M10 with Phase 1, C1 RAW processor {merged}

dasjak

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I got out my XRite ColorChecker Passport and was trying to make a dual illuminant profile for M10/C1.  I should have known that this makes a *.dcp profile suitable for Light Room but not C1.  I ended up discovering something else that has probably already been mentioned in this thread but which bears repeating.  At least with overcast daylight at noon CDT, I get colors pretty accurately comparing to the Passport using the C1 Pro 10 built in profile "DNG Neutral" and the Auto Curve (in Basic Characteristics) which were what C1 chose by default.  This was after using the white balance eyedropper on the neutral passport square (second from the left on the bottom row).  However, with similar procedure, I has not able to get as good a color match with tungsten light shots of the Passport.  I don't know if there is an easy fix for that and would appreciate any suggestions.

Also, as has already been mentioned and bears repeating, there is a utility in the Apple App Store, DNG Cleaner ($9.99 USD) written by a form member which can transform DNG files which will then show thumbnails in the C1 import window.  Here is my workflow:

- Copy all images on the card to an empty folder.

- Use the DNG Cleaner GUI to clean all the files in the folder, overwriting the originals.

(Get a cup of coffee and see note below.)

- Open C1 import window and have the "Source Folder" set to the folder with the clean DNGs.

- Chose various images to import into a selected catalogue or session folder.

(Repeat the import process for other images to other catalogues/folders as desired.)

- Delete all the clean DNGs with the OS X finder (or command line) so that folder is empty and can be later reused for another set of dirty DNGs.

Notes:

- C1 import window seems to have a choice to delete the files from the source folder, but this is grayed out.

- I feel it is safe to overwrite the dirty DNGs and delete the clean ones.  They are "extra" by-products of this procedure and would not exist if C1 were able to function normally to load the M10 files directly into the import window.  As usual, one still has the files on the SD card.  One can also can use the backup feature of the import window to save the _cleaned_ files, and/or copy the originals (from the card or from the folder before cleaning) to a safe place.

- One advantage of this process is that one can arrange to have the C1 import window open with the cleaning folder as default eliminating the extra steps of creating a new folder and of setting the Import to use it as source.

- It would be nice if there were a command line interface for DNG Cleaner.  Then when processing a large number of files, one wouldn't have to interrupt one's cup of coffee between the process of copying from SD card and the cleaning of the files.

Hopefully, by and by Phase One will fix the import problem and supply custom M10 profile(s).  Their response to my support ticket request gave good reason to believe they will do this in a future update.

There was a paid utility which converts DCP profiles into ICC for C1. Don't bother buying it. It is rubbish and the ICC profiles it creates from say a dual illuminant DCP created with Color Checker Passport are completely unusable as an ICC profile in C1. I asked for my money back but got no reply - indicative of the class of act these software purveyors are. Luckily for other potential buyers of this trash, they seem to have disappeared completely now, sadly with my money. 

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 1

For those who have trouble viewing M10 thumbnails on the SD card using C1, try using IrfanView to examine and copy selected files for pasting into a file of your choice on the computer HD. From then on, C1 will see and process as normal.

A bit of a pest to use two software packages, but it keeps C1 useable until Phase 1 fix the Leica M10 issue.

• 3 weeks later...

The latest Capture One Pro release (10.1.0) is out.  It's very disappointing that the M10 is not listed among the supported Leica Cameras.  However, the import dialogue now displays the thumbnails of the images on the sd card from the camera.  That overcomes what was a big problem in C1/M10 workflow.  Perhaps some users more experienced with color profiles may find other undocumented improvements.

• Like 2

I don't know what DNG neutral profile is but that is what C1 chooses by default for M10 files.  It also chooses "Auto Curve" in "Basic Characteristics.  With those settings and an image shot at noon in daylight of the XRite Passport card white balanced with C1 color picker, the match between the image in c1 on my monitor and the card and the C1 RBC readings were very satisfactory (for me).  Images shot in other lights were more problematic.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Give them time, they will eventually make a profile. On the other hand, just make your own.

They have always have been very slow in supporting Leica, but eventually they do. But it's not that hard to make you own and there are tutorials how to do it.

I don't bother, I just adjust to taste and copy my adjustments to the group of photos I'm working with.

I don't know what DNG neutral profile is but that is what C1 chooses by default for M10 files. It also chooses "Auto Curve" in "Basic Characteristics. With those settings and an image shot at noon in daylight of the XRite Passport card white balanced with C1 color picker, the match between the image in c1 on my monitor and the card and the C1 RBC readings were very satisfactory (for me). Images shot in other lights were more problematic.

I'm very satisfied with the DNG neutral profile too, I hope they're not going to make things worse with an M10 profile because people are hammering on it. Edited by otto.f

The latest Capture One Pro release (10.1.0) is out.  It's very disappointing that the M10 is not listed among the supported Leica Cameras.  However, the import dialogue now displays the thumbnails of the images on the sd card from the camera.  That overcomes what was a big problem in C1/M10 workflow.  Perhaps some users more experienced with color profiles may find other undocumented improvements.

Has the slowness and memory problems experienced by a lot of Pro 10.0 users been fixed?  Maybe this is primarily an issue for iMac owners.

I don't have much problem with CO1, have about 13000 NEF files on a NAS and the starting time is about 30sec from scratch.

The only reason why I need the support for M10 is, so the noise reduction will work better as P1 maps the noise for each camera individually.

I have written an email to Leica Support and got a reply from Nicolas Kaufmann, saying that he will get in touch with Product Management team to provide enough resources to Phase One. Those who wants to write an email, the email address is software-support@leica-camera.com

Cheers,

Fatih

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any idea when C1P will support the M10?

I have contacted them directly and received a fairly useless cut and paste response. Expected better from Phase One...

Dear customer,

As a general principle, we do not comment on future product development.

Specifically, for Capture One development and camera support, our ambition is to support all top selling high end camera models. We evaluate each camera request we receive as a unique case and Capture One now supports more than 400 different cameras from Canon, Sony, Nikon, Fuji, Olympus, Pentax and naturally Phase One just to mention a few. All cameras are individually optimized by a special/unique Phase One technology process.

Best regards,

Phase One Support Team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, what sort of additional support do you expect?

With C1 10.0 previews of M10 files were not shown. Version 10.1 solved this.

You can tune the results from the software to your individual demands. Any "M 10-profile" would only give compromising results.

• Like 1

The official support for M10 will give us a better noise control hence cleaner images.

I have emailed last month to Leica specifically to provide a test camera to PO team to map the M10 sensor and the reply was very promising saying that they will get in touch with PO team. Maybe I should send a follow up email.

Cheers,

Fatih

• Like 1

A support on CO means each camera tested and analysed separately and necessary algorithms tweaked for that specific sensor, i.e. Noise color etc

So let's say a slider number 50 is not the same for Nikon D750 and Leica M10. The number 50 is just how aggressive the noise eliminating is and the process behind it is different for each camera model

To look at it from another perspective: If the DNG-Generic setting is so wonderful, why is there a freaking number of about 400 cameras supported? Come on capture one , give your long-time supporters the profile for the M10.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Steve Ash
  • Like 1