How many cameras are you planning to keep?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have 5 Leica's, an M2, M4 and 3x M7. The M2 needs desperate a CLA, i bought it because for me it's the ultimate M from the past. I bought the M4 because it's produced in my year of birth an il like that, it's repainted and had a CLA and functions as a backup travel camera. 3x M7 is simply overdone, no excuse for that. Reason for 3x M7? I started with a silver one, after a while wanted a black one so i could choose if i wanted. And finally bought a M7 special edition (Dutch Flag, test camera the Netherlands) because only 10 produced. Sometimes i feel some guilt about spending so much money while i don't need so many camera's.

I'll have 21, 35, 50 and 90 lenses, one of each, and actually use the 35 at least 95% of the time.

I bought my seventh M last year. A black chrome M-A. I alternate between M-A and M7.

• Like 1

Film

- Hasselblad SWC

- M-A

Digital

- Monochrom (v1)

- SL

- TL2

M lenses 21-28(2)-50(3)-75-135

SL lenses 24-90 zoom, 50 Summilux, 90-280 zoom

TL lenses 11-23 zoom, 35 Summilux

If the house was burning, I don’t know what I’d grab. I have no intention of selling any of it.

For me having recently acquired a lightly used MP, I am now completely satisfied with my setup. 

• silver M4
  • silver M5 (family heirloom, I don't really shoot it anymore)
  • black paint MP

These three I am planning to keep forever I think. I have a few other cameras (Nikon F100, Contax T2's, Olympus Mju-II's) that I could see myself selling at some point. The only film Leica I could see myself add at this point would be a black paint M3/M2/M4 if ever find a cheap one at a pawn shop, flea market or something similar. 

Although I could see myself getting a digital M at some point, I think that is something where you have to keep updating every 5-7 years or so and you wouldn't necessarily keep the outdated model. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have 2 film M's (black M-A and silver MP) so I can shoot at different ISO's (Ilford delta 400 & panf 50) on 35 lux and 75 summarit. My M10 with 50 summicron pairs nicely with the Q and I have a Monochrom 246 recently re-acquired. The MM 246 get's my fav lens - the 50 lux pre-ASPH. I use them all.

I also have a 90 cron that gets little use but when I need it I'm glad it's there.

I own 3 Leica cameras: IIIc, M3 and M6. I plan to keep them all for now, unless I buy a brand new MP and sell the M6.

My other film cameras, both 35mm and MF, are old and I doubt I could get good money from selling them, also they're useful for experiments.

Edited by AntonioF

M = M2, M4, M4P, M6, CL

Screw = 1c, 2, 2 and a half, 3, 3a, Standard, 2f, 3f, 3g,

Canon 3, P

Nikon S2

Contax 2a

And various lenses.

I am also looking after a friend’s collection and can use them as well.

I have a spreadsheet to monitor when each body was last used and which one is due to be used next, so that they all get a chance to be used. Currently I just loaded FP4 in the Nikon S2. Next will be the Leica 3, but I want to use the M4P so that I can use both my 35mm Summicron and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4

I have just bought a 21mm Voigtlander in Nikon mount and hope it arrives this week as the S2 is having its turn to be used.

I bought about 2 Minolta, 4 Nikon, 14 Leica cameras in my life. Mostly I sold the one sellable because I needed the money to financeI a new one. In hindsight. I did not have to buy some of  the new ones and sell some of the old ones. 

My MP I sold twice and the last one bought was of the same age than my first one, so what was the point I was loosing money, gaining experience...

I did not regret selling the digital cameras: M8,M9 Nikon D700, but I did regret selling the lenses. 

Now I have decided not to sell lenses anymore, not to sell analoge ( film ) cameras , but will sell the Nikon D3 and even the leica M240 to finance a D5 and an M10P or an M 11. But because there is a chance that those digital cameras are economical written of at that time, I prefer to keep them all. 

I have got two Leica bodies (M262 & M4-P) and 3 lenses 28mm f/1.4 Summillux , 50mm f/2.4 Summarit and 90mm f/2 Summicron III.

I am planning to add either of 50mm Summilux or 50mm APO Summicron to replace my Summarit, as I've realized that I utilize the 50mm around 80% of the time. I am taking my time before I decide, frankly saying they are really top of the line. And I am not confident which one I can handle better than the other one.

I have no intention to invest on 35mm focal length, yet....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I own three Leica camera bodies: 2 M4-Ps and 1 M 8.2. If and when the M 8.2 becomes unusable, I'll keep the M4s. In the unlikely event that I need the third body, I'd add a non-TTL M6. In the unlikely event that either of the M4's becomes unusable, I'll replace the missing camera with either an M6 or an M4, depending upon how often I think I'll need the 28.

I have 4 cameras, MP, M-D, M246 and SL

Planning to keep the MP until it falls apart (and beyond) and the M-D and M246 for as long as it makes sense to do so. May trade them for the M10 or subsequent equivalent versions, but no hurry to do so, they are both great, durable and share batteries, charger etc

The SL will be traded for the SL2 as soon it show up - it is an amazing system and very complementary to the M

in the past I have had a mix of Fuji, Ricoh, Canon, Mamiya, Nikon and of course Leica. At some point I had 10 bodies, some of which did not see the light of day for ages and where just gathering dust and moisture

The current set up  makes sense for me at the moment; I use of all of them regularly

I have two film M's which are both close to mint, an M2 and an M5.  I also have a very nice R6.2 and just purchased a MP240.  In addition, there is a MF system in the cabinet and a classic Nikon F with a couple lenses.  I am thinking about trimming down the system keeping just one of the film M's while selling a M body, the R6.2 and perhaps the MF system.

Can't decide which film body to keep.  I keep coming back to the M2 after selling them over 40 plus years but the M5 has become another favorite since purchasing it about 18 months ago.  Too many decisions, don't need the money so perhaps I will just keep them.

• 3 weeks later...

Saved up for 2 years and bought an M4-P just before christmas last year and now have two lenses, but the plan is to keep it until it gets broken or until i die or very possibly i move to an m3 if one comes up for a good enough price 

Happy enough with the lenses (35/3.5 + 50/2) at the moment but definitely want to get a faster 35 after probably selling both of them

M3

M6 (non TTL)

M7

Will keep all of them, but this is about it. Regarding price and sensor performance, I don't intend to upgrade any time soon to a digital Leica M either. Leica will remain with film for me. 

Edited by Martin B
  • Like 1

I plan to keep only one.

Problems are:

- I don't know which one

- for a while I don't count them anymore

- It would take me years to decide which one to keep

- some more years (or decades) to sell/give away the others

Haha. That's what I tell myself too.

I used to hoard a bunch of bodies, but now I'm down to an M2, M3 and an M-D 262.

Between the M2 and M3, I don't know which is better. Each are perfect in its own way.