The Leica Forum uses cookies. Read the privacy statement for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    OK, understood.

Photo
- - - - -

Price Increase S007

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 JorisV

JorisV

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • 655 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 23:29

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

Batshit crazy IMHO.  Adding $2,050 to an already overpriced body...:

https://leicarumors....g.aspx/#respond

#2 Jeff S

Jeff S

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 10,964 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:11

Probably originated from the same folks who thought the AF repair plan was genius.

Jeff

#3 YellowBelly

YellowBelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:56

There's knocking a big nail in a dinosaurs coffin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 xiaubauu2009

xiaubauu2009

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:01

Well. The reassurance of the AF fix has somehow improve the outlook of the S. So time for an over due price increase. And 2 grand is reasonable.

#5 JorisV

JorisV

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • 655 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:29

Well. The reassurance of the AF fix has somehow improve the outlook of the S. So time for an over due price increase. And 2 grand is reasonable.

I have a different take on that.  Trying to sell a 37.5MP camera in the year 2017 at a price just south of $20K is IMO not realistic anymore. 

• Eastgreenlander, MarkP, faranstudio and 1 other said thank you

#6 YellowBelly

YellowBelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:26

I know a few UK dealers who sell the other hasfuji cameras and theS and there not selling theS anymore this wouldn't help or hinder the lack of sales in theS but reaffirms their clients choices in other products. It's hopefully a fluffer before they release a new S008 at a vastly reduced price as they know there's no one buying the S007!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#7 xiaubauu2009

xiaubauu2009

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:29

I have a different take on that.  Trying to sell a 37.5MP camera in the year 2017 at a price just south of $20K is IMO not realistic anymore. 

I was being optimistic and sarcastic....

• leicapages said thank you to this

#8 erlingmm

erlingmm

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 658 posts
  • City / Ort:Oslo

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:30

It seems to be a general price adjustment to USD based on currency exchange rates towards Euro, affecting all Leica cameras, nothing specific to the S.

- ErlingMM
Edelknipser

#9 darylgo

darylgo

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:30

The $2000 may indicate they're are few sales, the cost of producing less is higher cost per body. Leica doesn't depend on the S for most of its income.
Daryl

#10 xiaubauu2009

xiaubauu2009

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:29

The $2000 may indicate they're are few sales, the cost of producing less is higher cost per body. Leica doesn't depend on the S for most of its income.

then it makes more sense to make the product higher priced as people who want will get it anyways. 

#11 rsmphoto

rsmphoto

Benutzer

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • City / Ort:Boston

Posted 21 April 2017 - 16:06

.....and this is generally not what is done when preparing the release of a new model upgrade. Merely speculating here.

#12 GMB

GMB

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • City / Ort:Brussels

Posted 21 April 2017 - 17:32

It seems to be a general price adjustment to USD based on currency exchange rates towards Euro, affecting all Leica cameras, nothing specific to the S.

Don't think so.  The dollar / EUR rate has not moved much (if anything, the dollar got stronger).  Also, all other bodies see a price increase of between 3-4.5% with the exception of the M-A (6%) and the S (12%)!!!

Not sure what Leica is thinking.  Anyway, I guess there are enough used ones on the market.

• DandA said thank you to this
Georg

#13 Jeff S

Jeff S

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 10,964 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 18:43

.....and this is generally not what is done when preparing the release of a new model upgrade. Merely speculating here.

Indeed...I recall when the 007 was announced, US dealers were briefly selling new 006 cameras for $6500 to clear inventory, and prices were declining in advance of that. I don't think there was any public acknowledgment of AF issues at that time.

I have no idea what this means as far as any new model, but it does seem strange, especially given the magnitude.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S, 21 April 2017 - 18:46.

#14 atanabe

atanabe

Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • City / Ort:Napa Valley

Posted 21 April 2017 - 19:15

Leica has tended to produce a "special edition" at the end of a run, Safari, SE  etc to use up the parts before introducing a new model.  

With a price increase, I agree that their production costs have gone up and determined that those that want it will pay the price.  This may be a sign that no new S is on the near horizon.

#15 JorisV

JorisV

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • 655 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 00:58

I am pretty confident there will be a new S.  I am still not getting this increase though, give or take $500, the S007 now costs 3x as much as the new Fuji GFX 50s...

#16 xiaubauu2009

xiaubauu2009

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 05:06

The new AF fix need to paid for by somebody.

#17 Paul J

Paul J

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:03

I would imagine they are not really selling anyway. They are are probably putting the price up so the 008 doesn't look such a big increase.

• wattsy said thank you to this
Perception. Not perfection

#18 MarkP

MarkP

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 7,584 posts
  • City / Ort:Sydney

Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:14

'Batshit crazy' sums it up nicely.

Edited by MarkP, 22 April 2017 - 11:14.

#19 proenca

proenca

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 433 posts
  • City / Ort:Lisbon

Posted 22 April 2017 - 20:33

I tried to think why, I can't figure it out. 

Honestly : the sensor is good, the lens are spetacular, but its a not full frame medium format and 37.5mp.

Who buys MF the days, needs the megapixels and the quality. the quality is there with the S007, the MP it is not.

H6D-50c has 50mp, much newer and improved sensor and its the same price.

For 6k more, you can buy the H6D-100c, which has almost 3 times more pixels.

It really blows my mind upping the price 2k on a camera that already doesnt sell that much - if any - and that should be replaced already for a 50-60-70mp variant.

so yeah, "batshit crazy" really fits like a glove.

• djmay said thank you to this

Leica M9 | Leica MM 246 

++ 18mm Super Elmar 3.4 ++ 28mm 1.4 Summilux ASPH ++ 35mm 3.5 Summaron ++ 50mm 1.4 Summilux ASPH ++ 90mm 2.0 Summicron

#20 dritz

dritz

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • City / Ort:Seattle

Posted 23 April 2017 - 01:33

I tried to think why, I can't figure it out. 

Honestly : the sensor is good, the lens are spetacular, but its a not full frame medium format and 37.5mp.

Who buys MF the days, needs the megapixels and the quality. the quality is there with the S007, the MP it is not.

H6D-50c has 50mp, much newer and improved sensor and its the same price.

For 6k more, you can buy the H6D-100c, which has almost 3 times more pixels.

It really blows my mind upping the price 2k on a camera that already doesnt sell that much - if any - and that should be replaced already for a 50-60-70mp variant.

so yeah, "batshit crazy" really fits like a glove.

Consider the reason that they don't want to sell them out.... need to make 007 supplies last until an 008 can ship at announcement time?

Or, maybe the James Bond 007 model is just worth more?

0 user(s) are reading this topic