Leica 5370: a Leica TL with an integrated viewfinder to be announced in 2017?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

From the latest Leica rumours, other than the 24MP sensor, faster AF, 4K video and higher ISO, it seems Leica does not think the Leica T was a mistake and they are persevering. This is good. However at US2000, i.e. about AUD2760, I am glad I bought the Leica T for AUD999.

Coming from the M Rangefinder system, I am comfortably an MF person. Using only M lenses, Nikon f1.4 AFS lenses on Fotodiox adaptors stacked on Leica M-T adaptors. Nikon f1.4 lenses are a fraction of Leica f1.4 lenses which I owned and used. I don't need AF.   

you mean this update ? >

• Very similar to the T and TL design
  • No EVF
  • Very fast everything
  • The TL2 will most likely not have an EVF
  • New 24MP sensor
  • No flash
  • Max ISO: 50,000
  • 4K video
  • New customizable interface with more selections and options
  • The edges of the body are now smoother compared to the T and TL
  • The official announcement will be on or around July 10th
  • The Leica TL2 will use the same Visoflex as the M10
  • The CNC machining of the camera is slightly modified from the T/TL as the edges are chamfered to reduce the "normal-angle" sharp edging of the previous models. This chamfering stops about half an inch short of the hot-shoe from both sides.
  • Leica may announce a new lens for TL system
  • Price: around 2,000 EUR/USD/GBP

From the latest Leica rumours, other than the 24MP sensor, faster AF, 4K video and higher ISO, it seems Leica does not think the Leica T was a mistake and they are persevering. This is good. However at US2000, i.e. about AUD2760, I am glad I bought the Leica T for AUD999.

Coming from the M Rangefinder system, I am comfortably an MF person. Using only M lenses, Nikon f1.4 AFS lenses on Fotodiox adaptors stacked on Leica M-T adaptors. Nikon f1.4 lenses are a fraction of Leica f1.4 lenses which I owned and used. I don't need AF.   

Yes and this 2 pictures which I found leaked.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

If they came out with a T that had a built in EVF, how would that affect sales of the Leica Q? It seems unlikely that Leica would alter the T in order to essentially replicate the Q with interchangeable lenses.

The T is APSC. Q, M & S are full-rame. S is Medium Format.

My view is that it would have zero effect on the Q.

It would be very interesting to know how this camera fits into the Leica vision "A camera should become a mobile device" (Leica CEO Oliver Kaltner 1/27/2017)...

And how they anticipate that this upgrade will make the Leica TL the "upcoming shining star" (same interview)...

It would be very interesting to know how this camera fits into the Leica vision "A camera should become a mobile device" (Leica CEO Oliver Kaltner 1/27/2017)...

And how they anticipate that this upgrade will make the Leica TL the "upcoming shining star" (same interview)...

after polishing for 45 min its a shining star, technology is old.... so old.... its a Sony 6000, wish it would be the same as the 6500, that!!!! would be a nice TL

after polishing for 45 min its a shining star, technology is old.... so old.... its a Sony 6000, wish it would be the same as the 6500, that!!!! would be a nice TL

No. No it's not. If all you do is say every APSC camera is the same, it's not. Might as well claim all full frames are the same. There is much more than just features.

• Like 2

The thing that is puzzling me, if true,  is the removal of the flash!... It was not powerful but quite handy. 

It would become impossible for someone like me who is using MF lenses 99% of the time, and therefore needs Visoflex, to take  night street shots. Unless there was an integrated  EVF which would allow me to use an external flash! And according to "rumors", there is not such thing, either!

Without that little flash, you can't even use a slave flash!.... Bad, bad....

I really hope that "rumors" are just "rumors", and leica knows better!....

Edited by Louis
  • Like 5

The thing that is puzzling me, if true,  is the removal of the flash!... It was not powerful but quite handy. 

It would become impossible for someone like me who is using MF lenses 99% of the time, and therefore needs Visoflex, to take  night street shots. Unless there was an integrated  EVF which would allow me to use an external flash! And according to "rumors", there is not such thing, either!

I feel the same way about the flash, i mainly bought a TL because i like Leica's and needed a grab and go camera, the flash, albeit not very powerful allows me to use this camera in certain work situations.

If the flash delete rumors are true for TL2, then i am glad i have my current TL. If the rumor photos are correct, the new TL sure looks like the old one, but I don't see it as a bad thing as i like the camera's aesthetics and ergonomics, so more of the same doesn't seem a bad thing to me but i have no need to upgrade as i am mainly using my M's.

• Like 2

You would not be able to make do with higher ISO capacity and perhaps faster lenses?

Rob

Edited by ropo54

You would not be able to make do with higher ISO capacity and perhaps faster lenses?

Rob

...actually No, i can't use grainy high iso photos, the flash photos are better for what i am doing and using them for... and using a tripod isn't practical either, I have M camera's and fast lenses but they are simply not practical for my work applications, i bought the TL because it has the flash and i like it just fine, it's fabulous and i am glad i have 1 with a flash, i use it as a point and shoot more or less, it's a bit overkill for that usage, but i like Leica gear.

• Like 1

its a picture of the "old" TL

the chamfered edges in the leaked photo look to be like the Titanium TL, but on the silver aluminum body. silver aluminum body does not currently have those edges.

the ON switch positioned all the way forward, parallel to front of body, is not possible with current T/TL — switch slides most of the way to parallel, only temporarily, to pop up flash. proportionally on these photos, the shutter button does indeed seem taller compared with prior marketing shots.

two small windows in the black mask on right side of back (for LEDs) don't seem present in the purportedly leaked photo, but that could just be due to less contrast / detail.

for comparison:

https://static.bhphoto.com/images/images1000x1000/1478731541000_1296568.jpg

https://static.bhphoto.com/images/images1000x1000/1478712938000_1296563.jpg

https://static.bhphoto.com/images/multiple_images/images1000x1000/1478712625000_IMG_705067.jpg

https://static.bhphoto.com/images/multiple_images/images1000x1000/1478731559000_IMG_705357.jpg

I realize all of this is incredibly minor, but just trying to play "spot the difference" to see what I notice.

Edited by julian m

Rob

...actually No, i can't use grainy high iso photos, the flash photos are better for what i am doing and using them for... and using a tripod isn't practical either, I have M camera's and fast lenses but they are simply not practical for my work applications, i bought the TL because it has the flash and i like it just fine, it's fabulous and i am glad i have 1 with a flash, i use it as a point and shoot more or less, it's a bit overkill for that usage, but i like Leica gear.

I personally never used the flash.  I also didn't realize that is was so useful to many people... and apparently neither did Leica...

Actually, I do not like flash and use it very rarely. But I consider it very important for some cases. For instance on a beach where the sun is very bright and the shadows very dark, a flash improve the photo greatly. In indoor gatherings, very often the lighting is not good or right; you can improve that with a flush. No matter how high the ISO is in your camera, it is always very noisy and using a flush is always better.

Last year, I was in Key West when I was very surprised by an event that I had no idea about. Without that little T camera flush, I could not take any of the following amusing shots! ;)

http://objectif.zenfolio.com/p565675227#h1c5ca0dd

Therefore, I really believe a flush is an absolute necessity even if we are not using it often. I just can't imagine a camera without a flush possibility. It would be impossible to use an external flush with  Visoflex on; and it is impossible to use MF lenses without Visoflex. :(

Removing the flash seems an odd omission. The whole reason I choose the T over another APSC camera I have, like the XPro2, is it's ideal for "happy snaps". Took my kids to a technology museum last week and the flash was invaluable for the standard grab shots (family selfies) of us. It's the camera I carry when we go skiing and being able to have some fill flash is so useful.

I've been waiting for an improvement in performance, especially AF in lower light where the T is so weak. It looks like I'll get that but lose another feature I use often. That's a shame.....

The TL is the only Leica system where I think a flash is really useful. Maybe the Q would benefit but I don't have one of those.

Gordon

Edited by FlashGordonPhotography
  • Like 1