M-P 240 retail price higher than M10. Why?

dem331

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This seems to be the case at most big dealers, and also on Leica's new online store (difference is small -€20, but still).

Do you think that this is because they are positioning the M and the M10 as two different M lines for the future, so we may see a M (Typ XXX) and an M12, one with more functions (maybe built-in EVF, video etc), the other slimmer? 

Or am I reading too much into this.

Hello Enrique,

Please keep in mind that in some respects an M10 is a somewhat thinner M240. An M240 which is thinner, to a certain extent, because of what was left out.

That some people might not consider what was left out to be that significant does not take away from: When you add something to what is not there it can add to the need to & help to justify the reason for: An M240 costing more than an M10.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

The M262 price is up 8% with this latest price increase since I purchased mine in February, 2016 at the introductory $5,195 price.

If I were choosing between the M10 or M240, I'd still take the M10 at the higher price. In most features they may both be "close", but in sensor performance, especially in the upper ISO range, it's not close at all.

The M262 price is up 8% with this latest price increase since I purchased mine in February, 2016 at the introductory $5,195 price.

If I were choosing between the M10 or M240, I'd still take the M10 at the higher price. In most features they may both be "close", but in sensor performance, especially in the upper ISO range, it's not close at all.

Yes, my point is that I would expect M10 to be significantly more expensive than M, even if because the M price was reduced.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Strange price list. Odd that the MM ticks up, but no change to the M/M-P. The 262 no longer seems much of a bargain.  IIRC correctly the Q was upped fairly recently, so its absence is not unexpected, but no change to the SL. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks its all about maintaining exclusivity in the face of Sony selling a 24MP FF $4500 A series.  :)

Firstly it's an MP240 you're comparing to, not an M240. When the MP10 comes along it will balance things, and also, a price rise for the M10 has been slated for the next few weeks as mentioned above.

The M/MP240 is still viable for those who want video capability, and like myself, prefer the size of the body and excellent battery life.

It may be a few years old but it's still a superb camera.

• Like 1

Firstly it's an MP240 you're comparing to, not an M240. When the MP10 comes along it will balance things, and also, a price rise for the M10 has been slated for the next few weeks as mentioned above.

The M/MP240 is still viable for those who want video capability, and like myself, prefer the size of the body and excellent battery life.

It may be a few years old but it's still a superb camera.

I still have a feeling that we will see two lines of M cameras in the future, one with more features (Built-in EVF + rangefinder, video, etc), the other slimmer and back-to-basics.  I think the market is out there  -and many will buy both!

The M-P 240 is now part of a program where you can buy a " cheap " set, biut also as body with price-reduction to obtain. 

https://www.leica-store-berlin.de/de/c_leica_special/48?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MC+170419

This makes much more sense, with the M-P 240 €1000 below the M10-