PC Super Angulon-R 28mm for interiors?

Musotographer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am thinking of getting one of these to use on my M9 and A7II mainly for architectural interiors - but I can't find any examples on the net of it used for such, only exteriors. Does anyone here have it, and use it for interiors, or would it be overkill, ordinary wide-angles 15-28 maybe being adequate for this? Thanks.

Taken with Leica SL Type 601 and PC-Super-Angulon-R 1:2.8/28 .............................

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

There is a lot on this lens in the Forum if you search, including workflow for using it on the M9 (se below) .

I bought one a while back from Forum member Manolo who is most accomplished with this lens.  However, I sold it on after a while as the lens and I didn't really get along as well as I hoped. Interesting experience though and at times I wish I still had it.

I'm sure you could contact Manolo if you wanted more information.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/191982-using-the-2828-pc-super-angulon-r-on-the-m/

Regards,
Mark
Edited by MarkP

Thanks very much both of you, that's very helpful. I suppose the obvious answer to my own question is - it depends on scale. If you're photographing the interior of a cathedral a PC lens is very helpful; if you're doing someone's sitting room you can probably manage with an ordinary WA. I did wonder about one of the Canon T&S lenses, but presumably they don't have an aperture ring, which would be a problem on an M. The PC SA 28 is very tempting, if pricey.......

Best wishes,

Christopher

Chris, I agree with your own answer to yourself. The PC lens has a much wider image circle than a standard lens, giving an effectively much wider view, but, it's effectively a cropped wider view (albeit with the crop chosen by you according to the shift you have made). This is what enables you to (for example) keep an image plane vertical. Thus that extreme wideness is not available simultaneously in any one single image, as would be the case with an ultra-wide. I would choose the PC as you suggest, for interior cathedral or church architecture, but I would tend to use a standard wide angle for room interiors. Hope this helps.

John -  never having used a T/S lens I've always been a bit hazy about what exactly they did and how, until recently when I've been looking into them - and what you have written seems to me the best common-sense simple explanation I've ever read - thank you!

Christopher

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use mine to provide perfectly aligned stitches. Here is a vertical stitch from two horizontal shots on my (now sold) R9/DMR (which made the lens equivalent to a 35mm shift). I now have an SL, and will be using it with that soon.

On this shot I used max vertical shift on the first picture, then max vertical drop on the second.

John

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

By the way, it isn't a T/S (tilt/shift) lens: it is only a shift lens. It can shift in any direction up to 11mm. Best to stop down to f11 or 16.

My two pictures above were taken on a tripod for perfect alignment.

It makes a great landscape panorama lens... max left shift, middle (zero shift) and max right shift, on a tripod = perfect alignment when stitched.

Try one!

John

Edited by jpattison

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I'm looking for some landscape example images from this lens made with the Leica M (240 or others). Shifted would be good. I'm posting this also in the M forum.

Thanks.

M