My other camera is a (fill in blank)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 Nikon D800e + five lenses, 5 Nikon F & F2’s + 8 lenses, 1 Hasellblad 500c + 4 lenses, 1 Hasellblad + 1 Superwide, 1 Rollie F 2.8 TLR, 1 Sony RX100 3.  All cameras are in regular use.  The logic for use is what I consider to be the most appropriate to the work I am doing at the time.

i've had a lot of cameras and Leica through the years. (x1, x, xvario, m9, Q) and for some absurd reason, i sold all of them one after the other.

but in about a month time, i decided to reverse this for good, and possibly forever :)

started with a Leica TL, bought 3 weeks ago. and today i got rid of absolutely all my camera gear in order to buy ... the M 262.

de facto, my unique and only "other" camera has just become the Leica TL.

My other cameras in addition to the fairly recently acquired M262 are:

Leica V-Lux 3 for ship and long distance photography.

Leica X1 for something small when needed.

Leica X-Vario bought it as a bundle deal with accessories because it was the nearest to my old Digilux 2 not been used much since the M262 arrived. Currently reviewing its future!

John

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have many 'other cameras' - however my main go to other cameras in the digital world are my Leica Q & T (with four lenses for the T) - and a Fuji-X-Pro2 (with five lenses - if you ever get a chance, shoot with this camera - very nice) - I also have a full Canon system with several L lenses, but don't really shoot it all that much anymore - I am getting to old to carry all that stuff around  :) .

My current camera line up consists a Sony A7R2 (55mm 1.8 and 16-35 F4 Zeiss) and also a Canon 5D Mk4 (85L II and 24-70 2.8 II).

All of my cameras have their own purpose. But the M240 with summilux lenses is still my favourite to use :)

Why stop at one? Taken with my SL  :)

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

This whole thread is like having a 'my other car is a Skoda' sticker on your Ferrari  :) (OK, maybe not the guys with Phase Ones and Hasselblads ...)

In my past life I drove a heavily dented and faded paint 65 Mustang with the bumper sticker,

"My other car is a piece of sh*t, too."

Oh, to get back on-topic, all my non-Leicas (there are many) are range finders or viewfinders. :)

Edited by pico

• 2 weeks later...

Panasonic GX8 + "Leica" lenses,- 15 (=30) Summilux, 25 (=50) Summilux, 50( =100)  Summilux M asph, 100-400 (=200-800) Vario-Elmar,

replaces the M240 as a travel an  wildlife camera.

Reasons:

Light, small and  capable long zoom,

Good AF and useful features.

Very good manual focus

Very good EVF

Amazing image stabilisation (up to 5 stops, giving easy 800 mm shots @ 60th handheld)

Excellent light  "Leica Summilux" lenses

Surprisingly capable  20 MP sensor

Superior build quality.

Fully weatherproofed.

I went for the Panasonic over Olympus because the Leica  lenses work better with the body.

And the whole kit fits into a small Billingham for Leica bag and weighs less than 5kg...

I just noticed this thread and would like to respond to jaapv.  I have been using the GX8 and the Leica line of 4/3 lenses as backup to M240 and/or Nikon D800e systems.  I am impressed beyond my expectations for a small sensor camera/ lens system.

What stands out to me is your comment that your GX8 plus Leica lenses "replaces the M240 as a travel and wildlife camera."  I agree that the quality of Lumix/Leica is superb, but can I trust it as my sole system on an important trip?

Specifically, my wife and I may do a safari in the Serengeti within a few months to celebrate an anniversary.  I had been planning to take a Nikon 800e with 24-70 f2.8 zoom and a Nikon D800 set to DX with 80-400 VRII zoom; my wife would take the GX8 with Leica 12-60 and Leica 200-400.

I envy her lighter load.  Do you think I would regret it if I took the Lumix system only?  I may want to blow-up prints to 12x18".  

Thank you for any insights and information.  Your word has always been reliable.  Tom

P.S. I have the same lenses you list, plus the Leica 12-60mm zoom.  In addition, I'm thinking of getting the new Leica super-wide zoom.  Do you think the latter would be clearly superior to the Lumix super-wide zoom?

Other cameras aside from my M240 =

iPhone. Does the trick for much of my computer-screen images.

Leica M7.  Really does feel smaller and lighter than the M240, but the M10 has largely ended that difference.  My M7 doesn't get much use though, given i typically reach for the M240

4x5 film .....it is in a completely different league in terms of resolution & looking "real" for very large prints.  I use one of the best lenses ever made for LF film, which helps (110mm super symmar xl).  With Acros 100 + 750mb+ drum scans, i'm nosing a 70"x55" wide print with no perceivable grain and just endless amount of natural-looking detail.  I also find front-rise indispensable for many shots.

Just bought a Huawei P10 (I admit, mostly to be used as phone... :p) .. and someday will try how are its pictures ( never extracted a photo out from phones , till now...) .

I get a new phone when it gets full of pics and video. Isn't that what every one does? :D

Edited by jmahto