The camera needs to cool down before it can be used.

}{B

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been traveling in Rajasthan, India and today (31 degrees Centigrade) my chrome M10 got very hot.

I was using Live View a lot because I had a 28mm lens on. The camera has gotten hot before with Live View but today the screen went black and the message that appeared read,"No Lens Attached". The shutter would not actuate. I would turn the camera off and then back on. Sometime the shutter would work, sometimes not. Sometime Live View would engage, sometimes not.

This went on for about 15 minutes. There were times I would leave the camera off for about a minute to cool. It would work for another minute and then stop and show the message again

I am using a leather half-case with a bump-out because it relieves stress on my hand when shooting for a long day. The case probably does not help with the heat issue - but 31 is not all that warm weather-wise. I would have taken the case off but, alas, it is one the replaces the base plate with its own easy open door to remove the battery and SD card. Without the case there is no base plate so the camera will not operate!

(As a cautionary tale remember to carry the original base plate if you use a similar leather case and are going to visit a Jain temple: NO leather goods allowed inside. That means belts, shoes (which have to be taken off anyway), cell phone cases - anything made with leather on it. My M246 also has a leather half case but that one does not replace the base plate.)

I've been traveling in Rajasthan, India and today (31 degrees Centigrade) my chrome M10 got very hot.

I was using Live View a lot because I had a 28mm lens on. The camera has gotten hot before with Live View but today the screen went black and the message that appeared read,"No Lens Attached". The shutter would not actuate. I would turn the camera off and then back on. Sometime the shutter would work, sometimes not. Sometime Live View would engage, sometimes not.

This went on for about 15 minutes. There were times I would leave the camera off for about a minute to cool. It would work for another minute and then stop and show the message again

I am using a leather half-case with a bump-out because it relieves stress on my hand when shooting for a long day. The case probably does not help with the heat issue - but 31 is not all that warm weather-wise. I would have taken the case off but, alas, it is one the replaces the base plate with its own easy open door to remove the battery and SD card. Without the case there is no base plate so the camera will not operate!

(As a cautionary tale remember to carry the original base plate if you use a similar leather case and are going to visit a Jain temple: NO leather goods allowed inside. That means belts, shoes (which have to be taken off anyway), cell phone cases - anything made with leather on it. My M246 also has a leather half case but that one does not replace the base plate.)

Only commenting on highlighted text (by me)....

Very interesting and good to know. We take it for granted that halfcase will remain on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It occur to me when I use for landscaping. Do bracketing or continuesly use for long shutter speed, it can happen many time during shooting. Don’t use the live view. It can produce heat so hot that the camera shut itself down. Turn off the live view after you use it for Focusing. Yes is it very annoying, but what else can we do. Love the camera, has to sacrifice a lot to use it =)

The issue is, it happens to me when I don’t do anything :) today it has happened when the camera was hanging around my neck and I wasn’t using it.

Where were you and what was the ambient temperature?

Hello to all.

I think the posible reason for this problem is batery.

I have 3 bateries. The problem was only with one batery.

I have tried to replace the batey and now is ok. The problem is gone. Hope it remains like this.

Here are instructions I received from Laica customer care service, Wetzlar:

”....They say, your Leica M 10 writes “overheated” ?

Please check out first the camera with another battery, and if the camera still shows this malfunction, please send it to us with the battery and charger.

Please find attached our repair form sheet in attachment.

If you wish, I can send you a pick up label for your equipment. ..."

I hope it helps someone.

Regards.

Tom