Silent Shutter?

Viv1857

Advertisement (gone after registration)

But having an option to use a silent shutter does not decrease battery life; it's the choice of the photographer to use live view and any other benefits (most of which have nothing to do with the sound of the shutter).  I'd much rather have the option to use a silent shutter, even if it means having to use live view and decrease battery life, than to not have that option at all!  I don't think Leica needs to be so paternalistic to their owners, most of whom are not new to photography and camera battery management.

I don't disagree with you, but Leica has shown a tendency to be exactly that paternalistic.  For example, you can't turn off long exposure noise reduction on, I think, any current Leica since that would hurt image quality.  I'd love to be able to turn it off for star trail photography.  Leica won't let you.  I suspect the same will be true electronic shutter in an 'M'. They won't want to give you the option if it degrades battery life too much.

• Like 2

of course you can keep the display off and use the rangefinder instead.

keeping the shutter open would indeed be necessary. but what makes that a problem. it works with the lifeview as well.

Not suggesting it wouldn't work, just that Leica might decide the cost to battery life--even with the EVF off and the shutter held open--is just too high since you might forget to switch it off.  Then you would unexpectedly be stuck with a dead battery.  I can see them deciding they are wiser than the owners with regard to this topic.  I suppose we'll see since there is no technical barrier I am aware of.

Missing something in this argument. If I can use live view, which runs both the sensor AND the display 100% of the time, why would silent shutter be worse for battery consumption?

More likely some limitation in the hardware that reads or resets the sensor, would be my (uninformed) guess.

With a silent shutter one would be more often in LV mode so batteries would drain faster. Now that i have a silent shutter on my Sony, Fuji & Panasonic cameras i tend to use it most of the time and i suspect it could be the same for many Leica users. 

Edited by lct
  • Like 1

Missing something in this argument. If I can use live view, which runs both the sensor AND the display 100% of the time, why would silent shutter be worse for battery consumption?

More likely some limitation in the hardware that reads or resets the sensor, would be my (uninformed) guess.

It wouldn’t be worse than LiveView—in fact it would draw less power than LiveView. But LiveView tends to be turned on, used for a picture, and then the camera is turned off till the next picture. In other words, you can conserve the battery in LiveView by shutting off the camera if there is a gap between exposures.

With a silent shutter, you would want the camera to remain quiet for an entire event. For example, a thirty minute wedding ceremony. That means sucking battery power for the full thirty minutes. You couldn’t turn the camera off since the shutter would close, creating the noise you were trying from the start to avoid. The M10 doesn’t exactly have much battery capacity to spare.

Leica M was a camera for quiet photo shots. If someone doesn´t like a silent shutter on M10, then he or she can always ignore this feature. The sales of M10 can only increase with a silent shutter. There are many users, that can use it. For wedding, street, churches and so on...

Edited by Utz Nagal

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It wouldn’t be worse than LiveView—in fact it would draw less power than LiveView. But LiveView tends to be turned on, used for a picture, and then the camera is turned off till the next picture. In other words, you can conserve the battery in LiveView by shutting off the camera if there is a gap between exposures.

With a silent shutter, you would want the camera to remain quiet for an entire event. For example, a thirty minute wedding ceremony. That means sucking battery power for the full thirty minutes. You couldn’t turn the camera off since the shutter would close, creating the noise you were trying from the start to avoid. The M10 doesn’t exactly have much battery capacity to spare.

FWIW I have used the SL with silent shutter switched on for an hour-long music recital with no sign of the battery expiring. I know the M10 has a smaller battery and shorter life (I don't have it myself - because there is no silent shutter), but I'd be surprised if it couldn't hold out for 30 minutes.

FWIW I have used the SL with silent shutter switched on for an hour-long music recital with no sign of the battery expiring. I know the M10 has a smaller battery and shorter life (I don't have it myself - because there is no silent shutter), but I'd be surprised if it couldn't hold out for 30 minutes.

How is the chroma noise? Any difference?

How is the chroma noise? Any difference?

Not that I've noticed, but I haven't used it in circumstances where I could easily make a comparison, and where it is already lowish light. I've been watching more for banding from artificial lighting, and avoiding shots when there is a lot of movement (though a conductor with a bendy arm and baton can be fun!)

Understood, but the SL has a different shutter than the M10–designed from the start to spend most of its time with the shutter open (or the viewfinder would never work). I don’t know how long the smaller battery in the M10 would be good for in silent shutter mode, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s as little as thirty or forty minutes based on my LivewView experiences with it (which draws even more power, of course, since it runs the screen the whole time).

Again, I’m not saying silent shutter on the M10 isn’t desirable—I would use it occasionally, for one. I’m just saying I doubt Leica sees it as a good idea.

• 9 months later...

Hello Leica,

Are you reading these posts? Please integrate a silent shutter mode to the M10. Last night I was shooting the sky with sequence interval for half a hour and I can heard the M10 from the balcony to the bedroom, and the neighbours too! :wacko:  

Hello Leica,

Are you reading these posts? Please integrate a silent shutter mode to the M10. Last night I was shooting the sky with sequence interval for half a hour and I can heard the M10 from the balcony to the bedroom, and the neighbours too! :wacko:

Did neighbors complain? :) It can be a conversation starter as well in a modern world (where one hardly speak to neighbors.). :)

I expect technology to evolve to eliminate the mechanical shutter to a no-moving-parts electronic shutter. Some A7III owners say they use only electronic shutter full time. Eliminating the mechanical shutter would save space, reduce complexity, and lower costs. A new M model could use the M viewfinder without needing Live View in this mode. The mechanical shutter uses power too, so an M model using non-live view electronic shutter might have better battery life than expected.

In addition to be more quiet, an electronic shutter could be much faster. I love to shoot wide open with my Noctilux, but I have to use an ND filter much of the time to avoid over exposed images in bright light. An ND filter adds color cast and vignetting, and I would really love to not have to use it.

• Like 1

Hello Leica,

Move

Hello Leica,

Politely ask your neighbours to not be so noisy at night, while you are working.