When the Leica Forum was young

abrewer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Update from 2002. You were there John ;) and Andreas of course.

Albert B. Knapp MD (albertknappmd): 10-2002
Alessandro Fanchin (alessandro): 09-2002
Andreas Jürgensen (admin): 09-2002
Andy Barton (tess): 09-2002
Andy Whysall Carlisle (dodger): 12-2002
Bob Haight (bhaight): 10-2002
Bob Todrick (bobtodrick): 09-2002
Brent (bnfotografie): 10-2002
Chris (twom4): 10-2002
Conrad (mgcd): 09-2002
Dana Curtis Kincaid (fastfashn): 10-2002
Edward Caliguri (ejc): 09-2002
Edwin Kwan (edkwan): 09-2002
Frank Meeker (pxlpal2): 09-2002
George Sekely (george): 09-2002
Gepetto (gepetto): 11-2002
Giuliano Gavazzi (giuliano): 10-2002
Haris Dobardzic (haris): 09-2002
John Francis (john_f): 09-2002
john howarth (masjah): 10-2002
John R Mead (john_mead): 09-2002
john west (steed2): 09-2002
Joseph J. Barbano (symmetron): 09-2002
Justin Scott (hektor): 09-2002
Ken Hambleton (hamey): 10-2002
LCT (lct): 09-2002
Lincoln Moult Swindon (lincoln_m): 09-2002
Luc Janssens (luc): 12-2002
Mike Richards (richam): 12-2002
Pascal Heyman (leicapages): 09-2002
Pascal Méheut (pascal_meheut: 09-2002
Paul Martino (martinop): 11-2002
pelizza giuseppe (pelizza): 10-2002
Peter Ayres (peter_john): 11-2002
Renato V. Gorni (rené): 09-2002
Robert Frederick Parker (robert_parker): 09-2002
Rui Miguel Loureiro Espanhol (respanhol): 10-2002
Sam Wells (samwells): 09-2002
Steve Hoffman (steve_hoffman): 10-2002
Steve Smurf (leicasmurf): 12-2002
Steve Unsworth (stunsworth): 09-2002
tim power (timpower): 09-2002
Edited by lct
  • Like 1

When did "Yur" register?

I think Yur was a very good friend of Brent, and I think was on the old forum. I think he found it difficult to keep in touch on the Forum because of the time he spent on cruising on his many luxury yachts, accompanied by numerous lovely ladies.

• Like 2

Seeing Steve Unsworth's name on there reminds me that we were both on another forum before this, I enjoyed his pics of Paris when he was working there, I can't remember which forum that was though.

Gerry

Seeing Steve Unsworth's name on there reminds me that we were both on another forum before this, I enjoyed his pics of Paris when he was working there, I can't remember which forum that was though.

Hi Gerry, thanks. I think back then I would have been posting them to the LUG - which was a mailing list rather than a forum.

It appears I'm relatively new here - I just checked, I had my 10 yr anniversary on April 23rd.

I had just bought an used M3 then and had some questions. The M3 quickly became my main camera, not the planned collector piece and the rest followed on...

Not wanting to distract this discussion, I have posted an anniversary picture taken April 23rd here.

Stefan

• Like 1

Hi Gerry, thanks. I think back then I would have been posting them to the LUG - which was a mailing list rather than a forum.

Yes thats it, I used to get the digests .  Going since 1992, and still exists apparently, here is one of yours from 2002?

http://www.steveunsworth.co.uk/PAW/Week_01.htm

Very HCB!

Gerry

• Like 1

My recollection is that Andy B organized a collection of his photos from the Forum, and it was presented to her as a gesture of love and respect for his contributions.

Is my memory correct on that?

Stuart - unfortunately, your memory has failed you this time.

If someone on the forum did indeed do this for Rene's widow, then that was a fine gesture, but it was not me, I'm afraid.

• Like 1

...here is one of yours from 2002?

http://www.steveunsworth.co.uk/PAW/Week_01.htm

Very HCB!

Thanks Gerry, it was a magical time in my life. My only regret is that when I look back at the scans from then I can see that I was revisiting the same places again and again - Pont des Arts and the Palais Royal figure heavily (I was living about 5 mins walk from both of them). However that doesn't mean I didn't have a great time.

• Like 1

Andy -

It was the OP, Allan Brewer, not me, who wrote: 

My recollection is that Andy B organized a collection of his photos from the Forum, and it was presented to her as a gesture of love and respect for his contributions.

Is my memory correct on that?

• Like 2

I remember those old days on the LUG, with Steve and many others. That was during "The Family Of Man 11" period which places it squarely in the year 2000 at the start.

I had a different name on the old forum, I think I used my full name, unlike now where erl is part of my middle name. I dropped using my name because an American photographer habitually abused me every time I posted Noctilux pictures. The easiest way to avoid him was a name change.

My first clear recollection of participating on the LUF was when a flight from Morocco to Paris was late and I got stranded there. It just happened that an event called 'The One Challenge' just happened to be being contested in Paris during my stop over. I entered and manage to take off second place. That was exciting, since I had no idea what it was really about. I have been to most Challenges since.

Wow! That is a lot of water under the bridge.

• Like 3

Stuart - unfortunately, your memory has failed you this time.

If someone on the forum did indeed do this for Rene's widow, then that was a fine gesture, but it was not me, I'm afraid.

Yes, sadly my memory (among other things) is not what it used to be! :D

???

Thank you, but that is precisely the kind of cumbersome theory I never want to deal with anymore.
My lifetime has gotten too short to study complicated rules of entry into any archives just to find something there perhaps.
Similar searches I had to do at earlier times occasionally for my profession.
Who does not implement the rule "Keep it simple" remains unaffected.
Too bad, it might have been a pleasure to read some pages of the former Leica-Forum again, but please only with simpler accessibility.