Need a copy of Lightroom...

You can find Lightroom stand-alone versions on Amazon.com and eBay. 

The stand-aline versions seem to go to version 6.6, then it all becomes cloud alone. And to support latest camera profiles like the Leica M10, you need Lightroom 6.8. Not great news, but that's how it is now.

Not much else has changed over the models of Lightroom, except speed (Lightroom 4 and 5 was slower than 3; LR 6 is as fast as Lightroom 3).

• Like 1

I use a standalone version of LR via a Leica TAN which started up as version 6 and is currently updated to version 6.9 so you should be able to get up to this version as well. 

I'm not sure how Adobe look at pre-owned/pre-registered copies and if they allow re-registration.  I would see if you can get an unregistered copy if possible.

• Like 1

I own a Leica Q so I assume Lr would support it? No plans to get an M for the forseeable future.

I'm not keen at all on Adobe's subscription services so that's a no go area. I might start another thread to ask people's opinion whether I should go for the Lr6 or if there is any alternative software out there that is a worthy competitor and suitable for a newbie.

The stand-aline versions seem to go to version 6.6, then it all becomes cloud alone. And to support latest camera profiles like the Leica M10, you need Lightroom 6.8. Not great news, but that's how it is now.

Not much else has changed over the models of Lightroom, except speed (Lightroom 4 and 5 was slower than 3; LR 6 is as fast as Lightroom 3).

(bolded) incorrect.

Lightroom 6 standalone is available direct from Adobe. See: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/download-install-single-app-Lightroom-6.html for instructions on how to obtain it. 

Purchase, download, and install.

Then use the Help > Updates command to update to Lightroom 6.9. 

LR6 has a much better raw conversion engine ("process version" in their parlance) than LR3, and allows you to select the earlier process versions as well, if you prefer them. Version 6.8 includes the Leica M10; I forget what was included with LR 6.9 but they did fix several bugs. 

Edited by ramarren

I upgraded to standalone 6.8 without problem.

Adobe hopes folks will get frustrated and switch to CC, but that's not yet required (we'll see if that continues with LR7). Note, though, that CC users get some features not available with the perpetual license (standalone) version.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I get the impression that the OP was hoping someone had a TAN number spare and preferably free.

A bit of a late answer but you were right Brian. I think my question got misunderstood. :)

I have since bought a copy of Lightroom 6 from Amazon and have successfully updated to version 6.9