M8 Screen Supply

Lord Lucan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It appears that the outer glass layer of the lcd screen is gone on a recently acquired Leica M8, see photo below. I am not too concerned about this, but it would be good - and wise, likely - to have the LCD covered. The problem is that the LCD as it is now is somewhat smaller in dimension than the outer glass protector. So buying a standard glass protector (a la Giottos) will likely not fit, and it will only fix on the outer 2-3 mm thick plastic frame (see photo). This may lead to leakage of water and/or condensation (bringing the camera inhouse from low temperatures, say). A plastic film can be fit to the LCD, no problem, but a glass screen sounds more secure to me.

Any suggestions what to do?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I do not think Leica sell spare parts to the end consumer. I asked for a chrome M9-P top plate for my black M9 and that was not possible.

If you wait long enough someone will sell you a used glass from a broken M8/M9. Or you can make yourself one. Or you can send it to Leica.

• Like 1

Following my post above, and just to get things settled for my own sake:

I have two recently purchased M8 bodies, see pictures below. As far as I can tell, the right body (in chrome) miss a protective glass over the LCD, and this glass is supposed to sit on the 2-3 mm thick frame surrounding the LCD-screen (with hints of a gasket/seal along the outer part of the frame).

For comparison, the other body to the left shows a protruding glass cover. The latter may also be a protective glass put on by a previous owner.

Anyway, can some of you with a 'default' M8-body comment on how the back screen should look like.

Thanks...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Definitely the left one, Helged.  I've had mine from new, bought from a Premier Leica Dealership.

The right hand one looks like the glass* has fallen out and remnants of the sealing goop are visible.  *Standard glass for an M8, or toughened Sapphire glass for an M8.2 or M8u.

Pete.

• Like 1

Definitely the left one, Helged.  I've had mine from new, bought from a Premier Leica Dealership.

The right hand one looks like the glass* has fallen out and remnants of the sealing goop are visible.  *Standard glass for an M8, or toughened Sapphire glass for an M8.2 or M8u.

Pete.

Thanks, much appreciated (again). Also thanks for reminding me - and others, I assume - about the outstanding IR-possibilites with the M8. The latter, in my case, from the Q-system IR-thread...

• Like 1

Helged,

You might recall the 'coffee stain' phenomenon that appeared on some M8's, which Leica stated was due to very fine dust penetrating the seal on the LCD and sitting between the glass plate and the LCD screen itself and appearing like a brown stain.  I recall some members reporting here that they had removed the glass plate to remove the dust so it's possible that this is what's happened to your second M8 and the glass plate hasn't been put back on.

This would concern me if it was mine because the glass plate provides a degree of physical and moisture protection so your LCD will be quite vulnerable without it.  Regrettably, as we know, Leica cannot replace or repair a non-functioning LCD so if the LCD breaks you will be the owner of a particularly fine-looking doorstop. :(

Pete.

Helged,

You might recall the 'coffee stain' phenomenon that appeared on some M8's, which Leica stated was due to very fine dust penetrating the seal on the LCD and sitting between the glass plate and the LCD screen itself and appearing like a brown stain.  I recall some members reporting here that they had removed the glass plate to remove the dust so it's possible that this is what's happened to your second M8 and the glass plate hasn't been put back on.

This would concern me if it was mine because the glass plate provides a degree of physical and moisture protection so your LCD will be quite vulnerable without it.  Regrettably, as we know, Leica cannot replace or repair a non-functioning LCD so if the LCD breaks you will be the owner of a particularly fine-looking doorstop. :(

Yes, I recall the coffee-discussion on the forum. I am working to get acceptance to return the M8 with the protective glass missing.

Apropos doorstop - this is a nice one...

• Like 1

I have no experience with yours but my Fuji body (X-E2) cannot compete with my M8.2 as far as sharpness is concerned. I mean with M lenses due to the thick sensor stack of the Fuji. 

Edited by lct

Pete.

+1, the left one is as original  comparing with my M8 .

buy a fuji x-pro1 used for 300 euro, add an adapter for your lenses and you will be happy

Not if Helged wishes to shoot digital infra-red.  Besides that, they're entirely different cameras with completely different ergonomics.

Pete.

• Like 1

buy a fuji x-pro1 used for 300 euro, add an adapter for your lenses and you will be happy

I don't think so. FujiNoFilm is regular 1.5 crop, but Leica is 1.3. 

And the reason why xp1 cost so little is because it is nowhere near to Leica M8, which is still unsurpassed in the quality of the build even among of digital M. 

I have hold xp2 in my hands and I would take M8 again over it, if I have to choose again.

• Like 2

Correct, but I am optimistic regarding a solution...

Actually, the seller doesn't see any problems with the screen the body (the right M8 body in the photos above), and therefore refutes a return... No big problem in a larger perspective, but I value honesty.

Edited by helged
  • Like 1

Actually, the seller doesn't see any problems with the screen the body (the right M8 body in the photos above), and therefore refutes a return... No big problem in a larger perspective, but I value honesty.

If this was an ebay sale and/or you paid by paypal raise a dispute asap. Make sure you raise it through the website and follow the actions they ask you to take. You should get a refund as long as the fault wasn't mentioned in the description of the item.

If it wasn't bought via those channels then your options are more limited or difficult of course. I would be inclined to put it down to experience and find someone who can cut a piece of perspex or glass to fit the aperture and glue it in.

• Like 1