Telephoto lenses for M10

hoolyproductions

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Why only Nikon?

Get an adapter for Canon FD an try the FDn 4/300L

You will never ask for a 2x solution ...

Yes, I have thought about FD lenses (Doug Herr uses 500mm FD) but the issue is portability/size. My usage is mainly hiking/backpacking. My 180Lanthar is only 1.3lb with M adapter. FD 300 f/4 will be easily double the weight. I would rather have 180APO+2XAPO under 2lb with versatility of 2 focal length.

Also my use of tele lens is not primarily wild life/birding. This is why I don't need 300-400mm. Shorter is fine for most purposes.

The Leica 135mm Apo-Telyt-M is actually sharper and yields more fine resolution than the much revered Zeiss 135mm APO-Sonnar f2 which is often described as having Otus performance. However I am a bit of a sucker for that f2 aperture and rendering of the Zeiss. But I was quite surprised how good the Leica is, for how little recognition it gets. It's size relative to the Zeiss, is a significant variable too for usability in such a lens and camera.

Edited by Paul J
  • Like 2

I am also in favor of the APO Telyt 135.  It is very sharp and reasonably easy to use handheld, and as noted, it is also usable without the EVF if you find yourself in that position.  The Leica 24mp sensors are good enoughg to stand heavy cropping so you can strtech yourself to 200mm equivalent quite easily -- and still have a compact, fairly light system. 

• Like 4

For interest - a couple of examples with the 135 A/T  - 1 from M240, the M10.

I think they speak for themselves.  100% crops also.  I wish I'd had the M10 when I was doing the Bihar shoot...

NO NR on either image

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by chris_tribble
  • Like 3

Yes, the e46 :)

I have had several copies of the E39 Tele-Elmar and found that none of them were accurate on focus. However I now have the later E46 version which is very accurate indeed. That said I tend to use it stopped down a bit and I cannot see that changing it to the later apo design would be of any significant benefit for me as a result. Bur if you use your lenses wide open (which from your original post I would guess you do) then the later apo lens just may be a better choice. Personally I find a 135mm lens to be a significant step up from a 90mm and wouldn't consider the heavier, longer R lenses simply due to bulk, but that's a personal comment and a statement of my point of view rather than advice/suggestion.

Vintage TE 135mm is good for me:

Edited by jaques
  • Like 5

For interest - a couple of examples with the 135 A/T  - 1 from M240, the M10.

I think they speak for themselves.  100% crops also.  I wish I'd had the M10 when I was doing the Bihar shoot...

NO NR on either image

attachicon.gif001_M2008862.jpg

attachicon.gif001_M2008862-2.jpg

attachicon.gif001_L1004633-2.jpg

attachicon.gif001_L1004633-2-2.jpg

I am surprised by this. With my Tele-Elmar on M-P 240 I get better results than this when I manage to focus it without camera shake.  Find it hard to believe that the difference is in the sensor.

The first image is shot at 1/60 the second at 1/180, lighting conditions and exposure also very different.

I am surprised by this. With my Tele-Elmar on M-P 240 I get better results than this when I manage to focus it without camera shake.  Find it hard to believe that the difference is in the sensor.

The first image is shot at 1/60 the second at 1/180, lighting conditions and exposure also very different.

Dem331 - I wasn't making a direct comparison.  I wanted to give an idea of what the 135 A-T can do irrespective of platform.

I actually think that the Bihar shot - even if it is marginally soft - is one of the best I've ever done in terms of mood, frame and importance for the client.  They thought it was a great shot - and I like it too :)

I would have liked to have had the M10 with me because the higher ISO and the improved EVF would have helped me get this shot better AND would have helped me get a lot of other ones that didn't quite make the cut.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Or adapted FD 100-300mm f5.6L. I use it with Fuji XE-2 all the time, waiting for a Kipon FD-M adapter for use with M10. It’s very light and relatively short. The lens’ L version is the one you want - much better IQ than the non-L version.

The best part? Mine was a $200 Ebay special.

Edited by lecycliste

OK - it's not a long tele-lens, but I've been delighted by the Macro-Elmar M 90 f4.  Paired with the M10 (+ 28 and 50 in the bag) it makes a remarkably flexible travel lens - and focuses really well with the optical VF, a big advantage IMHO.  I was at a conference this weekend and was asked to take some head shots of speakers - normal crap interior light, but the Macro Elmar came up with the goods. OK - you need reliable 1600 or 3200 for this to work - but the M10 gives you this. The example here was hand held at 1/45.  I've taken sharper shots, but for documentary purposes it's more than sufficient - and the Macro-Elmar is so small and light you hardly notice you've got it with you (until you need it!)

Edited by chris_tribble
  • Like 1

I'm another happy user of the 135 3.4 APO, especially when used with the 1.25x or 1.4x VF magnifiers.  It needs lots of light, as does any telephoto at 3.4 or smaller aperture, but the IQ is outstanding and it's not as hard to focus as one might think.  If you are shooting sports, stick with a AF-C DSLR, but if you are doing telephoto captures of stationary subjects, the 135 APO will satisfy.

OK - it's not a long tele-lens, but I've been delighted by the Macro-Elmar M 90 f4. Paired with the M10 (+ 28 and 50 in the bag) it makes a remarkably flexible travel lens - and focuses really well with the optical VF, a big advantage IMHO. I was at a conference this weekend and was asked to take some head shots of speakers - normal crap interior light, but the Macro Elmar came up with the goods. OK - you need reliable 1600 or 3200 for this to work - but the M10 gives you this. The example here was hand held at 1/45. I've taken sharper shots, but for documentary purposes it's more than sufficient - and the Macro-Elmar is so small and light you hardly notice you've got it with you (until you need it!)

+1

I can't sing enough praise for Macro-Elmar M 90 f4. A must have in everybody's bag. It is sharp enough to give you a 135mm crop. Only when you need 200mm or longer, you need a heavier and longer lens (in that case 180APO3.4 +2XAPO fills for me all the way to 360mm, the lightest and highest performant option).

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 2

I find the Olympus 75-150 very useful on my M240 and surprisingly good, its main fault being distortion. This is easily correctable in PS. I bought a mint one for 40€, an adapter for 20, CLA 75 and am quite happy with the results.

• Like 1

I find the Olympus 75-150 very useful on my M240 and surprisingly good, its main fault being distortion. This is easily correctable in PS. I bought a mint one for 40€, an adapter for 20, CLA 75 and am quite happy with the results.

+1

I got this after your recommendation and liked it. This is very good travel zoom. Light and compact. However I don't use it now since I carry 90macro-Elmer (I don't hesitate in cropping or stitching :) ).

Edit: also a factor here that I am not a zoom guy. In fact I often forget that I can change focal length when I am using a zoom! In my style of shooting there are only two variables I control (aperture and focusing). I get overwhelmed by more control. :)

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...