Has anyone tried the 50mm APO on the M-10

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use an old Elmar 2,8/50mm. There are some fans of the Elmar-M in the post above: Is it a good idea to upgrade to the Elmar-M?

Oh sure! I made some comparisons between APO50 and the modern Elmar50 and I couldn't tell the difference, at least to the extent that I couldn't find a reasonable explanation for a price difference of 1:8 either

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

Used the 50 APO for newly opened clematis flowers; close range around f2-2.8 if I remember properly. Quite pleased with the outcome, as I was tempted to go back to owning a Summilux –  but now I think I'll save the money!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by microview
  • Like 1

neighbour's cat! 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

No, it's not. It sure is worth watching for anyone interested ... but in no way a must.

When the Apo-Summicron-M 50 mm Asph was announced but not yet available back in Spring 2012, I had ten minutes to fire a few test shots with a pre-production sample on my own camera in the parking lot in front of the Leica plant in Solms and to compare it to my Summilux-M 50 mm Asph. This was all it took to convince me that this lens is something special, and that I want it.

attachicon.gifou-2120523-11.jpg

Test Shot in the Parking Lot, Solms 2012

Leica M9; Apo-Summicron-M 50 mm Asph

50 mm; f/2.8; 1/2000 s; ISO 160/23°

So—just go visit your dealer and fire a couple of test shots with the Apo-Summicron and your current 50 mm lens on your own camera. Then load the pictures up to your laptop (or whatever) and look at them at 50 % view (generous print size) and 100 % view (full resolution). If you don't see any worthwhile difference to the same picture taken with some other lens then the Apo-Summicron is not for you. Otherwise, it's going to be a costly experience ;)

Do you have the summilux shot still? Could you post some crops so those of us who don't own the summicron asph can get some insight into owners' excitment about this lens?

Pete

• Like 1

I once owned the APO but due to financial reason, i had to sell it

Lots of regrets... best lens for 50mm

Now i live with lux in black chrome, cant complaint but still missing the apo so much

Pairing it with m10 will only make it better imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...