM cameras too, but it is a loose fit in cameras older than the I/II/IIIf and the film can move down resulting in sprocket holes at the edge of the image. The easiest way to tell the FILCA from the IXMOO, if you don't have both kinds to compare the height, is that the knob on top of the FILCA is black and the knob on top of the IXMOO is chrome.

Since the problem I am having is related to the height of the cassette it may be that a bulk loader that works with the IXMOO would not work with the FILCA.

Stay tuned for more...

--Doug

I have a Watson 100, grey knobs  :) , it includes a spacer part that reduces the width of the section that the cassette sits in, in the instructions it states this part, referred to as a shim, should be removed when loading Leica cassettes. I have assumed, I have FILCA, IXMOO and Nikon cassettes, this was to accommodate the longer FILCA or conversely when in place to enable the use of an IXMOO size cassette.

Does the loader have this, it is on the winder side and clips in and out with the shaft running through the centre?

Just double checked and indeed with the shim in place a FILCA does not allow the spring knob to fully return, which it does when the shim is removed.

It is possible to use an IXMOO without the shim when the winder is engaged, it holds it in place  but it does wobble about, a while since I loaded a FILCA although I have a IIIC I have them usually sent as an IXMOO in a batch.

Edited by chris_livsey

Just a quick update. The Alden 74 arrived. The FILCA doesn't fit in it either. I'm off to eBay for find a Watson 100.

I should mention that a standard Kodak cassette fits fine in both the Watson 66 and the Alden 74. I have no doubt that an IXMOO would fit equally well because it is the same height. It's the additional height of the FILCA that's causing the trouble.

--Doug

Just a quick update. The Alden 74 arrived. The FILCA doesn't fit in it either. I'm off to eBay for find a Watson 100.

I should mention that a standard Kodak cassette fits fine in both the Watson 66 and the Alden 74. I have no doubt that an IXMOO would fit equally well because it is the same height. It's the additional height of the FILCA that's causing the trouble.

--Doug

Thanks for the update Doug, I would check the shim is place when buying it is not "stuck" in and I can see it going missing easily. It is grey like the knobs so an interior shot will show it, if not ask before buying.

This one is missing the shim, but would of course work for the FILCA:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Bulk-Film-Loader-Watson-100-Burke-amp-James-No-Cover-AsIs-Parts-Repair-/191032866318?hash=item2c7a72360e%3Ag%3AsikAAMXQVT9S0bmN&nma=true&si=MSVnwblBu5Dt3zHhq9Fn2l%252BMo3k%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Fourth and fifth pictures here show the grey shim in place:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Watson-Model-100-Daylight-Bulk-Film-Loader-/132093204511?hash=item1ec15e581f%3Ag%3AutsAAOSw2gxYnweE&nma=true&si=MSVnwblBu5Dt3zHhq9Fn2l%252BMo3k%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Edited by chris_livsey

Thank you Chris! The links are very helpful - and very timely. I'm looking at Watson 100's this morning. As you say, the 100 would work with a FILCA without the shim but I'll probably want to load some modern cassettes for my Nikons too once I get into this reloading business.

--Doug

I'll probably want to load some modern cassettes for my Nikons too once I get into this reloading business.

--Doug

Nikon F and F2 use dedicated Nikon metal cassettes similar to the Leica, F3 and on are only "commercial" cassettes.

The F uses the same type as the rangefinders, the F2 has its own variant, they are not interchangeable.

I only have about 20 of those rather than the 50+ IXMOO and about 5 FILCA, I like to load the full length of a roll at a time.

I received a Watson 100 and, just as Chris said, it works with the FILCA. With the shim removed the length is exactly right and the 100 has a cutout that fits the raised part of the FILCA to keep it from rotating when the knob is turned to close the cassette. I have a FILCA loaded with HP5 in the IIIc and everything seems to be working.

• Like 2

I received a Watson 100 and, just as Chris said, it works with the FILCA. With the shim removed the length is exactly right and the 100 has a cutout that fits the raised part of the FILCA to keep it from rotating when the knob is turned to close the cassette. I have a FILCA loaded with HP5 in the IIIc and everything seems to be working.

Excellent news, enjoy.