Best 50mm Leica Lens for the M9?

Sub'erman

"Best" depends on what you value and how you will use it. I have several 50s I use on my M9, and each has its strengths. Overall the Summicron v5 tends to give my favorite images, but I prefer the handling of the Summarit 1.5, and in tricky lighting situations the Zeiss Planar is best, and is about tied with the v5 in sharpness.

I have a Summilux and Nokton 1.5, but even though they may only be "slightly" larger to some, I much prefer the smaller lenses.

The Summicron APO is priced beyond what I am willing to pay.

• Like 2

It is hard to find one if you are limited with money. I tried Nokton 50 1.5 VM and disliked handling very quickly, I sold Planar ZM even faster. I sold Summarit 50 1.5 because it was so heavy. Cron Rigid I have was front focusing slightly until it stopped to f5.6.

I think, fresh, after Canada, German Summicron is the safest bet.

Any Summicron starting with V2, rigid. As versions are introduced, wide open performance improves.

Last 50 1.4 Bekeh nice, good wide open image

50 APO. Best if you have the money

Stay away from CV & Zeiss.

What's wrong with CV and Zeiss? I use both on my M9 and get lovely results from them.

Sent from my SGP611 using Tapatalk

I'm getting a 50mm from Leica. Other brands may as good or even better in some people's views. But for me it's Leica or bust!! I'd rather save up some more and get the lens I want. As with other items in my life; Get the real McCoy or wait. The substitute ever gives me the same buzz... But that's just me...

• Like 1

What's wrong with CV and Zeiss? I use both on my M9 and get lovely results from them.

Sent from my SGP611 using Tapatalk

Mechanics of the lens is not up to Leica standards, CV especially.  If you disagree,  I have 3 CV paperweights that I will sell cheap and as is.  Then there is the Zeiss wobble.

Mechanics of the lens is not up to Leica standards, CV especially. If you disagree, I have 3 CV paperweights that I will sell cheap and as is. Then there is the Zeiss wobble.

My Nokton Classic and Zeiss Planar are both beautifully built and more importantly deliver the goods optically. Plus combined they were less than half the price of a new Summicron.
  • Like 2

Nokton VM has heavy purple fringing wide open, it is bad on human faces. And it is not the lens to be focused fast even with short focus. More faster I was trying to move it, more it was resisting and more sharp edges of the focus ring were on my fingers. This lens has awkward shaped shade (hood), which tends to unscrew by itself.    

Zeiss Planar is safest bet on moderate priced 50 lenses in M-mount. But focusing ring has weird (sandy) feel and sound in it and aperture clicks are too tight and too much of the going between f2 and f5.6. Every time I was switching it, it was more like operating of machinery. But I really like the original hood and Zeiss protective filter should be nominated for best packaging.  :)

At some point I have Rigid, Nokton and Planar by same time. My Rigid wasn't sharpest one at f2, but it was most natural, easiest in handling and rendering was true Leica class. 

BTW. Leitz made close up attachment for Rigid as well, which is very similar to DR goggles.

• Like 2

Id have to say for me the Summicron is the best overall 50mm. I've tried the Summilux , Voigt Nocton, and the Summarit.  The Summicron always seems to have the best overall performance for me.  But that's just me. 

Just any Summicron? Or do you have a specific one that you recommend?

Don't know what else you have. If you like the more modern look, the latest 50 Summilux is it. Really small considering the aperture and acceptable in weight in the black standard incarnation. The Silver one is the heaviest - the limited edition one is brass, too, but sightly lighter, especially if the hood is not used. The Lux also focusses down to 0.7m, which is important for tighter head shots. the older Summicrons are nice (I have one, too), but I find the 1m close focus limitation sometimes .... well, limiting.

May I (also) suggest the Summicron IV/V. It is excellent up to close distance (70-80 cm) and has this very modern, reliable, shallow plane of focus up to the edges. 

The best reason I can think of for a recommendation is the ergonomic factor.

It focusses so fast (90 degrees turning; and turning the focus goes very soft and smooth), and the RF spot reacts so quickly that taking pictures becomes a very pleasant exercise. Very very precise. 

I have a chrome version, btw.

albert

ps. I also have worked with the Canon 1.4 and a Sonnar 1.5 copy. Overall, the Summi comes out best; wide-open the Canon is good close-up but not beyond 4-5 meters (stopped down it is a killer)

• Like 1