Best 50mm Leica Lens for the M9?

Sub'erman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Of course the APO is great for the M9. But are you sure that 50 is your favorite angle, before you start investing. Someone said here that the recent summicron28 might be just as good or very close in an absolute sense

I bought a 50 Summicron version V as my first lens for my ME. There is a great review on Ken Rockwell. I thought I was a 50 person as my first SLR (Pentax Spotmatic F) had a 50:1.4 but after I bought the 35 Summicron ASPH, I realised it is my favourite.

In fact when I recently travelled through Spain it was the one lens I took.

I bought a 50 Summicron version V as my first lens for my ME. There is a great review on Ken Rockwell. I thought I was a 50 person as my first SLR (Pentax Spotmatic F) had a 50:1.4 but after I bought the 35 Summicron ASPH, I realised it is my favourite.

In fact when I recently travelled through Spain it was the one lens I took.

I have a 35mm Summarit 2.4. I am considering whether the 50mm and the 35mm are too close to each other. Maybe a 75mm is the way to go...?

Edited by Sub'erman

Yes that could be. I see my 75 as a 50 actually. That's why I have 'just' an Elmar50 (astounding image quality) aside my 75lux.

The opinions about the Summicron 75 are quite divided here in the forum, much more less so with the Summilux 50 asph.

If you can wait, I would wait, if I were you, because there's a new M lens coming. That is, if money is not involved in your doubts.

Edited by otto.f

• 2 weeks later...

The 50mm Lux Asph is easily my favourite 50mm M lens. 

I did use the 50mm Summitar, Summicron I, II and IV as well as the Summilux Pre Asph

Haven't used any version of the Noctilux, the Apo Summicron or the slower 50mm lenses. - so I can't comment on them. 

For me the Lux Asph really is a perfect allround lens. 

• Like 1