RF alignment. Here we go again.

satureyes

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well it seems that the RF on my M10 isn't up to scratch. Just took the 90mm out for a spin today and noticed that there is a massive difference in sharpness. when using the RF patch and using the EVF.

Had a nightmare with my M240 being off and now it looks like I'm having the same issues. It's not my eyesight.

Looks like I'll be trying to adjust this again myself with a small wrench and the nut in the lens mount.

• Like 1

Interesting, same issue with my M10. Nocti was good with the 240, with the M10, same as you. I sent them in to New Jersey last week.

Ah crap.

If I send my lenses to Germany it's a very long wait.

Is this a case of adjusting the cam with a hex key?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the focus optimized at 2 meters?  This looks closer than 2 meters.

Eric

I think you're talking about something else (that's the distance at which the OVF is focused i.e. the distance the eyeball sees the OVF image).

There's no such thing as rangefinder optimal distance: it should be accurate at all distances.

• Like 3

Ah crap.

If I send my lenses to Germany it's a very long wait.

Is this a case of adjusting the cam with a hex key?

Why do you need to send your lenses?

Is the issue your lens or the RF?

The RF is a very simple fix...takes about 10 minutes. Its actually harder to remove the red dot than to adjust the RF.

Why do you need to send your lenses?

Is the issue your lens or the RF?

The RF is a very simple fix...takes about 10 minutes. Its actually harder to remove the red dot than to adjust the RF.

Does anyone here know how to adjust the cam roller with a hex key? I know what it does but I can't figure out if I'm back or front focussing.

On infinity I focus using the EVF- it's sharp. When I look through the RF the patches are off and I have to turn the lens away from infinity even more to get the patches to align.

When I shoot something mid range focused using the EVF then compare to the RF I have to turn the lens so the focus distance scale on the lens is 'nearer' as in just by a few mm but I do know it's off focus as compared to the EVF shot.

My shots that are in focus using the evf are not sharp when I compose and shoot with the RF (even accounting for user errror margins)

I can't figure out which way to adjust the roller with the 2mm hex key.

Does anyone here know how to adjust the cam roller with a hex key? I know what it does but I can't figure out if I'm back or front focussing.

On infinity I focus using the EVF- it's sharp. When I look through the RF the patches are off and I have to turn the lens away from infinity even more to get the patches to align.

When I shoot something mid range focused using the EVF then compare to the RF I have to turn the lens so the focus distance scale on the lens is 'nearer' as in just by a few mm but I do know it's off focus as compared to the EVF shot.

My shots that are in focus using the evf are not sharp when I compose and shoot with the RF (even accounting for user errror margins)

I can't figure out which way to adjust the roller with the 2mm hex key.

First thing is to determine what the actual issue is. When you are focusing are you looking thru the RF with your eye dead centered in the OF?

What happens if you look thru the RF slightly off axis? Do you notice a vertical mis-alignment?

Assuming your issue is the more common vertical alignment not horizontal- The allen key is 2mm and under the red dot, looking from the front of the camera clockwise moves the RF alignment up and counterclockwise moves it down. Keep in mind only very small adjustments are needed.

Ok.

Ive had Ms since the M9.

I had a lot of issues with the 240 and leica sorted it all out.

Basically wherever I focus when using LV or EVF the RF patches don't line up.

If I focus using the RF then when I check the EVF it's out.

The photos I showed earlier as a demo were the difference when I focus using the EVF and then the RF.

I know the leica apologists will convince me this is

'Normal' well. It's not for me. I like to shoot at any distance and not have to guess if my shots are in focus (or use the EVF) all the time.

Edited by satureyes

all of your shots?

read this:

http://nemeng.com/leica/034b.shtml

I have seen the article. I'm asking about the cam adjustment. I am looking dead centre down the RF viewfinder.

As I mentioned - I'm shooting something way away- effectively on infinity. I focus using the EVF- it's sharp. Great. Of course it is. It's the sensor feeding directly to the evf.

Keeping the camera in the same position I look through the RF and the patches are off. and I have to turn the lens away from infinity even more to get the patches to align. They are in line top and bottom but the focus patch is off to the side. I assume this is the horizontal adjustment.

My shots that are in focus using the evf are not in focussed when solely using the RF.

Used a tripod for your test shots?

Not the ones I posted. Camera was on a table but I've been here before with RF alignments not matching the EVF. Took a lot of stress and arguing with leica to sort it. They did sort it but it involved a trip to Germany for my camera and lenses.

Eh?

So I can't shoot anything that's closer than 2m unless I use the evf?

It's also out of focus at infinity.

The humor came from Eric's (enboe) comment, not your situation.

In your shoes, I would either send in for service or return to dealer for a replacement. But that's just me.

Jeff

• Like 1

Satureyes, are you saying that "ALL" lenses are off on the M10 with the RF patch or just the 90mm?.

I ask this because you've had the camera for a couple of weeks now and you've only noticed this with the 90mm today.

Or is it a case where you've been struggling with all lenses over the past weeks and the 90 experience today confirms your suspicion?.