AF Drive Problems Leica S Lenses: Official Statement by Leica

LUF Admin

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

It will be 3 weeks door to door for my 35mm to get a new motor, sent direct to Wetzlar with Leica supplied UPS label.

john - north of the Highlands

John

I sent my Noctilux to Berlin to get it serviced after the bayonet pulled out of the lens body..........2 week turn around from Malaysia to Germany and back.................well done Leica.

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

I needed to return my Summarit S 70CS lens as it developed the AF fault after 3 years and 20 000 exposures.
I notified Leica Australia late on a Friday afternoon. They had a demo that they were able to loan me. Next business day I received the loan lens and my faulty one was collected.
Today 5 weeks to the day mine is back and delivered to my door with pickup for the prepared return package. That is interstate in Australia both ways plus the return trip to Wetzlar.
Leica Camera Australia's support was examplary for this and thanks to the availability of the demo loaner, I think this was the best possible outcome for me. Zero costs to me.
My second S lens I use less. It is the same age. If the failure does not happen by 4 and a half years, I think that I shall send it for the preemptive service

My second S lens I use less. It is the same age. If the failure does not happen by 4 and a half years, I think that I shall send it for the preemptive service

And that's when you'll pay. You're fortunate that the first lens broke and gave you a positive service experience. Try to remember it if you seek preemptive service.

Jeff

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And that's when you'll pay. You're fortunate that the first lens broke and gave you a positive service experience. Try to remember it if you seek preemptive service.

Jeff

Jeff

Leica Germany really do have a fantastic CS. It’s just a case of opening up to them with your requirements and they take care of it. I have had so many problems with all my leica gear and Leica have stepped in and done what a good professional company would do........... fantastic fantastic....... got me for life.

Neil

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Hi Jeff,

did you have to pay for the replacement and how many of your lenses failed? I have been lucky so far but I am interested to know in case one of my lenses fails.

Regards, Tom

Tom

Jeff doesn't have any S lenses .....but apparently knows all about them (and everything else) :) :) :) 

Neil

Hi Jeff,

did you have to pay for the replacement and how many of your lenses failed? I have been lucky so far but I am interested to know in case one of my lenses fails.

Regards, Tom

I returned my demo S006 and S zoom after testing last year, ultimately deciding not to invest in the system, in large part due to the lack of hadhold-ability in less than ideal light (the 007 and a prime would have been better), but also because of the reported failures and long turnaround from the US. A well known dealer even cautioned me at that time. Since then, I'm glad there's finally a fix, but am reluctant to trust Leica given their S lens repair policy (customer payment for preemptive fix). I owned the R system... and saw where that lead. But the M system has treated me well for over 30 years.

Jeff

Thanks for the feedback. It is sad how much trust has been lost in regards of those AF-failures and the communication.

I am a user and fan of the S system, but I am living in Germany and therefore have a lot of good experience with service.

I dont doubt the reported AF failures but on the other side I believe the system is much more reliable than some people believe.

I still believe Leica would be clever to improve communication regarding such issues.

• Like 1

Jeff

Jeff of course I know that if I chose to send a lens for a preemptive service when it has not shown a fault, I have to pay for that under the current policy. That would be my choice and my judgement. Actually I pay for comprehensive insurance coverage of all of my S equipment and the only cost to me if it failed after 5 years would be the excess for anything that needs repair.

I get it that you are unhappy with that policy. Generally my experiences have been very positive but I always share if not as well. That's honest and fair feedback shared with forum members

Jeff of course I know that if I chose to send a lens for a preemptive service when it has not shown a fault, I have to pay for that under the current policy. That would be my choice and my judgement. Actually I pay for comprehensive insurance coverage of all of my S equipment and the only cost to me if it failed after 5 years would be the excess for anything that needs repair.

I get it that you are unhappy with that policy. Generally my experiences have been very positive but I always share if not as well. That's honest and fair feedback shared with forum members

Geoff, I don't challenge your judgment, nor suggest that anyone else share my opinion. In the long run, I want Leica to be successful....that helps everyone... so the more S customers the better. But I still think Leica's overall response to the lens debacle (communication, delays and ultimate policy) has been shameful. And, as I noted, one reputable dealer shared with me his disgust at the treatment of his many S customers. I, too, carry comprehensive insurance, but that doesn't count in my assessment.

I truly hope things improve, but I'll remain on the S sidelines until they show me more. The SL system seems reliable, so that's a good step. I'm curious how it's doing relative to sales expectations.

Jeff

• Like 1

Jeff, I have heard it said more than once that everything before the word "but" in a statement should be ignored :-)  Yes I understand your viewpoint. I wouldn't expect anyone's viewpoint to change as a result of forum discussions in any event but we all contribute our personal experiences and views. We all judge what makes sense for ourselves.
I have an SL too. I just added up and I have made over 36 000 exposures with S cameras so far, since starting with a third hand S2. About 7 500 with my SL. For my photography I am very pleased to continue with the S system. I can also say that the SL of course cannot produce the same results for me, while having its own strengths. For MY photography the S system advantages are clear cut and worth it.  the new forecast SL lenses sound superb too, whenever they get to market.

Jeff, I have heard it said more than once that everything before the word "but" in a statement should be ignored :-)  Yes I understand your viewpoint. I wouldn't expect anyone's viewpoint to change as a result of forum discussions in any event but we all contribute our personal experiences and views. We all judge what makes sense for ourselves.

I have an SL too. I just added up and I have made over 36 000 exposures with S cameras so far, since starting with a third hand S2. About 7 500 with my SL. For my photography I am very pleased to continue with the S system. I can also say that the SL of course cannot produce the same results for me, while having its own strengths. For MY photography the S system advantages are clear cut and worth it.  the new forecast SL lenses sound superb too, whenever they get to market.

Indeed.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Jeff, I have heard it said more than once that everything before the word "but" in a statement should be ignored :-) Yes I understand your viewpoint. I wouldn't expect anyone's viewpoint to change as a result of forum discussions in any event but we all contribute our personal experiences and views. We all judge what makes sense for ourselves.

I have an SL too. I just added up and I have made over 36 000 exposures with S cameras so far, since starting with a third hand S2. About 7 500 with my SL. For my photography I am very pleased to continue with the S system. I can also say that the SL of course cannot produce the same results for me, while having its own strengths. For MY photography the S system advantages are clear cut and worth it. the new forecast SL lenses sound superb too, whenever they get to market.

Geoff

I sold my SL yesterday as it’s just to big to be a walk about Camera especially with the monstrosity of the SL lenses....... there a joke.

I now have the TL2 as a back up to my S. The files from what I have seen up to now are as good as the SL and maybe a little better than the M10 which I find way to saturated for my liking.

With a new S just around the corner we will just have to wait and see what surprises Leica have up there sleeve

Neil