M9-P sensor replaced -- images have marks on them

bobbywise

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That is not quite true. My Summilux 50 asph had a complete overhaul in ten days in Wetzlar.

However, at the moment the system for "clean sensor and check" is completely overstressed. An evaluation can take up to a week and if the number of cameras sent in increases any more that period can become longer, unfortunately.

Whats not quite true?

Leica manages to repair and return a camera in 4-6 weeks

If you look in the SL forum you'll find posts about an extensive rebuild of a crashed Q in ten days in Wetzlar for instance, the same time span my Summilux spent there.

I am tempted to dip into the M9 cameras I have and sent one out for sensor work, then use NO followup, no messages, IOW be perfectly passive to see what happens. Will it drop into a black hole? I have resources so that I don't care so much for the camera as I care to find the default behavior of Leica.

That's pretty much what I'm doing. I sent a DNG through to Wetzlar; they phoned me back (in NZ - it was late) and said send it in; we discussed whether to send it through the local dealer and I decided to send it direct; shipping took some time; I got an acknowledgement, then an estimate which I signed and returned.

The tracker says "in repair" since 9 June.

• Like 1

Ugh! So frustrating. 24 weeks! Thank you for the reply. Very helpful.

Hey - the longer you miss it (within reason) - the more you'll appreciate it when it comes home! And you'll have the confidence of having a corrosion risk free sensor :-) Dig out your favourite book of photographs and be as patient as you can be! :-)

Very few if any M9 or ME have been there and back in less than a month.

That is true, and probably due to a sticky supply chain. Welcome to a world of globalisation and interlocking just-(not)in-time parts supplies.  I'm sure Leica would like to see it differently, in fact, their target is to complete each repair within a week, and they do feel frustrated when it cannot be met, which is all too often. They are too small a player to have real clout.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If Leica had normal and not devoted customers,  they would have been out of business decades ago.  But there comes a point

My Nikons go to Nikon repair APS in Morton Grove, Il.   Normal turnaround is one week.  They will also do warrantee work and do not claim impact damage.

That is true, and probably due to a sticky supply chain. Welcome to a world of globalisation and interlocking just-(not)in-time parts supplies. I'm sure Leica would like to see it differently, in fact, their target is to complete each repair within a week, and they do feel frustrated when it cannot be met, which is all too often. They are too small a player to have real clout.

I am sure Leica complete each repair in 1 week. It's the weeks and months while the product is waiting for the "week" that are the problem for customers. As for JIT " just in time" I doubt Leica have ever heard of the system.Sorry,they must have,they definitly get price rises "just in time". Edited by Guest