Zeiss 21mm f/4.5 C Biogon on Leica M10

nico1974

Much thanks for the work...

I have a ZM 21/4.5, but purchased for use in the Fuji X-E1 with no problem at all. An APS-C camera only use the center 2/3 of the image circle. :) 

I'd read about the problems of the lens on the M8, 9...and now seen your result on an M10. IMO, even the JPEG files without PP is good enough...

Thanks again.

TY for the example with stock Sony, I'm surprised it's not worse, honestly.

You are correct, no stock A7 of any flavor can shoot the zm 21/4.5 well, nor can previous Kolari mods. I was very specific about who made the modification and the result in my post above. Kolari also has a new mod, called the "UT", which stands for ultra-thin.

32622694052_78f0082f54_z.jpgFilter Side by side labelled by unoh7, on Flickr

The IR cut labeled "V4" is the new .2mm IR cut Kolari now offers for Sony A7 cameras, with the specific goal of M lens performance.

Here is a thread which explains these new types of mods (only available for a few months) for the sony cameras:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1465200

I don't post this to advocate any mod, just to answer your question and share what is now possible: with the NK type mod (not Kolari), the A7r2 can shoot the zm 21/4.5 better than either M9 or M240, but comparison to M10 will have to await more samples.

My dream would be to have both a M10 and A7rii with a new type mod. Both great with M glass, each having strengths the other does not. At the moment I shoot M9 and A7 Kolari v2. I use the SEM 21 myself, which even the v2 shoots pretty well.

I think the ZM21/4.5 is a really good test lens for digital M, since it has such steep ray angles: 44.4 degrees.

7 months ago I almost had an a7 converted. I was concerned about IR. Are you pleased with the conversion?

They answered, "Yes. It lets in a little more red than the stock filter, but filters out IR. The WB is a little red shifted but there is no IR contamination."

With any of the filter stack mods you should develop a profile (Color Checker or the like) or with trim adjustments to the camera profile (if you use LR). I have had very good color balance with these mods that way (as a RAW shooter), but there can be limitations for JPG shooters given the limited adjustments possible to the in-camera WB settings.

FM has a lot on this including links to profiles that others have developed for the various mods.

• 4 months later...

I   recently bought the Zeiss 21 f4.5 and used it on my M10 with almost good enough results.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

• 5 months later...