Testing the 24mm Super Elmar-S

djmay

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Fair enough. I still think other lens properties are more important. Color and contrast are hard to quantify, but are the first things that make an impression. Linearity can be corrected in software. CA to some extent. But flare can be a serious problem and the 24 is very good shooting into the sun.

But really, it's a system issue. A tech cam lens is better optically, but it doesn't fit on an S. I use the S because I like using it. The 24 is wider than most MF solutions - certainly ones that autofocus. But I don't care if there are more perfect optics on other systems. I'm not using them.

Matt

I agree lens is very sharp most of the frame start from WO and having good contrast and color, but so are other S glasses.

I haven't seen a single S glass not at least as good as this one at f3.5 but all seems with better corner performance.

I fully understand the difficulty of design a WA MF lens and a good MF SWA is really rare compare to FF format. But I can't treat it that special just because of that.

Since you mention flare performance, I am not fully happy with this lens with sun in frame actually compare to 21 SEM. It is not bad but not as good as most recent FF option actually. However, I wouldn't criticize that compare to soft corner because it is really not bad to be fair.

Edited by ZHNL

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Compared to the 30mm CS lens that I already have, how is the size of the 24mm lens, and does 6mm make that much of a difference??

Neil 

Here's how to see the difference. Start with any picture taken with the S and the 24. Now crop to a 4000x6000 rectangle (or 0.8x the dimensions of the original image if it has been resized). That's what a 30mm lens FoV would have seen. To be accurate, the crop has to be centered, which may not be the picture you would have taken with the 30, but it gives an idea.

--Matt

Edited by mgrayson3

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Here's how to see the difference. Start with any picture taken with the S and the 24. Now crop to a 4000x6000 rectangle (or 0.8x the dimensions of the original image if it has been resized). That's what a 30mm lens FoV would have seen. To be accurate, the crop has to be centered, which may not be the picture you would have taken with the 30, but it gives an idea.

--Matt

but I would need a 24 to try that??

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here are two images from the same location, different days, with 24 and 30. Keep in mind that the differences become more emphatic when closer to the subject.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

This is near the top of the list for my all-time favorite lenses. Edge to edge sharpness, little or no vignetting, minimum distortion, outstanding colors, and relatively small size make this lens a perfect choice for beach landscape photography.

attachicon.gifS1002568.jpg

(S2, Super-Elmar-S 24, 1/1000 at f/3.5)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk