Silent Shutter?

Viv1857

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I love shooting 'street' indoors but sometimes feel uncomfortable with the M10 shutter sound in that setting. The attached, taken at a distance, was the only shot I felt comfortable taking in this church. 

I understood from interviews at the time of the M10's release that it may be feasible to implement a silent shutter via a firmware update. Any thoughts on liklihood?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

I can't speak to likelihood, but addition of a silent shutter feature would move me to upgrade to the M-10.  I use my M-240 & M-246 as often as I can.  Unfortunately I occasionally shoot in places where the Leica shutter sound is not appropriate.  Then I have to use my mirrorless body or my DSLR both of which have electronic (silent) shutter modes.

Edited by Luke_Miller
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I can't speak to likelihood, but addition of a silent shutter feature would move me to upgrade to the M-10.  I use my M-240 & M-246 as often as I can.  Unfortunately I occasionally shoot in places where the Leica shutter sound is not appropriate.  Then I have to use my mirrorless body or my DSLR both of which have electronic (silent) shutter modes.

+1

I'd take a silent shutter in the TL2 as well. I suspect they're both coming, as it did in the SL. 

I love shooting 'street' indoors but sometimes feel uncomfortable with the M10 shutter sound in that setting. The attached, taken at a distance, was the only shot I felt comfortable taking in this church. 

I understood from interviews at the time of the M10's release that it may be feasible to implement a silent shutter via a firmware update. Any thoughts on liklihood?attachicon.gifL1006428.jpg

I think the shutter is pretty quiet. You have to remember, it seems louder to you than anyone else because the camera is right next to your head.

• Like 1

I totally agree with the sentiment in this thread.  A silent shutter would be a major plus for an already outstanding camera.  Is there any reason to NOT allow users to be able to activate a silent shutter on a modern digital mirrorless camera?

• Like 2

Not Das Wesentliche enough i suspect. Problem for the rest of us it is difficult to do without once you have tasted it. 

Times change: When you take a photograph in a church, nowadays the Canon DSLR is the almost silent camera and the M is the loud, distracting  camera.

CANON. DAS WESENTLICHE.

• Like 2

I was unaware of how noisy my Nikon D4 was until I shot an event that I was also videoing.  The shutter/mirror sound from virtually every still was captured on the camcorder's audio track.  Now I use its Silent Mode (electronic shutter) when my camera noise would be a distraction, but this requires me to give up the optical viewfinder.  A digital M with a silent shutter mode would be a wonderful tool for discrete shooting and would allow use of the optical viewfinder/rangefinder, making it pretty unique in the camera world.

I suspect Leica does not incorporate such a feature for still images is due to the artifacts that can result from using an electronic rolling shutter with moving subjects.  Ironically my M-240 and M-246 have electronic shutters since they are necessary in order to capture video.  

• Like 1

I totally agree with the sentiment in this thread. A silent shutter would be a major plus for an already outstanding camera. Is there any reason to NOT allow users to be able to activate a silent shutter on a modern digital mirrorless camera?

Yes, there is a reason. And it may well keep Leica from adding a silent shutter mode. For an electronic shutter to work, you would have to be shooting in LiveView mode (meaning the camera would need to keep the shutter open even when you weren't taking a picture). On the M10 which was designed primarily for rangefinder use this may be a significant battery draw, even if the EVF itself were left off. I doubt they will add this particular feature. In the TL2, maybe. In the M10? I think it's unlikely.

Edited by Jared

Yes, there is a reason. And it may well keep Leica from adding a silent shutter mode. For an electronic shutter to work, you would have to be shooting in LiveView mode (meaning the camera would need to keep the shutter open even when you weren't taking a picture). On the M10 which was designed primarily for rangefinder use this may be a significant battery draw, even if the EVF itself were left off. I doubt they will add this particular feature. In the TL2, maybe. In the M10? I think it's unlikely.

But having an option to use a silent shutter does not decrease battery life; it's the choice of the photographer to use live view and any other benefits (most of which have nothing to do with the sound of the shutter).  I'd much rather have the option to use a silent shutter, even if it means having to use live view and decrease battery life, than to not have that option at all!  I don't think Leica needs to be so paternalistic to their owners, most of whom are not new to photography and camera battery management.

• Like 3

While a silent (electronic) mode in an M would certainly require the mechanical shutter to be kept open, it does not require the LCD to be active.  So battery drain should be less than with Live View.  Silent mode in a DSLR does require the LCD to be active since the optical viewfinder is not available.  Possibly heat is an issue.  Unlike the M-240 there does not seem to be an Advanced Metering mode when not in Live View.  So those "simplifications" in the M10 (no video or Advanced Metering) may be needed to keep sensor heat under control.  If correct this would suggest no silent shutter is possible.  But hey - we got a thinner body  :)

• Like 1

Just wanted to add -  I think the thinner body of the M10 was primarily intended to achieve improved rangefinder performance rather than to please those who wanted a digital body that was the same width as the film bodies.  So it is a good thing.   In future models I suspect technology will resolve any sensor heat issues so features that tend to cause sensor heat can be re-added.

If you like the 35mm FOV the Rx1rII is your solution. Smaller, quieter and better IQ than any Leica out there. And can be had for the cost of a 35mm summicron. 

Funny, Leica shutters were regarded as the standard for quiet activation not too long ago. Understand the desire for silent shutters, but without a leaf or electronic activation, not sure it will happen. The things we love about the M are also the things that possibly bar it from adopting some of the new tech. Not sure there will ever be a tool that answers all needs at once. 

For an electronic shutter to work, you would have to be shooting in LiveView mode (meaning the camera would need to keep the shutter open even when you weren't taking a picture).

of course you can keep the display off and use the rangefinder instead.

keeping the shutter open would indeed be necessary. but what makes that a problem. it works with the lifeview as well.