M8 now supported by Apple (merged thread) with DMR chatter too ...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Conrad, you say nothing beats C1, answer me this have you process a DMR file in aperture, I suspect your answer is no, there for I don't understand how you can dismiss aperture out of hand when you have not been able to try it to date. Very easy to dismiss something when you've never tried it:)

Eoin - I should have added "straight out of the box". Your hacking into Aperture does not mean it supports DMR files. I was more than willing to process DMR files in Aperture and was set to buy it as soon as it came out and along the way but Apple gave me no choice by not supporting DMR DNGs. I can dismiss it out of hand when the provider chooses not to support my tools. By the way, I also chose Macs a long time ago... :)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Eoin - I should have added "straight out of the box". Your hacking into Aperture does not mean it supports DMR files.

Hi Conrad

I think it means that Aperture Does support it - Apple may not, but many of us have been using it for months with M8 files - it's a single extra step, and the 'hacking' is only a simple change in a configuration file. I think many were a little worried what would happen when full support came for the M8, but it's proved to be no issue.

Whereas I agree with Conrad that C1 is very good especially with Jamie's and Edmund's range of ICC profiles, the convenience of "One Stop Shopping" in Aperture is a huge advance. The only major downside for me is having to learn all the tweaks and shortcuts on yet another program. Some of the shortcuts on Aperture don't seem to work quite like the manual says they do. For example backwards apostrophe is supposed to switch on the loupe, which it does and tilde is supposed to decouple the loupe from the mouse. I have tried all combinations shift, control, alt and command but it either does nothing or switches the loupe off - irritating, as the loupe is a brilliant tool but you need to decouple to go backwards and forwards to your tool set and using the menu to do this is cumbersome.

Wilson

Ignore last paragraph, I have repaired permissions again and all works OK now.

Wilson

don't forget the Z key - I find that it's often more useful than the loupe (it zooms on the point where the mouse is).

Do persevere, it becomes a joy to use after a while.

I have transferred identical files to Aperture taken with the M8 on a recent trip to the Frio River in the Texas Hill Country using both the Adobe-based workaround and directly from the camera to Aperture. The images appear identical once the Aperture image processing parameters are set to the same values. The only difference between the two sets of images appears to be that the files downloaded directly are all 10.09 MB while the Adobe workaround files are smaller, generally in the range from 5.3 to 7.4 MB.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have transferred identical files to Aperture taken with the M8 on a recent trip to the Frio River in the Texas Hill Country using both the Adobe-based workaround and directly from the camera to Aperture. The images appear identical once the Aperture image processing parameters are set to the same values. The only difference between the two sets of images appears to be that the files downloaded directly are all 10.09 MB while the Adobe workaround files are smaller, generally in the range from 5.3 to 7.4 MB.

That's really not surprising since you've updated the Core Image Framework with the 10.4.10 update and both the Adobe version and M8 version of the files will now be processed using the same values from the Apple supplied profile, The only thing you've done by passing the DNG through Adobe DNG is lossless compress the DNG. Hence the 5 - 7 Mb file size.

If you were trying to compare the hacked profile with the official profile that's slightly more complicated and would involve recreating the hacked profile calling it something other like Leica Camera AG-M8 Digital Camera Hacked. Then you would need to take a copy of an M8 dng and run Exiftool to overwrite the Model and UniqueCameraModel EXIF tags to read M8 Digital Camera Hacked. Then import that file and the original M8 file into aperture and you can then see them side by side. There is also now no need to pass the file through Adobe DNG converter since there is now core support for DNG. Either that or edit the raw.plist switching profiles and restart aperture but you'll have no side by side comparison.

Sorry! and welcome to the forum BTW;)

Does Aperture allow for the use of different profiles, like the ones from Jamie R?

I found the changing of profiles in C1 a bit awkward, and was wondering if Apreture allows for changes, or do you only get the one profile that is built in ( if that's true?). Can it be changed?

Are people happy wiht the Aperture profile? One of the examples up above seemed awfully blue...

Thanks,

Geoff G.

Geoff, the samples you are referring to above are Leica DMR files, we're trying to get these working within aperture. The DMR is still an un-supported camera.

Sorry the title of the tread reads M8 but there is a bit of chatter about the DMR also.

With regard to the profiles you ask about, the short answer is there is only one profile for the camera in question, but aperture allows you to create and save presets that can be applied to images on import into aperture.;)

Well, it seems I have a problem with the pictures imported in Aperture with the hack (before OSX 10.4.10) and WITHOUT the IR filter: with 10.4.10 they have a horrible magenta cast I can't get rid of. Do I miss something, is it the same for you? Needless to say, I haven't anymore the original files... Shame on me.

Thank you for your replies! (And for the hack of course, that made me enjoy the M8 with Aperture).

Right, obviously I've been working with some form of DMR file, perhaps an early firmware file, bugger that anyway.

The DMR also obviously reads the camera used, R8 or R9 and changes the tag accordingly in the exif.

For your R8 try this

<key>Leica Camera AG-R8 - Digital Back DMR</key>

<dict>

Looking better, Eoin.

Apologies for hi-jacking this thread, but this is now quite exciting for DMR users who wish to use copies of Aperture languishing on their Macs...

:)

The treath was moved to the M8 forum which I never vistt.

I understand the the M8 exitment.

But Apple still does not support V-Lux 1 RAW.

So this is NO great news for me.

:-(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

I updated Aperture and now my photos are gone from the library. Can someone tell me where my photos went and how to get them back?

Thanks,

Richard Clompus

Oh my, can someone please help out Richard?

Encountering other various issues, it's been mentioned here to "repair permissions," which I take to mean try running Disk Utility, which is found in Applications > Utilities. From there select your the appropriate hard disk and then select repair disk permissions.

Timothy

Hello, I have been now playing with Aperture & M8 files and it is what I want in terms of workflow. Grate.

My question (and I hope yours also) is if I can also have DMR in it (aperture) with the same quality in raw processing that I get with C1??

Thank you for the effort to finding this out.

Poker night with the lads tonight. Sorry;) . Loosing anyway and between hands at the moment.

Check if you aperture library is still there in your pictures, right click it and select get info. if it's a largish size double click it. perhaps there may be 2 libraries, pick the largest. If not I'll be around tomorrow.:cool:

I updated Aperture and now my photos are gone from the library. Can someone tell me where my photos went and how to get them back?

Thanks,

Richard Clompus

Richard,

Maybe one of the easiest ways to track down your missing photos is if you know approximately what one of the photos would be called. For example if you are using an M8, you will know the current image number e.g. L1002544. Go back a few numbers and these should be in your library, say L1002000. Search for this using Spotlight and you should locate your library. You then need to ascertain if your library is a referenced or managed library in Aperture and that depended on how you originally set up Aperture. If it was referenced, you may (and I don't know how the update works) need to re-import the images from their original location because all that Aperture does for referenced images is remember their original location and generate a JPEG thumbnail, it does not store the whole image. It then just stores any changes you make and not the whole altered image. This is why it is such an efficient and non-storage hungry programme.

Hope this helps.

Wilson

Andy,

Try the following and let me know what you think, you'll need to delete the current R8 profile.

<key>Leica Camera AG-R8 - Digital Back DMR</key>

<dict>

<key>black</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>black1</key>

<integer>5</integer>

<key>black2</key>

<integer>5</integer>

<key>esein</key>

<real>2.0299999999999998</real>

<key>esein_0</key>

<real>0.0</real>

<key>eseth</key>

<real>0.87</real>

<key>eseth_0</key>

<real>0.0</real>

<key>esint</key>

<real>0.75</real>

<key>esint_0</key>

<real>0.0</real>

<key>gresc</key>

<real>2.3999999999999999</real>

<key>gresc_0</key>

<real>0.0</real>

<key>m1</key>

<array>

<real>1.743042</real>

<real>-0.92199710000000001</real>

<real>-0.053955080000000002</real>

<real>-0.45495609999999997</real>

<real>1.333008</real>

<real>0.12902830000000001</real>

<real>-0.093017580000000002</real>

<real>0.22595209999999999</real>

<real>0.78198239999999997</real>

</array>

<key>m2</key>

<array>

<real>1.743042</real>

<real>-0.92199710000000001</real>

<real>-0.053955080000000002</real>

<real>-0.45495609999999997</real>

<real>1.333008</real>

<real>0.12902830000000001</real>

<real>-0.093017580000000002</real>

<real>0.22595209999999999</real>

<real>0.78198239999999997</real>

</array>

<key>max</key>

<integer>4500</integer>

<key>otrc</key>

<array>

<real>0.20999999999999999</real>

<real>0.152</real>

<real>2.1739999999999999</real>

<real>0.34000000000000002</real>

<real>1.825</real>

<real>0.748</real>

<real>0.88900000000000001</real>

<real>0.23100000000000001</real>

</array>

<key>premul0</key>

<real>1.4599610000000001</real>

<key>premul1</key>

<real>1</real>

<key>premul2</key>

<real>1.1849369999999999</real>

<key>premul3</key>

<real>1</real>

<key>scal1</key>

<real>0.38</real>

<key>scal2</key>

<real>0.41999999999999998</real>

<key>spknd</key>

<integer>3</integer>

<key>spt1</key>

<real>49.100000000000001</real>

<key>spt2</key>

<real>10</real>

<key>white</key>

<integer>4500</integer>

</dict>

You have been working very, very hard on this!

How else can I help?

What sort of image do you want to use as a test image for further tweaks?

This one had only very minor tweaks to the levels.

What settings do you have your copy set to as defaults/presets?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!