NO CARD error with 007

dritz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sandisk 32gb and Lexar 16gb CF cards. Reformat on computer and then in camera. Sometimes it recognizes the card but mostly not. I haven't found any pattern to it. Also fails when waking us from standby. Terribly annoying.

Any advice?

Do check what your computer is doing for the format. That is which file system is applied xfat or fat32 for example. I recently encountered this with cards in my S2.

If you have a PC? My Windows10 had a default to the later format and a complete reformat using fat 32 resolved the problem. You can get more complications if cards are used in more than one camera too and you may have more than one folder in there with the camera looking at the wrong place. Don't quick format in your PC too.

I did reformat Fat32 on my Mac.  It saw the card for formatting and then after powering down and up ... "NO CARD".  Just the infinite glowing red LED on the lower-right of the camera back... the little beast futilely trying to recognize the card.

I just tested the CF card on the now-ancient Cannon 5D. Worked like a champ. 

I borrowed an slow SD card from a friend.  "NO CARD".  Constant glowing red LED.

Even with no card in the camera the red LED stays on. 

I have firmware 4.0.0. That appears to be the latest.

Revised advice?

Thanks.

Edited by dritz

OK so now you have the camera with the red light constantly on with or without card? That is worse than where you originally said it works with some cards. 
And there is no SDHC card also in the camera???? The Typ 007 normally writes to that first unless you have the option set to write everything to both
Can you not access the menus with no card fitted? If yes can you perform a reset.
If you just tested the newly formatted CF card in another camera you will also need to format it again in the computer before formatting it and using it in the S.
Can you try a new SDHC card in the camera only ?
If none of that works I can only suggest that you send an email to support in Wetzlar. They have people dedicated to S support. You can get the link from their website.

OK so now you have the camera with the red light constantly on with or without card? That is worse than where you originally said it works with some cards. 

And there is no SDHC card also in the camera???? The Typ 007 normally writes to that first unless you have the option set to write everything to both

Can you not access the menus with no card fitted? If yes can you perform a reset.

If you just tested the newly formatted CF card in another camera you will also need to format it again in the computer before formatting it and using it in the S.

Can you try a new SDHC card in the camera only ?

If none of that works I can only suggest that you send an email to support in Wetzlar. They have people dedicated to S support. You can get the link from their website.

This morning the camera recognized the CF card. I immediately did a camera reset and restarted the camera. "NO CARD". You are correct that the menus are not accessible when the red LED is on.  The camera is a paperweight... and I'm traveling with it and two lenses so it is nothing but weight.

I shared all this with Leica S-Service in Germany. They promptly replied that the camera has an electronics problem and I should send the camera to Leica USA for subsequent shipment to Germany for repair.

Dean

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I hope that it is all resolved as quickly as possible for you. I had only recently seen a very similar situation with my S2. No fault was reported to me found. They did perform a clean, calibrate and adjust, reload firmware etc all for me at no charge. It works perfectly now and the problem for me was card formats and reusing and reformatting in my computer etc.

Edited by hoppyman

I dropped the body off at Leica Store (Bellevue WA). They will ship straight to Germany... which should shorten the turnaround. On previous repairs for S they first shipped to NJ which then shipped to Germany.  

Hoping for a fast turnaround. My suitcase of glass is just a big brick until the camera comes back.  I have been thinking of buying an SL as a backup but hesitate spending more money when I already ponied up for a reliable professional medium format system.

I dropped the body off at Leica Store (Bellevue WA). They will ship straight to Germany... which should shorten the turnaround. On previous repairs for S they first shipped to NJ which then shipped to Germany.  

Hoping for a fast turnaround. My suitcase of glass is just a big brick until the camera comes back.  I have been thinking of buying an SL as a backup but hesitate spending more money when I already ponied up for a reliable professional medium format system.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck... give Leica a chance and you will eventually be very pleased. These are complicated devices and Wetzlar is usually successful in solving the issue. 

Albert  :)  :)  :)

Good news in that I dropped it off at the Leica Store on Saturday, and today (Monday) I see it was shipped off to Leica Germany.  Much faster then sending it through NJ.  Does make me think about getting the extended warrantee while I still have time.

• 1 month later...

Good news in that I dropped it off at the Leica Store on Saturday, and today (Monday) I see it was shipped off to Leica Germany.  Much faster then sending it through NJ.  Does make me think about getting the extended warrantee while I still have time.

It arrived back on June 30th. Therefore, a warranty repair took 7 weeks door to door.  The invoice noted that out of warranty the repair would have cost 5000 Euro.  I had other cameras to use, so the delay wasn't troublesome. If it were my only camera I would be upset that it took almost 2 months to repair... cost me 2 months of use, and 2 months of warranty. I explicitly asked if my warranty would be extended by the time the camera is out of service. The answer: no.  So, I've lost use time and warranty time by the failure.

A 5000 Euro repair cost is astronomical. The replaced a circuit board, replaced the rubber covering (don't know why that was necessary), and cleaned/adjusted the camera to factory specs. That seems like gouging. Seems like a single occurrence of a repair is more than the cost of the Leica 2 year extended warranty with 24-hour replacement camera.  The warranty is $3500 in the US.

Is that repair price normal?  I remember needed a circuit board replaced in my R8. It was $550... about half the camera's value at that time. Maybe that's their pricing model? Repairs are 50% of the camera's value on the used market.

Dean

• 4 weeks later...

5000 Euro seems an extraordinary figure, but then your cost was actually 0! It's not gouging if they didn't charge you!
I have no idea what was actually done to your camera of course.

It's a hypothetical but should your camera develop a warranty relevant fault in the seven weeks after your original warranty expires, then no doubt you would be having a conversation with them
While I had a very responsive conversation (also through my national distributor) for my repair,  I always wish for more detail and explanation with a servicing. As I only have maybe a hundred words in German, I am usually unsure how clear the understanding is at both ends.
In my experience there are positives and negatives in the processes but  the service people are genuine, there is good will and they want to do the best for you. Everything costs a fortune in labour and parts especially in MF equipment I think.

My Typ 007 sent just out of warranty for what I thought was just repair of CF card latch proved to need a new back with the buttons and had reported shock and liquid damage. Neither of which I can account for.
On the positive side my S2 that I sent for apparently similar card not recognised problem proved to have no fault (my error with the cards used) and was checked cleaned and adjusted at no charge at all.
I was also provided a loan camera by the national distributor for the duration although I cannot justify paying the premium for the platinum cover. So far my single repair was much cheaper than that package here.

I can comment that the rubber covering must be replaced because it has to be removed for disassembly.
Cleaned and adjusted to factory specs is a usual part of any repair (mine came back from a billed repair perfectly adjusted  and as new).

Stefan Daniel has reiterated that the entire camera is subject to warranty following that repair. In other words they don't just repair the reported fault.

• 1 year later...

This thread hasn't had any activity in almost 6 months. Does that mean nobody else has suffered this problem?

I just started the 007. No Card on LCD. Red card light stays on. Menus are inaccessible.This occurs with or without an SD card in the slot. If a card is in the slot, it eventually reports an error that no firmware is available on the card even though I didn't initiate a firmware upgrade.

Does anyone have any further information? Which circuit board likely needs replacing?

27 minutes ago, Justalex said:

This thread hasn't had any activity in almost 6 months. Does that mean nobody else has suffered this problem?

I just started the 007. No Card on LCD. Red card light stays on. Menus are inaccessible.This occurs with or without an SD card in the slot. If a card is in the slot, it eventually reports an error that no firmware is available on the card even though I didn't initiate a firmware upgrade.

Does anyone have any further information? Which circuit board likely needs replacing?

Try a different card, reputable manufacturer, SanDisk or similar.

If the fault is still present with a new card, that sounds like an incomplete firmware update in the camera. You might see which firmware version is reported in Camera info and get a surprise?

You might download the latest firmware and use another card to run that installation following the instructions exactly. Do the update with no lens fitted though.

Edited by hoppyman

1 hour ago, Justalex said:

No luck. I've tried 4 Sandisk cards. 2 x 8gb, 2 x 64gb Extreme and Extreme Pro cards. Have also charged all 3 batteries 

So the camera is unusable? Have you tried using a CF card instead?

I don't think this helps at all, but a loaner S 007 Leica gave me had trouble detecting the SD card and often started with the red light "No Card" error. Usually after a few minutes (but sometimes not even after 10 minutes), it'd recognize the card and start working. Generally, once it recognized the card, it'd work just fine if it didn't go to sleep. But if it went to sleep there was a chance I'd get the "no card" message again. I tried different cards, removing and reinserting, turning off and on, etc., but I think the problem was really just random--part of the thrill and fun of S ownership, as you well know. Each of the four S 007's I've used had unpredictable electronic issues and software bugs. 

By the way, I was just going through your thread again on GetDpi earlier today and am pleasantly surprised to know that you've stuck with the S.

Edited by alan.y

Keep hearing story like these make me feel sad. Leica, please listen! Please stand up to back up customer who trusted you. You must have known all these storys clearly. Your service department must be overwhelmed with all kinds of problem with the system. 

Don’t abuse customers’ loyalty. S system’s department should take full responsibility for all kinds of system failure so far. It make me feel angry every time read story like this and every glitches I experienced over the years with S system and now continue with S007. I have not small share of problems if I want spend time to write down.

It is one of worst consumer nightmare I have experienced.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, hoppyman said:

If the fault is still present with a new card, that sounds like an incomplete firmware update in the camera. You might see which firmware version is reported in Camera info and get a surprise?

You might download the latest firmware and use another card to run that installation following the instructions exactly. Do the update with no lens fitted though.

As I mentioned I hadn't tried to do an update for some time so I don't know why it was saying incomplete update. But I downloaded new firmware and left the card in the camera for some time. After a while the it began to update. The progress bar almost made it to the end before it started again. There was a full battery and I left it until the battery was completely flat. No luck.