75mm Noctilux-M on the way

Jeff S

Tom, it will not be measurably more difficult than using the 75mm f/1.4 Summilux which I believe is as difficult to focus as any of the Noctilux 50mm lenses.

What interests me the most is Karbe's design. I cannot stand most of his lenses for their terrible OOF. But who am I?

Not to pick on you specifically, Pico - but this canard (Leica's ASPH (or Peter Karbe's) lenses produce terrible bokeh) seems to have reached the level of "received wisdom."

Yet in my experience it is mostly untrue. A few specific earlier designs (75 f/1.4, 90 f/2 v. 1980) have exceptional soft bokeh in many settings, but my experience is that overall, across the line, the newer/current designs have very balanced, neutral-to-good bokeh, quite often better than the older designs.

I think there is a misconception floating around that a fast lens that is sharp wide-open cannot have good bokeh. That was possibly true 30-40 years ago, comparing a sharp "then-modern" 50mm with well- (or even over-) corrected spherical aberrations to, say, an ancient Summar. But an obsolete idea with modern lens technologies.

I'd love to see some examples of this so-called "terrible" bokeh from a Karbe or Solms design - especially compared to something supposedly "less terrible" from some other equivalent (focal length, aperture) Leica-M lens taking the same picture.

There are some things I don't like about the post-Mandler lenses - but, as a class, poor bokeh is not usually one of them.

*in the right settings - ALL bokeh is a function of specific aperture used, and relative subject and background distances. And thus a variable, not a fixed, quality of any lens.

• Like 3

More macro-contrast than I prefer (reduces DR), too much emphasis on "MTF" rather than raw resolution (in some cases) and too pink. Or in other words, too "Zeiss/Contax-y." But I'm using a 35 ASPH and 90 Summarit right now (for the 6-bit coding) and getting by fine. It's a minor preference.

Edited by adan

More macro-contrast than I prefer (reduces DR), too much emphasis on "MTF" rather than raw resolution (in some cases) and too pink. Or in other words, too "Zeiss/Contax-y." But I'm using a 35 ASPH and 90 Summarit right now (for the 6-bit coding) and getting by fine. It's a minor preference.

The trouble is that the lens to use depends on the subject matter you take. I have two prints taken on to very different lenses - one Mandler, one Karbe - and in each case the lens used compliments the subject, lighting and even composition. To shoot either again, or similar, I would choose the same lens even if I had alternatives. As ever its horses for courses and you probably will find that your shooting style is complimented by particular lenses/designs/characteristics. Many will still complain that the nuances of lens' 'delivery' are inconsequential and often difficult to see, which can often be true enough, but for some images a lens's characteristics are 'exaggerated' to some extent by the subject's detail, or lack of, and the lighting. Add in a sympathetic composition and the sum is more than that of the parts, IMO anyway :) .

• Like 1

...I think just the 2nd hand prices will rise with the appearing of the new Noctilux.

Why do you think prices for Summilux 75 will still rise?
If the freaks will change for Noctilux 75, as they think they must have always the absolute top of optical progress, there should be some more used Summilux 75 on the market to let prices falling down - at least a little bit.

Why do you think prices for Summilux 75 will still rise?
If the freaks will change for Noctilux 75, as they think they must have always the absolute top of optical progress, there should be some more used Summilux 75 on the market to let prices falling down - at least a little bit.

It depends on the starting price of the new wide open 75. Since it will be called Noctilux I do think it will be in the region of the 0.95/50.

The old 1,0/50 were more asked for after the appearing of the new one, because it was again more in the user's minds using a real wide open 50ies.

But you'll never know. and we will see what will going to happen

It depends on the starting price of the new wide open 75. Since it will be called Noctilux I do think it will be in the region of the 0.95/50.

The old 1,0/50 were more asked for after the appearing of the new one, because it was again more in the user's minds using a real wide open 50ies.

But you'll never know. and we will see what will going to happen

Yes, we'll see, there should be no reason to sell a Summilux 75 panically.
Perhaps mine has to go for a Summicron 75 for its smaller size.
Better high ISO ranges will make oversized lenses somewhat unnecessary, and the extremely minimal DOF makes photography with rangefinder cameras more a matter of lottery than wellthought compositions of photos.

Well the Noctilux will likely be priced around the 50 .95, so will be double the value of a 75mm Summilux. 75mm Summilux prices will likely rise, or sit tight, rather than fall because while sharpness will increase and some aberration will decrease, I don't think there will be a vast difference in the look. I think 75mm Summilux prices will rise, if anything.

I am interested in the comparison between 75mm Summilux and Noctilux, but I won't be making the swap unless it's significantly better. IMO, the 75mm Summilux is rather hard to beat, all it's foibles included. I can't help but feel correcting these will take away some of it's appeal.

I really dont know what one could do with such shallow DOF? (Besides its probably unpossible to focus reliably on a M camera)

Maybe for movies.

One could use it on an SL. Or with the EVF.

Shallow DOF is quite a fad these days.

On Flickr the most appreciated portraits are those with just one eye in focus and the ears a hazy blur. ;)

• Like 1

I don't care which way the 75 Summilux prices go as mine's not for sale.

Everyone's missing the point.  By calling it a Noctilux (albeit only 1/3 stop faster than the Summilux) Leica can double the price over what it would have asked if they had kept max aperture at 1.4

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 6

I'd love to see some examples of this so-called "terrible" bokeh from a Karbe or Solms design—especially compared to something supposedly "less terrible" from some other equivalent (focal length, aperture) Leica M lens taking the same picture.

For example, the current Summilux-M 35 mm Asph's bokeh at full aperture is not very nice ... not exactly "terrible" but it does leave something to be desired. At around f/2.8, the bokeh becomes fairly nice though. The Summilux-M 50 mm Asph's bokeh usually is fair. The 50 mm, 75 mm, and 90 mm Apo-Summicrons all have excellent bokeh.

So I agree with you—the general notion that modern Leica M Asph lenses all had poor bokeh is bunkum. Some are better than others in this regard, and a few are excellent ... just as it always was.

• Like 3

For example, the current Summilux-M 35 mm Asph's bokeh at full aperture is not very nice ... not exactly "terrible" but it does leave something to be desired. At around f/2.8, the bokeh becomes fairly nice though...

It would be interesting to read about their impressions from the owners of the ZEISS 1.4/35 concerning the bokeh at full aperture.

It would be interesting to read about their impressions from the owners of the Zeiss 1.4/35 concerning the bokeh at full aperture.

Definitely and significantly better than the Summilux-M 35 mm Asph's at f/1.4 ... I don't own the Distagon 35 mm 1:1.4 ZM but I tried it at Photokina on my own camera and in direct comparison to my Summilux.

Please Leica - donate the Noctilux 75 its own tripod connector, which I already miss at the Summilux 75.

The ancient Nikkor P.C. 2.5-105mm ltm has already installed this very useful tripod connector as well as the Elmarit 2.8-135mm, which makes the combination of camera and lens very well balanced even on smaller tripods.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!