Some special ERC for screw mount Leica cameras

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would like to share with you those ever ready cases made for Leica screw mount cameras with accessories attached on the base of the camera.

The first is for the use of the SCNOO, second for use with a SYOOM , the third is for use with Flash base, the fourth with the MOOLY motor 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

Two different style MOOLY cases. Both with larger lens snout for summar or summitar lens instead of collapsed elmar. Both marked leitz on the snout, one with condenser logo on the bottom.  A IIIc with IIIc Mooly will fit, but is tight in both, so I expect they are for earlier/shorter cameras, III, IIIa, IIIb.

• Like 6

And there are some for accessories added on the top usually for viewfinder or rangefinder

the ones with some clamp in the top, the second are the same shape but the left one have aclamp in the top but the right one is without

the last for large viewfinder like VIDOM or VIOOH

• Like 5

The case for the SELSY flash with dovetail and rear cut-out for slider.  On the right is a brand new case for leicavit and the snout is large enough for the Xenon/Summarit/Summicron(rigid).

• Like 5

Thanks JC and Alan. These are lovely specimens. A lot of my ones are suffering from aged threads and are in need of repair. Shoemakers and leather workers here are not interested in doing such repair work. I might try one of the guys who does ERCs for modern Leicas.

I have the cases for the SCNOO and the SYOOM. I believe that both may be described as an 'ESOOR', 'EPZOO' or 'EMOOX' depending on whether they are for the Elmar, Summitar or Summarit. The ESOOR exists in both pre-war and post-war versions which sometimes leads to confusion; so purchasers should check before purchase which one is being sold. Not only is the slot different at the bottom, the one for the SYOOM is ,of course, wider as it is only for post-war models. The case for the MOOLY is on my wants list, but they are getting quite expensive these days. The MOOLY cases for Elmar, Summar and Xenon are 'EWOON', 'EYSOO' and 'EZOOK' respectively. JC's MOOLY case looks like the EWOON and Alan's cases seem to be for either the Summar or the Xenon, perhaps both.

There are various cases for LTM models with the VIOOH viewfinder and FOKOS rangefinder. Two of the more common ones are the EFGOO and the EFOOS, but there are others.

ERCs and, indeed, early outfit cases like the ETGAM, are worthy of study as nobody has dealt with these comprehensively. Laney has about the best list, but his book has very few photos. Early catalogues don't contain much information either, although some of the mid 1930s catalogues show pictures of the outfit cases which came after the ETGAM.

One issue with ERCs that fold/open forward is that the cover often flaps around in front of the lens. It also causes a pressure point where the stitching may come apart which is something else to check when purchasing.

The ETRIN  which is the very first Leica ERC case (I have shown my early 1926 version on the recent O thread) has a lot to recommend it. When used with a shoulder strap it acts as a very nice holster for drawing out a camera without worrying about a flapping front cover. I have seen similar designs for cases for modern cameras.

William

• Like 2

If anyone needs leatherwork done in the UK, I would recommend "Clever with Leather" in the north Lanes in Brighton. He is keen on Leica cameras and if you arrive carrying one, you will get a much better reception than the somewhat surly response, if you are not. He has done some lovely ERC repairs for me and made a beautiful top handle for my Billingham-M Combi case. He is a real leather craftsman with the massive old sewing machines you need for leather stitching. He has lots of bits of old aged leather around for matching repairs. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Some early advertisements and catalogue details here about ERCs and other cases. I put them on the O Series thread as they fitted there logically.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/270636-leica-o-series-replica-dimensions/?p=3245555

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/270636-leica-o-series-replica-dimensions/?p=3245573

William

• Like 1

I really enjoy the cases made by Leitz. But a problem is that the leather is tanned with an acid based solution and eventually the cotton thread disintegrates. First let's look at cases made by others for the Leica cameras. I find the Leitz, New York cases fare better than the Wetzlar cases. Also the British cases and Russian cases fare very well. I also have a few cases made by diamond, and they are very durable. Now the rest of the story.

My great grandmother sewed gloves in England in the 1860s so leather stitching is in my genes. Also Freddy one of my Korea Leica Club friends offered to give me some of his "junk" cases that he accumulated over the years. Well he showed up at a Seoul Club gathering and told me he had some in the car for me. After the meeting he ushered me to his car and pulled out of the trunk a huge bag filled with a few hundred cases!

I never forget the looks on the Koreans when I got on the train for Daejeon with this huge garbage bag full of cases. One of the advantages of being a foreigner is it is generally accepted that we are a little crazy and can get away with things the home team could not. So I put the bag at the end of the car where large suitcases can be stashed. About half way to Daejeon, a two hour journey, there was a commotion. I had a feeling it was due to me so I hunkered down. But they pointed me out... I was led by the conductor to my bag and had to open it. After much struggle I successfully accomplished the task. Now some of the cases were in sorry condition and I pulled one out with leather strap dangling. The conductor gave me that "crazy foreigner look". We all know that look. The one they give you when you have three old cameras around your neck as you walk through a market on Saturday morning taking pictures. But now that he realized it was not going to explode, I was able to proceed with little interference. Then the next obstacle was the wife. That is another story.

I have since repaired many of the cases and plan to eBay some. But it has given me a chance to learn a great deal about leather working and fixing the cases. The most difficult task is the case nose. Reattaching this is a real challenge. The holes are so small and close together. Just look at one of your simple Leitz cases. Do they have elves in Wetzlar? I have learned to fix this by bending needles and using a pair of pliers to pull the thread through. The top part of the case treads are easy to do. I use polyester thread waxed with bees wax and a small needle. With careful sewing, thanks to my great grandmother, one can easily put in new thread and make the case strong again. The bottom is more a challenge. It is mostly like the top but for the location of the camera screw down thing. One must remove this to finish sewing and to date have found that this is not easy. Any suggestion appreciated!

I have found that saddle soap and leather conditioner work wonders with bringing back to life the leather. Also Kiwi shoe polish works to bring back the surface patina of the case. Now I must start offering these master pieces to others as my wife has been saying "when are you getting rid of.....?" I do have them hid in cubby holes through out our meager home but lately she has found them while preparing all for a month of German relatives staying with us. So watch eBay for the invasion of my repaired cases!

The jist of this thread is that you can repair your cases. It is done with a few tools, good thread and lots of patience. Double the thread, chase the hole with a needle, wax the thread, match the thread color, and start sewing! Then polish the case. It is amazing how beautiful they look when done. Also watch others expressions when you point out the new threads in the case lens nose. That alone is worth the hours of toil! Just get on with it. The journey starts with the first stitch.

Edited by George Furst
  • Like 2

Maybe already noted, but in VIDOM No. 85 there is an article about leitz leather cases and bellows made be the leitz staff.  I don't know if all cases were made at leitz, but surely some were.  The text is in German, so i could not follow much of it.  Also, a person applying felt/velvet inside lens caps is shown, the caps seem like 50 and 90 summicron. Many small cases for microscope accessories are shown. Early M cameras are showns so the photos may be from the 1950-60's era.

• Like 1

George, 

You may find that sailmakers' needles are a great help when doing small repairs to leather. I have done very minor repairs with them but as I already posted I have got such a good professional leather repairer locally, that I usually use him, rather than risk messing up an 80+ year old case by my cack-handedness. See the sailmakers' needles below available on Amazon UK for the huge sum of £5.39 for the whole lot. You probably need a sailmaker's "palm" as well to push these needles through leather. Somewhere I have my father-in-law's palm, dating from the 1930's, when he was a keen sailor and his boats would still have had canvas sails. 

Wilson

• Like 1

I find this AWL sewing device handy, using the smallest needle available.  They are available on ebay for as low as $10. Nylon thread in white, brown and black is available.

If you are going to use the correct linen thread, you should pull it though a block of beeswax before stitching, so that it slides through the holes in the leather easily. This also preserves the thread and waterproofs it. 

Wilson