Looking for the smallest bag to hold a 3-lens m-240 set?

w44neg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for the replies. I've had the Bowery in the past but I dropped it once and it damaged my Sony camera inside it. Very slippery and no handles to grab on to. This could well be the downfall of the Billingham products but I'm yet to hold one in my hands. I do need to get something sorted pretty quickly though.

I've just received a fogg b-laika, customised with a grab handle. bee berman is always happy to discuss modifications - for a price, of course, but after going through a good many other bags I now know I'll keep my fogg bags for life (my own).

I intend it for my M240+2lenses, but it looks like it should take 3, most likely the 28 Elmarit, 75 Apo-Summicron and possibly the 50 Apo-Summicron. I can't check this or demonstrate it as the body is away to get the RF recalibrated.

I've just received a fogg b-laika, customised with a grab handle. bee berman is always happy to discuss modifications - for a price, of course, but after going through a good many other bags I now know I'll keep my fogg bags for life (my own).

I intend it for my M240+2lenses, but it looks like it should take 3, most likely the 28 Elmarit, 75 Apo-Summicron and possibly the 50 Apo-Summicron. I can't check this or demonstrate it as the body is away to get the RF recalibrated.

As nice as they are, I really can't get over the terrible photos on the website (using fruit to advertise doesn't give me a great idea of proportions) and the price. I've spent a lot of money on bags in the past but 600 or so euros is just too much for me to pay for a bag.

I doubt you could drop the Billingham Digital Hadley and expect no damage.
You can bump it, kick it over.... but an 18" drop onto to and hard floor....maybe you'll get lucky
....but I doubt it.

Now that is a good question:
What is a light weight bag for an M and a couple lenses.That will pass the drop onto a rocky path or cement floor test?

How high is safe ...18", 24" a bag that fell from a table top say 3" ?

Is there such a soft bag.....Zero halliburton, Pelican, etc for sure

Soft sided ....whats out there?

Edited by ECohen

You can bump it, kick it over.... but an 18" drop onto to and hard floor....maybe you'll get lucky

....but I doubt it.

What is a light weight bag for an M and a couple lenses.That will pass the drop onto a rocky path or cement floor test?

You seem to have read my statement totally wrong. I dropped the bag because it was slippery to the touch. I didn't expect a 4 foot drop to cause no damage. No need for your sarcasm especially when it's in reference to something you took the wrong way :-)

As nice as they are, I really can't get over the terrible photos on the website (using fruit to advertise doesn't give me a great idea of proportions) and the price. I've spent a lot of money on bags in the past but 600 or so euros is just too much for me to pay for a bag.

Fair comment. I started with a fogg flute (1 body, 1 lens). Thereafter I had enough confidence that the stated dimensions were reliable, and the design, materials and workmanship were excellent. All (I think) of the straps go under the bag for security, which is important to me (especially for the b major which holds my SL+zooms).

But I agree the images don't help much to show capacity or actual colour (the brown leather is much more subdued in realty).

Edited by LocalHero1953

Fair comment. I started with a fogg flute (1 body, 1 lens). Thereafter I had enough confidence that the stated dimensions were reliable, and the design, materials and workmanship were excellent. All (I think) of the straps go under the bag for security, which is important to me (especially for the b major which holds my SL+zooms).

But I agree the images don't help much to show capacity or actual colour (the brown leather is much more subdued in realty).

Thanks, yes I'm sure they're amazing in reality but as a photography product, and at those prices, it may be classed as reasonable to expect some decent photos rather than gallery prints :-)

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You seem to have read my statement totally wrong. I dropped the bag because it was slippery to the touch. I didn't expect a 4 foot drop to cause no damage. No need for your sarcasm especially when it's in reference to something you took the wrong way :-)

For me, you're the misreader. I got the impression that ECohen was interested in the question about survivability in soft bag falls.

• Like 2

Respectfully I'm truly sorry and honestly I meant no sarcasm

If it came out that way please accept my apology

Edited by ECohen

....but I doubt it.

Two leather bags I've had would be OK. One was a custom non-camera messenger bag made of thick stiff hide (I no longer have it). The seams along the bottom projected several centimetres. If dropped, the camera was supported by the flat base, and would probably never have bumped the ground directly.

I had a much smaller one designed on similar principles for an M, with the difference that there was a removable false base that created a similar gap of about 2cm between the camera support layer and the actual base. The combination of stiff leather and an air gap seems to do the trick. Neither bag had any other padding. Both had other defects, but vulnerability to dropping and impact were not them.

For me, you're the misreader. I got the impression that ECohen was interested in the question about survivability in soft bag falls.

Respectfully I'm truly sorry and honestly I meant no sarcasm

If it came out that way please accept my apology

No my sincere apologies as I misread. Please ignore my out of order response.

• Like 1

Sorry your not around the corner, I'd lend you my  Digital Hadley to try for the week.

I feel even worse about my response now lol. I do think padding is important though in response to your question in the post. I notice a lot of "camera bags" only have partitions but no real padding going on. Also, so many have black interiors making it nigh on impossible indoors to find your memory card etc.

I first bought the A&A 7100 well padded with a red interior, which sits unused in the closet.
It nicely held a camera and any 3 M lenses. But it was too big for my small kit

Get a hold of the Digital Hadley, it really is a great bag.
Check out the dividers on my photo, Post #24 not much to them, but its enough.
The bag will take general bumps and scrapes and is very light weight.

If you buy from Billingham UK  I understand they have a good return policy

Let me know if you need other photos it would be my pleasure.

I first bought the A&A 7100 well padded with a red interior, which sits unused in the closet.

It nicely held a camera and any 3 M lenses. But it was too big for my small kit

Get a hold of the Digital Hadley, it really is a great bag.

Check out the dividers on my photo, Post #24 not much to them, but its enough.

The bag will take general bumps and scrapes and is very light weight.

If you buy from Billingham UK  I understand they have a good return policy

Let me know if you need other photos it would be my pleasure.

Thanks, I really appreciate that. 

Everyone wants a ready-made. Consider designing your own. One trip is to wrap your gear in individual plastic-bag wraps, and vacuum press them close together in wet leather. Let it dry in the sun. There you have the matrix/mold for a custom leather bag. But nooo, that's not a consumer approach. Too bad. That's how the top makers work.

Everyone wants a ready-made. Consider designing your own. One trip is to wrap your gear in individual plastic-bag wraps, and vacuum press them close together in wet leather. Let it dry in the sun. There you have the matrix/mold for a custom leather bag. But nooo, that's not a consumer approach. Too bad. That's how the top makers work.

I'd love to make my own but I'm about as skilled at things like that as a piece of fruit :-)

Thanks but the Munich bag looks much bigger than what I need, and the Fogg Lyre just looks like something from the 1980s :-D The Hadley Digital may well be ideal after watching a video review just now.

I think the Hadley pro is larger than the Munich.

There aren't really any bags with a 21st century look. We'd have to wait for gucci's next season I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the Hadley pro is larger than the Munich.

There aren't really any bags with a 21st century look. We'd have to wait for gucci's next season I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well don't be surprised if there's a Gucci/Leica collab at some point :-)

• Like 1