Revisiting MF systems

erlingmm

I think the Leica S lens is design just for the 37m pixel. It work well with that fat pixel. Other system do have better lens with much lower price. Also argueably better construction and better design. That is the reason why I left Leica for good. Cause it's not logical anymore.

I think the Leica S lens is design just for the 37m pixel. It work well with that fat pixel. Other system do have better lens with much lower price. Also argueably better construction and better design. That is the reason why I left Leica for good. Cause it's not logical anymore.

I am not sure about that. Based on my experience, most S glasses if not all are awesome, even 24 is great on most of frame minus last bit of corner start from WO. I would be surprised those lenses can't handle 100M+ 45X30 sensor.

I can't say much about AF or construction though, as I do feel their AF sluggish and untrustable, not only reliability but also accuracy and repeatability, I hope it is just body's fault and can be improved with future S8.

I am not sure about that. Based on my experience, most S glasses if not all are awesome, even 24 is great on most of frame minus last bit of corner start from WO. I would be surprised those lenses can't handle 100M+ 45X30 sensor.

I can't say much about AF or construction though, as I do feel their AF sluggish and untrustable, not only reliability but also accuracy and repeatability, I hope it is just body's fault and can be improved with future S8.

It handles very well the 6micron ish sensor from Leica, but I am really not too sure about the 4micron stuff from the 100mp (if CMOSIS ever come out with sensor this small in the first place).

Mechanically it's pretty outdated, and the fact that it has long flange distance, which mean it will continue to be a Mirror box SLR, hence the focus-ing issue with the AF. Anyway, S008 really need to be something relevant in the future for this line to survive.

Your experience, but i still disagree, I think the build and quality of the 24 is stellar. IF you want to compare, do apples to apples, that is match it with other wide angle MF lenses, at same aperture. WHo else delivers a MF 24? At 3,5 aperture? How do they compare? IF the other lens does not have 3,5, then compare at same aperture - it should not be used against Leica that they produce wider apertures than others.

But, I will do a full aperture test of the 24 at full resolution and post link to Dropbox here, just give me a few days - work is calling.

Edited by erlingmm
  • Like 1

Your experience, but i still disagree, I think the build and quality of the 24 is stellar. IF you want to compare, do apples to apples, that is match it with other wide angle MF lenses, at same aperture. WHo else delivers a MF 24? At 3,5 aperture? How do they compare? IF the other lens does not have 3,5, then compare at same aperture - it should not be used against Leica that they produce wider apertures than others.

But, I will do a full aperture test of the 24 at full resolution and post link to Dropbox here, just give me a few days - work is calling.

Fuji's 23mm is coming out pretty soon. From previous experience with every single GFX lens they have produced (give me a lens that doesn't focus shift...). I am sure it will be better than Leica. You can't argue the fact Leica S is older in design. Material technology, coating technology, computing calculation capability is different after close to 8 years of advancement... so yes, I can pretty confident to say that Fujifilm will do a better UW than Leica S.... couple with more reliable workmanship and durability... no brainer really...

Edited by xiaubauu2009

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Anyway, what's the point. I loved the S, got 3 of their body and 6 of their lens...

I know what is what and I respect the system, just not the way they handle their product, making it too difficult to own and maintain.

Good luck to your ownership and as long as you love it, it's all good!!!!

I think Leica S lenses to be excellent.

I have not seen them on any higher than 37MP, but I do not have many doubts that they will perform on higher MP as well.

I can not believe that Leica creates a system with lenses which would be only good for the first generation resolution of such a system.

Which better lenses from other brands do you mean? On which sensors have you compared them to the S lenses and in which regards you find them mecanically much better?

I am sorry, I think I made a mistake with the resolution part. I do believe it will resolve more than 37mp, cause lens from Contax 645 will resolve my 100mp Phaseone with no problem. There's no doubt S lens will resolve.

Better lens from other brand... has to be a portable SLR system with SLR lens design, so far I can only say Fujifilm, Phaseone XF and its monster Blue ring lens are better, but I have not used it so can't say much. Fujiflm is better, particular the zoom and at 1/3 the price. Faster focus, silent, accurate, smaller, lighter. The other Fuji lens will be pretty good and comparable if not better than Leica S lens in the future and all of them will be about 1/3 of Leica lens.

As for mechanical reliability, really, I don't want to go there...

We thought H lens was good, until you put them to test on these new sensor....

Edited by xiaubauu2009
  • Like 1

I am sorry, I think I made a mistake with the resolution part. I do believe it will resolve more than 37mp, cause lens from Contax 645 will resolve my 100mp Phaseone with no problem. There's no doubt S lens will resolve.

Just curious how do you adapt the Contax 645 lenses to your 100 mp PhaseOne back? I thought that P1 dropped the Contax support several years ago.

Fuji's 23mm is coming out pretty soon. From previous experience with every single GFX lens they have produced (give me a lens that doesn't focus shift...). I am sure it will be better than Leica. You can't argue the fact Leica S is older in design. Material technology, coating technology, computing calculation capability is different after close to 8 years of advancement... so yes, I can pretty confident to say that Fujifilm will do a better UW than Leica S.... couple with more reliable workmanship and durability... no brainer really...

In your new "S Appreciation" thread, you write that "nothing will ever come close" to the S 24.

That gives new meaning to "no brainer".

Jeff

Just curious how do you adapt the Contax 645 lenses to your 100 mp PhaseOne back? I thought that P1 dropped the Contax support several years ago.

Alpa FPS + the contax mount

Alpa 12FPS + Contax Shift Mount, I think shifted 8mm down... + IQ3 100mp, 10 shots stacking to get the light trail.

31609105433_0dd4a51b85_h.jpg

Edited by xiaubauu2009
  • Like 9

read the whole sentence, I 'believe'... I don't anymore...

I believe is present tense.... you wrote it 6 hours after your Fuji comments. If your appreciation thread comments are no longer true, I suggest you change them to "I used to believe..."

Jeff

I believe is present tense.... you wrote it 6 hours after your Fuji comments. If your appreciation thread comments are no longer true, I suggest you change them to "I used to believe..."

Jeff

I am not english native speaker. Can't you tell? Hahahahaha. Present/pass is so hard for me to follow...

• Like 1

I am not english native speaker. Can't you tell? Hahahahaha. Present/pass is so hard for me to follow...

Your English is better than my non-English.

It does help to understand your thoughts, however, since the dual posts have opposite points of view regarding the S24.

Jeff

Mechanically it's pretty outdated, and the fact that it has long flange distance, which mean it will continue to be a Mirror box SLR, hence the focus-ing issue with the AF. Anyway, S008 really need to be something relevant in the future for this line to survive.

Why does a longer flange difference mean it HAS to be a DSLR. It could be. But the next camera could just have a thinner body with an extended mount. Or Leica could reduce the flange distance and make a fully functional adaptor so the lenses work the same as they do on the SL (my preference). That way they could make new smaller lenses AND have the fast ones/CS lenses available to users. Even Hasselblad worked that one out.

Just because the original design has space for a mirror doesn't mean they have to put one in there.

Gordon

• Like 2

Why does a longer flange difference mean it HAS to be a DSLR. It could be. But the next camera could just have a thinner body with an extended mount. Or Leica could reduce the flange distance and make a fully functional adaptor so the lenses work the same as they do on the SL (my preference). That way they could make new smaller lenses AND have the fast ones/CS lenses available to users. Even Hasselblad worked that one out.

Just because the original design has space for a mirror doesn't mean they have to put one in there.

Gordon

You are right. It can have short body. Same flange lens with an adaptor. If they do that. Then S is quite special.

...or perhaps two S-bodies: an upsized version of the SL (with the S-sensor, without an OVF, with reduced fps-rate compared to the SL), and a modified version of the current S007 (with OVF). Both with 60+ MP sensors.

• Like 4

S didn't really have a real competition before. Now they have. X1d is not really but FUJI is.

The same for SL as for today.

I hope Leica will not move at dinosaur speed on S.

Dinosaur died.

Edited by ZHNL