Revisiting MF systems

erlingmm

S didn't really have a real competition before. Now they have. X1d is not really but FUJI is.

The same for SL as for today.

I hope Leica will not move at dinosaur speed on S.

Dinosaur died.

They won't die, they have SL and M to support them. But S might move in the direction of Dodo, if they are not changing.

• 2 weeks later...

We - well, at least some in this forum who can afford it - can be happy that there is a variety of digital MF cameras to choose from, meanwhile.

Leica S, the new Fuji, the new Hassi and don't forget Pentax 645! (And of course those that cost as much as half a house...) ;)

With this scenario, a photographer has the choice between several different systems and you can decide for that one which is the best for your demands.

For me it would either be the Fuji (because it seems to be the over-all best system) or the Hassi (because of its amazing small size), rather than the Pentax (which I had as a film cam and which was just too large and heavy for my taste). 

Pretty much as if you needed to decide between a Nikon DSLR, a Sony Alpha or a Leica M. Each one is a great cam and offers different advantages.

Edited by LucisPictor

I think Leica S lenses to be excellent.

I have not seen them on any higher than 37MP, but I do not have many doubts that they will perform on higher MP as well.

I can not believe that Leica creates a system with lenses which would be only good for the first generation resolution of such a system.

Which better lenses from other brands do you mean? On which sensors have you compared them to the S lenses and in which regards you find them mecanically much better?

And Peter Karbe has previously stated that the S lenses are already capable of out-resolving the next generation of sensors too.

I would guess there are a substantial number of Leica (or other brand)  owners who do not know the individuals that are behind the design of the various products and components.

well, looks like I am one of them ignoramus...

Just did a search on him... 

Edited by xiaubauu2009

well, looks like I am one of them ignoramus...

Just did a search on him... 

I hope you did not take my comment to mean you were an ignoramus. I meant that knowing the individual does not make one a better photographer. You have demonstrated that you are a capable photographer.

Jesse

Edited by djmay

I would guess there are a substantial number of Leica (or other brand)  owners who do not know the individuals that are behind the design of the various products and components.

I could not name a single other significant design figure/optics designer for most other brands, certainly.  Zeiss would be an exception. Amongst Leica enthusiasts, designers such as Walter Mandler and Peter Karbe have a higher profile, I think and there is a lot of worthwhile information available. Interested folks can find interviews and articles on-line, I think that those are a great resource for understanding a little, especially for people very interested in comparing camera /lens performance across brands. On design philosophy and performance the products designed under Peter Karbe's leadership represent my personal ideal.

I hope you did not take my comment to mean you were an ignoramus. I meant that knowing the individual does not make one a better photographer. You have demonstrated that you are a capable photographer.

Jesse

my post adding the statement by Peter Karbe was in response to post by xiaubauu2009,

"I think the Leica S lens is design just for the 37m pixel. It work well with that fat pixel. Other system do have better lens with much lower price. Also argueably better construction and better design. That is the reason why I left Leica for good. Cause it's not logical anymore." 

Arguably on all of those other points too, perhaps but that doesn't matter. Personally I have no experience at all with the Hasselblad lenses/cameras and only have used some of the X series lenses from Fujifilm. Those have nothing like the better construction and the prices! of Leica S lenses, in my experience. I think that Peter Karbe's information is of interest to S lens users or future users in any case.

I don't think that anyone else said anything about knowing something of the designers making you a better photographer or otherwise and nothing about 'ignoramus' either!

Edited by hoppyman

GFX + TS-E17mm... I think the widest you can go with full coverage and even shift on a MF camera. Talk about versatility... 3 image stitched, slight cut off at corners at extreme shift of 12mm.

33624146264_ae499accc5_h.jpg

Menara KL from Hell Lounge Bar, XPAN ratio crop, also with the TS-E 17mm with slight up shift for perspective correction.

34081712360_ea64221f28_h.jpg

• Like 7

GFX + TS-E17mm... I think the widest you can go with full coverage and even shift on a MF camera. Talk about versatility... 3 image stitched, slight cut off at corners at extreme shift of 12mm.

33624146264_ae499accc5_h.jpg

Menara KL from Hell Lounge Bar, XPAN ratio crop, also with the TS-E 17mm with slight up shift for perspective correction.

34081712360_ea64221f28_h.jpg

Very nice city-scapes!

Do you notice optical degeneration with 3rd party lenses due to the glass cover on the GFX-sensor?

I don't notice, in fact that glass cover is very very very clever as it eliminates any dust specks on the image! Up until now I haven't had any trouble with dust, which is amazing considering that I change lens quite often and the sensor is totally exposed...

Anyway, TS-E 17mm center IQ is ok, the edge is not that good, but you use this lens for its special view angle...

• Like 1

If Neil's contact is right about an 80MP S, and my guess is this is right, based on everything that Leica have ever said about staying at 37MP and there needing to be double the resolution to make a difference for an upgrade, then I will jump into the S System. That is what I've been waiting for.

Edited by Paul J