My other camera is a (fill in blank)

Attempted to purchase a Leica Typ 109 this weekend at local brick and mortar but they only had a demo available. Fate telling me to get an RX100 instead? I do like the aperture and focus ring being manual on the 109 although wish it had a tilt screen like the RX100. 

Either way not super enthusiastic about a P & S but figure it makes sense to go to the extremes - super pocketable P & S and super intimidating all-purpose DSLR.

I'll try and rally my enthusiasm later this week.

a very fun Leica TL

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Since having the M240 with its incredible quality, my Olympus setup (E-M1, P5 and lenses from 9 to 200mm) stayed unused more or less. So I sold it and now use a Leica X-E as a "always with me" camera.

I didn't ever miss my Olympus although its a good system, too.

But the better is the enemy of the good...

Best regards,

Ralf K.

Edited by RalfK

My additions to the Leica M 240 (which I bought last) are a Leica X Vario (my vacation and all-around camera, which I bought first) and a Ricoh GR (my compact and all-around camera, which I bought second).

Before that, I used a Ricoh GXR with various modules, including the M-mount module, which led me the way to Leica... I do not use it any longer (with one exception during a vacation, using the 24-85 APS-C module).

Best regards, Gerd

My other "main-"camera is an SL (601) - which is used a lot!!!

The rest is rather a small collection of my early camera wet dreams: A Nikon F3, an Alpa 10d, a Minolta 7000 AF (I never forget my first try of its autofocus!), a little Minox spy camera. Still longing for a Contax RTSiii, a Hasselblad 500 and other beauties. Oh, and I am saving for an a-la-carte Leica MP in black chrome, to be able to use my Leica glass on film again. Shouldn't have sold my M7 to buy M-P240!

What I don't miss: Alpha 7Rii, sold for SL. Fuji X-Pro1, given to a friend. Canon 7D, gathering dust, waiting to be sold for a 90-280 SL lens one day.

Edited by Stereophonie

Another E-M1 II user. This is probably the "anti-Leica" in terms of handling and features, which may be why it makes sense as a second system.

I normally use the M7 and M 262 for most purposes, and then Olympus for macro and anything that needs telephoto (landscapes). The Olympus is also used to "scan" the M7 negatives with a macro lens - which gives amazing results in hi-res (80MP RAW), providing that I can get the film plane flat enough.

Tthe M 262 is in Wetzlar for repair at the moment, so the Olympus is currently being used for all digital shots. It is unsettling how much easier and quieter it is compared to the M ( (AF, exposure, stabiliser... plus the full electronic shutter).

Possible gear arrangement in my near future as I decided to hold off on M10 and keep 240. This has me thinking of adding a camera and ideally one that complements the 240. Uncertain if that is in the form of a DSLR or P & S or another 240.

So... out of curiosity and seeking guidance, what is your other camera and the logic in your set up?

Thanks in advance.

Well I fInally decided. The Q is the new companion to the M240 as of this morning. 

Decided I couldn't go back to a DSLR - too bulky and far more camera than I need. The Nikon D750 would have been my final choice.

Decided I didn't need a P & S since I have an iPhone which is pretty damn good. The Sony RX100 or Leica Type 109 were the contenders.

The Sony A7 II was sort of splitting the difference between DSLR and P & S... sort of.

Ultimately I wanted something that filled in the gap of the M shortcomings (auto focus, macro, etc), was a joy to use, minimal bells and whistles, and produced stellar images.

I really didn't want to spend that much but the heart wants what the heart wants and I tend to give in to that constant tug of the strings... which is a good sign of the correct decision.

Thanks all for the feedback and input!

• Like 2

Well I fInally decided. The Q is the new companion to the M240 as of this morning. 

Decided I couldn't go back to a DSLR - too bulky and far more camera than I need. The Nikon D750 would have been my final choice.

Decided I didn't need a P & S since I have an iPhone which is pretty damn good. The Sony RX100 or Leica Type 109 were the contenders.

The Sony A7 II was sort of splitting the difference between DSLR and P & S... sort of.

Ultimately I wanted something that filled in the gap of the M shortcomings (auto focus, macro, etc), was a joy to use, minimal bells and whistles, and produced stellar images.

I really didn't want to spend that much but the heart wants what the heart wants and I tend to give in to that constant tug of the strings... which is a good sign of the correct decision.

Thanks all for the feedback and input!

Congratulation, and a great choice! Coincidentally you now have a very nice spread of 28, 35 and 50 across two bodies. My personal favourite combination.

Enjoy!

J :)

• Like 1

Possible gear arrangement in my near future as I decided to hold off on M10 and keep 240. This has me thinking of adding a camera and ideally one that complements the 240. Uncertain if that is in the form of a DSLR or P & S or another 240.

So... out of curiosity and seeking guidance, what is your other camera and the logic in your set up?

Thanks in advance.

Same situation as you, i.e. keeping m240, holding off m10, bought fuji x-t2 with 16-55 f2.8 for travel.

Checked out x-pro2, SL with 24-90, Hasselblad X1D but decided x-t2 is the best all round tool for travelling light.

Before this, my travel gear took one of the following forms :

1. X-vario + RX1R

2. OMD EM1 with 12-40 f2.8

3. OMD EM1 with 7-14 f2.8 + M240 + Summicron 35+50)

4. M240 + 50 SUMMICRON + 90 SUMMARIT + WATE

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...