Video mic adapter

Badluck

• 7 months later...

stereo through a single jack.  There is a second jack for a headphone, but it seems to only let you hear playback, not monitor recording.

that's strange... mine does monitor recording.

I found a strange thing, though... If there is a regular mic connected via the adapter, while an XLR mic feeds to BlackMagic Video Assist 4K, there is about 1/8 sec lag between the two. The XLR mic seems to be late.

that's strange... mine does monitor recording.

I found a strange thing, though... If there is a regular mic connected via the adapter, while an XLR mic feeds to BlackMagic Video Assist 4K, there is about 1/8 sec lag between the two. The XLR mic seems to be late.

I tried it briefly, with a Beachtek passive mixer driving the audio jack while I listened.  That didn't work.  And I haven't tried again, since with a powered preamp I have a monitor output on the preamp, and only use the adapter to get audio input to the camera.  

What was your setup?  Were you listening to the result of the onboard mikes only, or was there also a feed into the audio adapter's input?  

The time delays are the opposite of what I might have expected.  One mic goes into the camera, out through the hdmi cable to the recorder, the other goes by XLR straight to the preamp on the recorder and then to the chip or disk on the recorder, and arrives later than the signal that passed thru the camera?  If you don't want to always be uncertain by three frames in editing, that would argue for sending everything over the same path.  Did you detect this with the clapper on a slate?

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Irakly,

We use the Shogun for pix and sound recording with various camera set-ups.  There is a menu with a time delay setting in the Shogun to account for this delay when an XLR is bringing sound directly to the Shogun.  I do not have any of this equipment with me right now to give you a more specific answer.  Check the Black Magic  menus to find the delay.  Because I am spending a glorious wine soaked holiday in Lucca Italy, I don't have a firm grasp of the exact delay setting.  I have a vague memory that it was a Plus or Minus 5 for the SL.  We find our delay settings for each camera by trial and error with a clap board.   Different cameras (Sony, Panasonic) will have different delay settings.  

Ciao,  Sully

Edited by Sully
  • Like 1

I tried it briefly, with a Beachtek passive mixer driving the audio jack while I listened.  That didn't work.  And I haven't tried again, since with a powered preamp I have a monitor output on the preamp, and only use the adapter to get audio input to the camera.  

What was your setup?  Were you listening to the result of the onboard mikes only, or was there also a feed into the audio adapter's input?  

The time delays are the opposite of what I might have expected.  One mic goes into the camera, out through the hdmi cable to the recorder, the other goes by XLR straight to the preamp on the recorder and then to the chip or disk on the recorder, and arrives later than the signal that passed thru the camera?  If you don't want to always be uncertain by three frames in editing, that would argue for sending everything over the same path.  Did you detect this with the clapper on a slate?

My setup was a Rode Video Micro microphone and Bower and Wilkins headphones connected to the SL mic adapter. It feeds via HDMI into Blackmagic Video Assist 4K recorder right channel. The second microphone is Marantz Professional Audio Scope SG-17P connected to the recorder left channel via XLR.

Of course it would be easier just to use the Rode mic and configure the recorder to use the feed for both channels, but the idea was to trail a dancer with one microphone while having the other one pointed at the sound source.

It was not anything complicated, hence no slate. My hearing is still acute enough to detect the split between channels. The most annoying thing about the split is that there is no simple way to shift just one channel in DaVinci Resolve despite its new fancy Fairlight sound page. I have to copy the audio into the second audio track, selectively disable channels in both tracks and then shift the second track.

Irakly,

We use the Shogun for pix and sound recording with various camera set-ups.  There is a menu with a time delay setting in the Shogun to account for this delay when an XLR is bringing sound directly to the Shogun.  I do not have any of this equipment with me right now to give you a more specific answer.  Check the Black Magic  menus to find the delay.  Because I am spending a glorious wine soaked holiday in Lucca Italy, I don't have a firm grasp of the exact delay setting.  I have a vague memory that it was a Plus or Minus 5 for the SL.  We find our delay settings for each camera by trial and error with a clap board.   Different cameras (Sony, Panasonic) will have different delay settings.  

Ciao,  Sully

Grazia my friend!

The only problem, this super professional BM Video Assist 4K does not have a delay adjust feature. So, my options a limited to either using two XLR microphones and have no reference sound from the camera, or put up with the split. Of course, there is always the third option of recording the sound separately :)