Seeking opinions on an M7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

Been looking to get an M7 body.

An opportunity came along to purchase a brand new unused M7, Black, 0.72 body at a good price.

It's serial number is 2945XXX ... read somewhere online that this dates its manufacture year around 2003.

If it's indeed true, or close, that means this body is more than 10 years old, and unused.

Should I be concerned about its working condition?

Thank you!

I bought one made in 2001, almost unused. I had some shutter cocking troubles with the first couple of rolls, so I was preparing to send it out for cla, but then the problem cleared by itself, and I've shot three rolls without any problem. I'm so happy with it I bought another, made in 2002, that should arrive shortly. I personally would prefer an unused body, even if it might require a cla. But I would think chances are it will work flawlessly from the start.

• Like 1

It's serial number is 2945XXX ... read somewhere online that this dates its manufacture year around 2003.

If it's indeed true, or close, that means this body is more than 10 years old, and unused.

even if it might require a cla.

An M7 of that vintage will have the old style DX reader. Leica still replace this with the new optical reader if you request it and will do it free of charge (I can confirm that they did it for me as recently as Jan/Feb of this year and it took less than a couple of months). As part of that 'upgrade' they have to take the camera apart and will make sure it works properly before returning it.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 3

An M7 of that vintage will have the old style DX reader. Leica still replace this with the new optical reader if you request it and will do it free of charge (I can confirm that they did it for me as recently as Jan/Feb of this year and it took less than a couple of months). As part of that 'upgrade' they have to take the camera apart and will make sure it works properly before returning it.

That sounds great! Thank you for the tip wattsy :)

There are many M7 users here, but I have purchased both used from Popflash and new from B&H, both with newer viewfinder and DX contacts.  Here's what I would do:

1. I would contact Leica and run the serial number

2. Have them provide some type of proof that it is "New Old Stock," and this is difficult, but you should at least have all the boxes, papers and the bottom plate still has the plastic

3. Ask the seller that if the shutter has some use, was there ever a soft release button used; if yes, M7 is very prone to release button damage, top plate coming loose and then a $400 repair about two years later.  I have two M7s, both having this issue, one new silver chrome (repaired under warranty by Leica), one used black chrome (being repaired right now by Leica, see this thread).

4. If it is not a reputable seller on here, a great Leica dealer like Popflash or Tamarkin or an eBay seller with a stellar rating, I would probably not do it.  Keep in mind that Leica may or not charge you for any repair above the DX reader replacement

• Like 1

I bought 3 used M7's in the past years and never had a problem with any of them.

I would prefer a mint used one instead of one claimed to be new, pay more for "new" but you never now if it's really a new one.

All my 3 M7's have the older DX reader but i never use it, i prefer manual ASA selection, but all DX readers work as it should be.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Personnaly I wouldn't believe you can get a +20 years old camera never used, mint,... unless you pay the price. You may find a "new" M7 but it has a significant price.

Everything depends on how much you want to spent.

I recently change my M6 (which I bought from a good frend - well used but never an issue) for an M7. Top plate was loose but seller agreed to repair it for free.

I keep in mind that a camera is a tool and after some times it gets used and need repair, cleaning,...(even if it stays in a closet for 20 years)

I would say now, go for a second hand, as good as you can afford. Check it before you buy, as much as possible.

Yes, this model has some flaws like Dx reader,... but not all units have it. Mine works fine and uprade is not necessary for me (the same for the OVF)

But this camera is an everyday joy to shoot with :-)

• Like 1