M9-P sensor replaced -- images have marks on them

bobbywise

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I sent my M9-P and MM to Leica back in February for changing the corroded sensor.

They both came back the other day.

Just shot a bit with the M9-P, and it seems the new sensor has marks on the images.

What do you think of the following image ?

Are the marks due to a faulty sensor, or just oil on the sensor (because they Leica didn't properly clean it before dispatch).

33943746242_28b9a55713_b.jpgLeica M9-P changed sensor - marks by Robert Wisbey, on Flickr

The black specks or dots most likely are mere spots of dust. The mottled sky seems a bit unusual but could be a result of some post processing of the picture; hard to say, really, without knowing how the image was produced.

• 1 month later...

I sent my Leica M9-P into the San Francisco Leica store back in February and they said wait time for corroded sensor repair is 3-months max. I heard literally NOTHING from them and called to inquire a few weeks ago and they said it was received by Leica Repair in New Jersey in April. When I dropped it off at the store, they told me it would have to go to Germany. Then when I talked to them a few weeks ago, they said only the SL goes to Germany. ?! So, I'm led to believe they didn't even send it in until a few months later. Now it's June 11, 2017, and it's been over 4 months and they said there's NO WAY to know where my camera is in the queue in NJ. They said there's also NO WAY to determine for me when it will get fixed. I am appalled at the horrific customer service from Leica. I even sent an email to the NJ Repair center a week ago and have yet to get a reply. Does anyone have any tips on how to get information on when your camera will be repaired? Is there a special number I need to call to speak to a live person in NJ? This whole experience has left such a bad taste in my mouth with Leica. Apparently you only pay for the camera, and customer service is non-existent. I actually could understand the delay if it went to Germany and one man was working on it, but it's no follow-up at all. Ridiculous! I've had better luck with United Airlines for crying out loud. Appreciate any/all advice. Thank you! :)

I am tempted to dip into the M9 cameras I have and sent one out for sensor work, then use NO followup, no messages, IOW be perfectly passive to see what happens. Will it drop into a black hole? I have resources so that I don't care so much for the camera as I care to find the default behavior of Leica.

Edited by pico
  • Like 2

The simplest remedy is to pick up the phone and ask. Telephone numbers are on the Leica website. However, the onus to find out what is happening is on the camera store where you dropped the camera off. There is a good reason that many of us prefer to deal with Leica Customer Service (preferably Wetzlar) directly. Not that there aren't some excellent dealers out there.

• Like 1

I sent my Leica M9-P into the San Francisco Leica store back in February and they said wait time for corroded sensor repair is 3-months max. I heard literally NOTHING from them and called to inquire a few weeks ago and they said it was received by Leica Repair in New Jersey in April. When I dropped it off at the store, they told me it would have to go to Germany. Then when I talked to them a few weeks ago, they said only the SL goes to Germany. ?! So, I'm led to believe they didn't even send it in until a few months later. Now it's June 11, 2017, and it's been over 4 months and they said there's NO WAY to know where my camera is in the queue in NJ. They said there's also NO WAY to determine for me when it will get fixed. I am appalled at the horrific customer service from Leica. I even sent an email to the NJ Repair center a week ago and have yet to get a reply. Does anyone have any tips on how to get information on when your camera will be repaired? Is there a special number I need to call to speak to a live person in NJ? This whole experience has left such a bad taste in my mouth with Leica. Apparently you only pay for the camera, and customer service is non-existent. I actually could understand the delay if it went to Germany and one man was working on it, but it's no follow-up at all. Ridiculous! I've had better luck with United Airlines for crying out loud. Appreciate any/all advice. Thank you! :)

That sounds horrible! First i would contact the dealer again to see if they can supply you with a customer or estimate number. Also have your camera serial number handy. Then call the NJ center directly. It takes several minutes to answer, maybe up to 10 or 15, but they will answer eventually. Then you can ask where your camera is, either in NJ or in Germany. They can also give you a timeline of when they received your camera and when they inspected it. Yours should have been done sooner. But it seems that the dealer might have taken their time to send it out.

For comparison, i sent my M9 directly to NJ on May 15th, they emailed me as "received" on May 24th. And last week on June 8th i got my official estimate paper showing that it is getting the sensor replaced eventually. But keep in mind that they told me it might be 24 weeks for the repairs to complete. So we are all practically in a leica black hole for an undetermined amount of time.  :huh:

Its funny how we are all happy if Leica manages to repair and return a camera in 4-6 weeks me included, I had to return a Canon 1dx for a warranty repair it took three days......

That is not quite true. My Summilux 50 asph had a complete overhaul in ten days in Wetzlar.

However, at the moment the system for "clean sensor and check" is completely overstressed. An evaluation can take up to a week and if the number of cameras sent in increases any more that period can become longer, unfortunately.

• Like 1

The simplest remedy is to pick up the phone and ask. Telephone numbers are on the Leica website. However, the onus to find out what is happening is on the camera store where you dropped the camera off. There is a good reason that many of us prefer to deal with Leica Customer Service (preferably Wetzlar) directly. Not that there aren't some excellent dealers out there.

That sounds horrible! First i would contact the dealer again to see if they can supply you with a customer or estimate number. Also have your camera serial number handy. Then call the NJ center directly. It takes several minutes to answer, maybe up to 10 or 15, but they will answer eventually. Then you can ask where your camera is, either in NJ or in Germany. They can also give you a timeline of when they received your camera and when they inspected it. Yours should have been done sooner. But it seems that the dealer might have taken their time to send it out.

For comparison, i sent my M9 directly to NJ on May 15th, they emailed me as "received" on May 24th. And last week on June 8th i got my official estimate paper showing that it is getting the sensor replaced eventually. But keep in mind that they told me it might be 24 weeks for the repairs to complete. So we are all practically in a leica black hole for an undetermined amount of time. :huh: