80mm Summilux-R F/1.4 OR 90mm Elmarit-R F/2.8 vs.II?

billyboy66

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been going back and forth on which lens to get for portraits and just general photography.  This is for a Canon 5DSR and Canon 6D (FF) so it has to be capable of working on a Canon with a lens adapter! 

I first thought about getting the Elmarit-R 90mm F2.8 version 2, E-55 because I heard great things about it, but they're hard to find, other than at KEH in "bargain" condition.  Then I was looking on this site, and everyone was raving about the 80mm Summilux-R F/1.4 and said that any Leica collection isn't complete w/o this lens. But I didn't hear anyone say that it's a great portrait lens. I like Leica because of the unique look that each lens brings to a photograph.  Otherwise, I really like Zeiss lenses as a second.

I have the Elmarit-R 28mm F/2.8 E-55 and the Summicron-R 50mm F/2 vs- I (1966) which is a fantastic lens even though others came after version 1.  I also have a Zeiss 100mm Makro F/2, but I'm not sure if it's a good portrait lens and because of CA, I don't feel comfortable about using it for professional work.

If you could only afford one lens, which would you get for portrait work given that I have a Leica for 50mm and a Zeiss for 100mm general work and 1:2 Makro?  Are these two lenses so good that I should try to find a good deal on each one, BUT then why and for what kind of photo work for each?  What kind of Leica touch does each one give to the photos?

Also, is the 60mm Elmarit-R Makro F/2.8 any good for this type of work, or is it not even in the class of the other two?

Thanks.
Bill

80mm Summilux hands down, for me the only real nice portrait lenses for the Leica R are the 90mm APO-Summicron-R and the 80mm Summilux-R.

I wrote an article a while ago about the 80mm Summilux-R:

http://jipvankuijk.nl/summilux-r-80-leica-r8-m-typ-240/

The Macro Elmarit-R 60mm is an amazing lens which can be used for a lot of different things, from Macro, to a long standard lens, to portraits! 

Edited by jip

I recently found a slightly scruffy though optically perfect 80R at a very good price - so my immaculate and coded 75/1.4 M is up for sale. At over £1500 difference in value I can't possibly justify keeping the 75 when the 80 is such a joy. I actually find it easier to focus, and with its slightly more backward weight distribution it sits better on the camera (an A7II, until I get an M10 with its Live View.) It's a glorious lens, in fact two lenses - painterly and atmospheric at f1.4-2, and wonderfully sharp from f5.6. It's on my camera more often than not now, which certainly wasn't the case with the 75, lovely though it is - and the 75 frame lines on the M9 are not helpful.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The OP wrote: "I first thought about getting the Elmarit-R 90mm F2.8 version 2, E-55 because I heard great things about it, but they're hard to find, other than at KEH in "bargain" condition."

Based on the three items rated as bargain condition that I bought from KEH, I believe KEH takes a conservative path with condition ratings. On my items I couldn't find any scratches, dents, or wear marks that would justify a bargain rating. All work perfectly.

KEH does offer a 14-day return policy with a full refund.

Depends on the type of portrait you take, Elmarit-R 1:2.8/90 is sharper and suitable for taking man or aged people, while taking portrait photo of young girl or woman the Summilux-R 1:1.4/80 is more suitable because of softer rendition.

Use the Summilux-R 80 for both sexes, at f1.4 for women and at f5.6 for men!

Guy

• Like 2

Personally I find the Apo Asph 90/2 R a bit too ruthlessly sharp for portraits. The 100/2.8 macro has a long focus throw and is not totally convenient to use. Purely in terms of the lenses I've got, I've used the 50/2 with 2x Apo extender, and not found the f/4 aperture a problem; the combination gives a nice classic Leica look, without being too clinical. I suspect the earlier non Apo 90/2 might also be nice, though I've never tried it.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone.  I keep hearing two groups of people, the ones that say 80R and the other 90mm Elmarit, and one other smaller group that say 90mm Summicron.  I think the main difference between the 90mm Elmarit E-55 and the 80R is that the 90mm E is razor sharp and accurate in an institutional way.  The 80R is softer and therefore better for portraits.  I also hear over and over that the 80R is the one lens to own if you don't own any other Leica lens. 

I think I'm going to see if I can get the 80R then.  It sounds like it's more on the creative side and that's what I'm looking for.  I have a Zeiss Makro 100mm and that's razor sharp also and close to the 90mm, so if I'm doing portraits where I need SHARP, then I have that lens, but I'm looking for more creativity.

Here's my final question, some people say that the 80R can take some bad photos, like a over-busy bokeh photo if you don't shoot it correctly.  What are the things I need to know about shooting with this lens and what causes that to happen?  How do I take pictures that take advantage of it's best attributes?

Sorry but 'over-busy' bo-keh, what's that in the first place, and how can one ever see that on a 80lux R. Beats me. Total crap.

This lens has, just as the 75lux, a very regular pattern in increase of contrast/focal depth/sharpness, just like a perfect parabola, going from f1.4 to f16, with the top between 5.6 and 8. This pattern is nowhere that regular under Leica lenses from that generation. The idea 'if you don't shoot it correctly' seems a totally unnecessary worry to me.

Watch out for the rubber ring on the focussing ring (which is metal on the 75lux). It can come loose in older and heavy worn/tropical used copies. So I wouldn't buy per mail/internet only, if I were you.

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

How is the 90mm Summicron?  I hear that the 90mm Elmarit is a bit muddy looking in color, but the Summicron is much better while still being sharp - what do you think?

Which summicron ;) there are a few 90mm summicron's... the only one I truely like is the APO-Summicron-R 90mm 

The R80 is a dream for portraits wide open. I used it a lot with my Leica R8.

Still no bargain and you should think about if its worth the money and how often you use it ?

The Zeiss 100 is a hell of a lens too but maybe not the first choice for some portraitwork right ?

So ask youself how often you use it ? Maybe sell it and use the money for something different

to complete your gear the better way - maybe with a Leica Vario-Elmar R 4,0/80-200 ?

28 - 50 and 80-200 would be a idea right ?

I owned the 19 and the 24 (instead of the 28) too and would suggest the Leica Elmartit 2,8/19 for the next step !

• Like 1

I was thinking about the 90mm Summicron-R.  Not the APO and I don't see any other 90mm Summicron-R other than the regular pre-APO and the APO version, unlike the 90mm Elmarit, which has a couple of versions. 

I was thinking about a telephoto, but I keep hearing that the telephotos are not made by Leica, but made by other manufacturers, plus the older Leica lenses are from the generation when telephotos are not as good as prime lenses. 

I'm starting to think that maybe the Zeiss 100mm I have or even the Zeiss/Rollei 90mm out there wouldn't be a bad step because it's selling for around $200-$400 in great condition, though I guess I shouldn't be saying that on a Leica site.  I kind of give up on Leica at this point because some of the good portrait lenses are so expensive!  I got the 50mm Summicron for close to nothing on KEH and another 28mm F/2.8 for $1800, but it's an E-55 and I saw it on Ebay for $2500, and it's super sharp, but for a portrait lens, I can't get a lens that would be under $1000 and less than 25 years old.

The only one that's in the ballpark is the 90mm Elmarit version 1 (Series 7) and while I hear that it's fairly sharp and goes for $400, I don't hear anyone standing up and yelling to get that one! 

What do you think of that Leica lens - is it even worth it for portrait work?  Otherwise, I think I may have to wait until I have more momentum to spend a lot more because I'm recovering from that Elmarit 28mm F/2.8.  Again, what about the 90mm Series 7/vs. 1?
Thanks.

The 80-200 is made by Kyocera, but it's optical design is by Leica (unlike some of the early Leica Zoom lenses, which were just rebadged Minolta lenses) and it's simply stunning! 

These are great, designed by Leica and made by Kyocera.

Vario-Elmar-R 1:4/80-200 

Vario-Elmar-R 1:4/35-70 Macro

While these are Minolta rebrands:

Vario-Elmar-R 1:4,5/80-200

Vario-Elmar-R 1:3,5/35-70

• Like 1

For my taste, the Summilux-R 80 is simply the perfection for classical portraits.

The Summicron-R 90 (non APO version) is another wonderful lens for portraits, a little more aggressive in the rendering than the Summilux but very nice indeed.

The 90 Elmarit-R has a type of rendering that could be described as more dramatic perhaps, since the tonal resolution is not on par with the previous two lenses. I'm not using it for portraits, since when I want this type of rendering I still prefer the APO 100 Marco.

When I need a lens that is a tad longer, I like very much the rendering of the Elmairt-R 135.

Should I have to choose only one lens, the Summilux 80 or Summicron 90 would be the choice.

This one with Summilux 80, f:2 if I remember well.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2