Leica T with Elmarit M28 mm manual lens

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys,

I have a question,

I recently purchased the Elmarit M manual 28mm lens for my M6.

The lens is awesome, but I was wondering....I'm looking to buy a Leica T body, does anyone have experience with the T body and a manual lens?

Is it usable or to much fuzz to focus etc? And do you really need to buy the expensive adapter from Leica for this or can you buy a second party adapter?

Thanks for your reply!

Leica M lenses work great on the T. It's easiest with the EVF to nail focus, but the LCD display is bright and detailed and can work depending on lighting.

The 23mm T lens is fantastic btw. It has fast AF and is very sharp and small. Maybe that would be a cheaper option than buying the Elmarit, M lens adapter, and the $600+ EVF? There seem to be a few used models available

The Elmartit-M 28 gives excellent results on the T. The equivalent FL (42mm) solves the 35 vs 50 dilemma.  ;)

There is no problem focusing this lens. And you can get used to the slight offset on the distance scale introduced by the adapter and quickly learn how to use zone focusing.

Here is an example shot @ISO 1600:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Jean-Pierre

Edited by JPP1
  • Like 9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There are some limitatiosn with third party adapters.

See this thread for example: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/270493-manual-focus-zeiss-zm-35mm-28/?hl=adapter&do=findComment&comment=3236526

Jean-Pierre

Salut, Jean-Pierre,

I don't know if the problems mentioned in this post (the link) about Novoflex are only with leica lenses or not; but as you may recall, I am using Novoflex with my manual Nikon lenses (also Nikon 28 mm), and I have no problem what so ever with the focus magnification. But for me, the phone App works only with T lense, and not with my manual lenses.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I have a question,

I recently purchased the Elmarit M manual 28mm lens for my M6.

The lens is awesome, but I was wondering....I'm looking to buy a Leica T body, does anyone have experience with the T body and a manual lens?

Is it usable or to much fuzz to focus etc? And do you really need to buy the expensive adapter from Leica for this or can you buy a second party adapter?

Thanks for your reply!

I have a 50mm Summicron-R and a 28mm Elmarit-R.  Also, I mount my R lenses using a Fotasy LM-L/T plus Fotodiox L/R-L/M adapter combination.  Without EVF, I have not been able to achieve accurate focus using the LCD in manual focusing mode for my R lenses.  For my 28mm Elmarit-R, I could successfully use zone focusing, but I could not use zone focusing with my 50mm Summicron-R.  So, at this time w/o having a EVF, I have to use my R lenses on my Fujifilm X-Pro1 which has a built-in EVF.  For my T, I am forced to use my T 18-56mm native AF lens.  My T 18-56mm is a good lens, but it is not as good as 28mm Elmarit-R or 50mm Summicron-R.  I still would like to use my R lens on my T, but I do not want to spend $$ on Visoflex.   I am aware that using Leica T-M adapter will enable the magnification feature of Leica T body for M lenses.  However, I do not know what T body will behave if I have a Leica T-M plus Fotodiox L/R-L/M adapter for my R lenses. 

Edited by blueskyoveraquatic

Blue Sky said,

"  I am aware that using Leica T-M adapter will enable the magnification feature of Leica T body for M lenses.  However, I do not know what T body will behave if I have a Leica T-M plus Fotodiox L/R-L/M adapter for my R lenses. "

I just received my first R lens .  I mounted it on a 'dumb' Novoflex R-M adapter then on a Leica M-T adapter to the camera.  I use an EVF which makes focusing quite easy - the magnification works fine with both the EVF and the rear screen. At first try, the R 50mm Summicron looks to be very sharp.

This portrait was at f 3.5 at ISO 400.

Rick

• Like 7

I left the T line-up and went to the Fuji system partly because of the EVF. The other reason was the lens size, the T is small, light, and nice, until you consider the 35/1.4. I know it's not an issue to some, but to me it was what pushed me to the X-Pro. I also had an X-T1. Neither has that Leica feel, but both are awesome cameras.

Gary

• Like 2

Salut, Jean-Pierre,

I don't know if the problems mentioned in this post (the link) about Novoflex are only with leica lenses or not; but as you may recall, I am using Novoflex with my manual Nikon lenses (also Nikon 28 mm), and I have no problem what so ever with the focus magnification. But for me, the phone App works only with T lense, and not with my manual lenses.

Bonjour Louis,

All I know is that different compatibility problems have been reported in the forum when using third party adapters. I don't have a Novoflex adapter so I can't really check what is a real problem and what is operator error. All I can say is I have no problems with my Leica adapter. :p 

@Gary:

I also find the size of the Summilux-TL is too much. Instead of it, I use a Summilux-M 35.

@Olavvandenhogen:

The T gives really excellent results with M lenses. You should at least try it in a store.

Jean-Pierre

• Like 2

Bonjour as well J-P.

I loved the T, really did, and am actually warming to getting another, but the cost of admission to my mind is excessive, and the rumour of a replacement on the horizon makes me think I should wait. Plus the X-Vario does most/all I need. It is my only digital really, being predominantly film now.

The cost of the Visoflex is real, and while it could be argued that it is convenient to be able to be removed, even my relic Fujifilm X-E1produced well before the T has an EVF built in.

And the lenses. I have harped on enough about this, it's really my opinion, others find the size and weight, plus cost to be acceptable, and that is fine. The 35 Summilux would be nice, I've just acquired one, previously with my T I used the 35 Summicron M, an exceptional lens on the T, except for manual focus etc. Conversely, the ancient Fuji with the XF35/1.4 was similarly sized, a mere shadow of the price, and had full A/F and A/E.  And the quality was superb.

Add on the cost (again not insignificant) of the M-T adapter and you can see the sticker shock most suffer when considering entry. The sensor was great though, I loved it. Touch screen I could take or leave, occasionally I found myself having to tap or swipe, or touch a couple of times "to make contact".

A new T, with integral EVF, and the lure of a prime or two like the T23/2 (so not excessively sized) would possibly have me thinking a bit harder. Sensor update would be nice, but the 16mp was plenty for me. The Fuji line with it's continuous updates, and it's seemingly endless arrival of small, light, affordable primes is something I suspect I miss the most in the T(L) line-up.

Gary

Bonjour as well J-P.

I loved the T, really did, and am actually warming to getting another, but the cost of admission to my mind is excessive, and the rumour of a replacement on the horizon makes me think I should wait. Plus the X-Vario does most/all I need. It is my only digital really, being predominantly film now.

The cost of the Visoflex is real, and while it could be argued that it is convenient to be able to be removed, even my relic Fujifilm X-E1produced well before the T has an EVF built in.

And the lenses. I have harped on enough about this, it's really my opinion, others find the size and weight, plus cost to be acceptable, and that is fine. The 35 Summilux would be nice, I've just acquired one, previously with my T I used the 35 Summicron M, an exceptional lens on the T, except for manual focus etc. Conversely, the ancient Fuji with the XF35/1.4 was similarly sized, a mere shadow of the price, and had full A/F and A/E.  And the quality was superb.

Add on the cost (again not insignificant) of the M-T adapter and you can see the sticker shock most suffer when considering entry. The sensor was great though, I loved it. Touch screen I could take or leave, occasionally I found myself having to tap or swipe, or touch a couple of times "to make contact".

A new T, with integral EVF, and the lure of a prime or two like the T23/2 (so not excessively sized) would possibly have me thinking a bit harder. Sensor update would be nice, but the 16mp was plenty for me. The Fuji line with it's continuous updates, and it's seemingly endless arrival of small, light, affordable primes is something I suspect I miss the most in the T(L) line-up.

Gary

Gary, when the new TL is announced, my T would be available (with Visoflex since the new TL would have in camera viewfinder!) :D

It is like new; no scratch, no dins, no sign of wear! :D

LOL, thank you for the offer Louis, the recent revelation of it's holiday in NJ would be enough to worry me.

I have my sights on one locally, no Visoflex, but with 18-55.

Biggest headache for me is the fact that it virtually replicates the X-Vario I already have an enjoy, apart from the fun factor of the ability to mount the M and R lenses I have.

Right royal case of GAS most likely.

Gary

LOL, thank you for the offer Louis, the recent revelation of it's holiday in NJ would be enough to worry me.

I have my sights on one locally, no Visoflex, but with 18-55.

Biggest headache for me is the fact that it virtually replicates the X-Vario I already have an enjoy, apart from the fun factor of the ability to mount the M and R lenses I have.

Right royal case of GAS most likely.

Gary

Gary, don't forget that after spending a holiday in a superb spa in NJ, it would be better than new. (you never know what kind of problems you may have with a new camera)!

Also, I can add a signed certificate that this camera has been used by me!... So imagine what a priceless piece of collection it would be!... I can even play dead to raise the price even higher! :D

• Like 1

Good evening!

Thank you all for your reaction, but I'm still in doubt about buying a Leica T with an adapter, I'm also looking a second option: a Fujifilm X-T1 with an adapter.

I hear good things about this camera.

I used to own X-Pro1/X100S/X-T1 and at a certain moment opted for the Leica T as my APS-C camera, a decision I still have mixed feelings about...

Fuji has a lot going for it but that being said, if your only purpose is to shoot M-glass I very honestly would stick with Leica.

Nobody will support Leica glass better than Leica IMO.

Edited by JorisV
  • Like 1

Blue Sky said,

"  I am aware that using Leica T-M adapter will enable the magnification feature of Leica T body for M lenses.  However, I do not know what T body will behave if I have a Leica T-M plus Fotodiox L/R-L/M adapter for my R lenses. "

I just received my first R lens .  I mounted it on a 'dumb' Novoflex R-M adapter then on a Leica M-T adapter to the camera.  I use an EVF which makes focusing quite easy - the magnification works fine with both the EVF and the rear screen. At first try, the R 50mm Summicron looks to be very sharp.

This portrait was at f 3.5 at ISO 400.

Rick

Rick,

Thank you for your info!  50mm Cron-R is a great lens, isn't it?  I love your portrait photo above!

Based on your info, I will purchase a Leica M-T adapter.  Then, I will use this combo for my R lenses.

Here is a photo from my newly acquired 135mm Elmar-M and Leica T (focused using rear screen w/o magnification):

• Like 1