My other camera is a (fill in blank)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Possible gear arrangement in my near future as I decided to hold off on M10 and keep 240. This has me thinking of adding a camera and ideally one that complements the 240. Uncertain if that is in the form of a DSLR or P & S or another 240.

So... out of curiosity and seeking guidance, what is your other camera and the logic in your set up?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Panasonic GX8 + "Leica" lenses,- 15 (=30) Summilux, 25 (=50) Summilux, 50( =100)  Summilux M asph, 100-400 (=200-800) Vario-Elmar,

replaces the M240 as a travel an  wildlife camera.

Reasons:

Light, small and  capable long zoom,

Good AF and useful features.

Very good manual focus

Very good EVF

Amazing image stabilisation (up to 5 stops, giving easy 800 mm shots @ 60th handheld)

Excellent light  "Leica Summilux" lenses

Surprisingly capable  20 MP sensor

Superior build quality.

Fully weatherproofed.

I went for the Panasonic over Olympus because the Leica  lenses work better with the body.

And the whole kit fits into a small Billingham for Leica bag and weighs less than 5kg...

• Like 5

My other camera is an Olympus OM-D E-M1 with a couple of M.Zuiko zoom and prime lenses. I mostly use it for sports and events—or, basically, for everything that requires auto-focus, zoom, or long telephoto (or any combination thereof). For anything else, I grab the Leica. I chose the µ4/3 format because I wanted a particularly fast and portable system, and telephoto lenses for µ4/3 are significantly smaller than those for APS-C (not to mention 35-mm full-frame). Furthermore, I love the 4:3 image aspect ratio as well as the OM-D's in-body image stabilisation.

I using this combination of Leica M plus Olympus OM-D for three years now and couldn't be happier.

• Like 2

My other camera is a Nikon D5 with 3 newish Nikon zooms and 3 primes. I basically use it for anything where I need autofocus (because I'm not fast enough with the M) - my kids, sporting events, kitchen and restaurant work, etc - or telephoto beyond 135. I've been shooting both systems since 1996, and it seems like I alternate body upgrades - I started with an M6 and an F5.

I also have a Leica T, which gets used by my wife or my son and a Nikon waterproof AW120 which we use when snowboarding. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

m43 system with some Panaleica and Olympus lenses and Olympus bodies. In-body stabilisation is fantastic and you can have the system actually super compact (17mm + 45mm 1.8) or large®, then with really good subject isolation, for instance with the Nocticron. 

Reason for choosing the Olympus bodies over Panasonic was a combination of looks and in-body stabilisation (which Panasonic now has as well in some models, I understand).

• Like 1

Thanks for feedback! Diverse thinking here which is why the question was posed... real world users!

If I go the route of P & S then Sony RX100 or Leica 109 or Sony 6300.

If DSLR then Nikon D750 with 24-70 or Canon 6D with 24-70.

A second body 240 is appealing as well.

My latest creation is a 5.6x10cm roll-film viewfinder camera w/47mm Super Angulon with (ta daa) a laser rangefinder. Pictures forthcoming.

Next under development is a 47mm Super Angulon over a convertible back using film from 4x5" to any universal roll-film back. The back scales down to preferred format.  Early image of it sans viewfinder. Guaranteed that you have never seen anything like it. Very compact. Almost done. It is an all metal, far more compact version of my wooden prototype shown here. Entirely different now.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

Kolari modded Sony A7s and Fuji X-E2 with Leica M & R lenses mostly. Small size, silence and fast operation. Pretty well what i'd have expected from the SL and the T. The Sony is so good that it's almost killed the Fuji but i keep using the latter with the MATE as a 40-50-75/4 equiv. compact zoom. I also have a Panasonic LX100 which is a great litle camera with Leica lens of course ;).

• Like 1

Hi Randy! Great to see you here. Sold the Canon DSLR outfit long ago to fund the M9. There are times I miss the DSLR for track but still enjoy the rangefinder experience. I have considered the Q but with the SIGNIFICANT 240 price drops... it's tempting to just pick up another 240 and NOT have to deal with two workflows.

• Like 1

m43 system with some Panaleica and Olympus lenses and Olympus bodies. In-body stabilisation is fantastic and you can have the system actually super compact (17mm + 45mm 1.8) or large®, then with really good subject isolation, for instance with the Nocticron. 

Reason for choosing the Olympus bodies over Panasonic was a combination of looks and in-body stabilisation (which Panasonic now has as well in some models, I understand).

Not only that, but the GH5 and GX8 will combine the in-body stabilization (2 stops) and lens stabilization (3 stops) to a coordinated 5-stop 5-axis stabilizing system with selected lenses.

• Like 1

- Canon 6D w/300mm f/4 L and 1.4x converter. I also have one Leica R/EOS adapter but no R lens(es) at the moment. Rationale - I need something for sports and wildlife with sports-grade fast/tracking phase-detect AF (mirrorless won't cut it - yet). And I like full-frame for the DoF, pixel area, etc.

- Hasselblad 501C with 40mm, 50mm, 100mm and 150mm lenses. Just acquired the 40 and 100 - the other two may, or may not, get sold. Rationale - I want classic Arbus/Meatyard/Penn 6x6 square documentary pictures (with black borders and authentic Hassy notches - and film, of course).

- M9 as cheap backup that uses my M lenses as intended

• Like 1

Canon 5dm3, for chasing the grandson around and a bit of birding and architectural etc., need the full frame quality, just don't seem to be able to live with the smaller sensors image quality in the end. M240 and M7 for everything else. Wish I still had my Monochrom (sigh)

• Like 1

Not only that, but the GH5 and GX8 will combine the in-body stabilization (2 stops) and lens stabilization (3 stops) to a coordinated 5-stop 5-axis stabilizing system with selected lenses.

Right......

Like jaapv my "other" camera routes include the Panasonic MFT line, the extremely capable GH4 and later this year I will probably trade up to the GH5.

My reasons being are the GH's video capabilities that have replaced in most part my S35 digital cinema camera systems for that area of my working life. I've been tempted by jaapv's choice of the GX8, but decided to hold out for the GH5 when it becomes more available and maybe some early "wrinkles" have been ironed out. The Pana' systems in-camera IS could be a very useful feature.

I like too the highly adaptable MFT mount that allows me to use a lot of my S35 and S16 PL glass as well as a host of other system's lenses.

The other stills system I use is a Nikon D810 with a collection of newer glass plus some legacy lenses that go back to the 1960's and 70's and are still just fine on the D810.

Wherever I can I choose an OVF over an EVF any day of the week.

With Leica, my "grab and go" camera is the Q. I struggled with keeping the camera at first but it grew on me and now it ties with the MM1 as the camera I choose to carry around for my personal work. The 28mm lens is a perfect fit for me and the auto capabilities make using the Q a no-brainer.

I have a closet full of "other" cameras.  Some for special occasions (Hasselblads with a CCD digital back), some for portraits in a hurry (Fuji X-Pro2), some for video experiments (Olympus 16-MPx e-m5.2).  But my main camera is the SL, with R lenses, with M lenses  and with the 90-280 zoom.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 2