How many regularly use film Leicas

peterjcb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I love my old M2, M3 and M6 Leica bodies and although my go to camera is the MM1, I still enjoy shooting film.

Maybe it's the surprise of developing the film and having to wait to see results or maybe I just enjoy using a piece of history....But I don't think I'll ever stop shooting film. :)

• Like 2

I love my old M2, M3 and M6 Leica bodies and although my go to camera is the MM1, I still enjoy shooting film.

Maybe it's the surprise of developing the film and having to wait to see results or maybe I just enjoy using a piece of history....But I don't think I'll ever stop shooting film. :)

I hope you post your 35mm photos on the "I like film" thread. You'll be very welcome, if you don't already.

Regards

Christopher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I hope you post your 35mm photos on the "I like film" thread. You'll be very welcome, if you don't already.

Regards

Christopher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, but my question was directed to Monochrom users. If I were to photo film photos I would post there.

• Like 1

I shoot with an M Monochrom mk1, but also enjoy shooting film with my M2/M4/M5. The M Mono Mk1 is great in low light. It's super convenient, and the results are wonderful. But in very good light, I prefer the look of film.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Because my MM1 can so nicely replicate my all time favourite film for the past too many decades, Tri X, it's really cut into the times that I pick up the M7 or MP……….Sad, but true.

MM1 is the only alternative which I would consider if I have to stop using bw film.

I have M4-2, M3 and M-E, M8. I like M-E BW at ISO1600-2500. But I like BW from film Leica more. Also, my main interest for film is in landscapes and street, candid photography, which is predominately in bw. Somehow film Leica cameras are much more easier for me to operate in this environment. I like to print in the darkroom as well:

32827238164_991ddab1dc.jpg

M-E bw at ISO2500 is enough for me if I have to take it under low light, but I don't need it often. With ISO1250-1600  I'm finding M-E results much cleaner comparing to 400 film pushed @1600.

31837583282_99a8046102.jpg

MM1 is the only alternative which I would consider if I have to stop using bw film.

I have M4-2, M3 and M-E, M8. I like M-E BW at ISO1600-2500. But I like BW from film Leica more. Also, my main interest for film is in landscapes and street, candid photography, which is predominately in bw. Somehow film Leica cameras are much more easier for me to operate in this environment. I like to print in the darkroom as well:

I think it's great that you still use a darkroom and print.

There are times, and I must admit not very many, that I do miss my old darkroom....but then I do come to my senses again..... :)

I will develop my own B&W in the bathroom but sadly the days of printing for me are over....

• 1 month later...

I own quite a bit of Leica film cameras and regularly shoot one roll per month for the local one-roll-of-film-challenge activity;  apart from that activity, I usually using digital cameras.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

I wish they would just engrave the top plate on the newer cameras as they did on the older models? It would certainly appeal to the collectors of old Leica, would not cost hardly anything, and I'd doubt anyone would be offended...you have a very nice collection; I last used film about 5 years ago, and will likely never do so again.

I sold my MM to buy a MP film camera. Much prefer the operation and handling of the MP, and although my MM made some nice files, I much prefer the look of b&w film.

Color is a different story though.

• Like 3

If I'm in a colour mood I take the M240 but for b+w it's the M6 TTL every time. In fact, I've just picked up an M3 and 50mm DR so I can safely say I still indeed still shoot film.

For me, shooting film is the reason why I don't have a Leica M Monochrom. The Leica M-A loaded with B&W film is my version of the M Monochrom.

+1: Can't convince myself to vest in any monochrome camera since I am so pleased by B&W film photos coming from my M6 and M7 cameras. Hard to reproduce the grey tones in digital which I can get with film.  

• Like 2

• 3 months later...