Out of the Q

andalus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was in line for the M10 at a fav dealer and just pulled out. OK, so I am well aware the M10 has better low light performance than the M, maybe by 2 stops. I am aware of the superior sensor, etc. But I just took my M to New England and even shot a couple short movies. I don't shoot much low light anyway, mostly landscapes. My M is in perfect condition and probably has less than 3000 actuations. Heck no, I am going to use this camera longer and maybe look at the next camera Leica makes, maybe the M11.

• Like 4

Its all about the photograph. In that regard, I'm content with the capabilities of my 4 year old M240. While the M10's additional refinements are appealing, when I process my results, I've yet to find myself thinking, if only I had an M10... so no remorse around having to shoot without one. Someday I'll likely succumb to its charms, but as I've managed to overcome my initial lust, it'll be a while before I seriously consider trading up. 

• 2 weeks later...

Am waiting for an M with a Q or better sensor.  My only complaint with the 240 is slow start ups times - missed a few shots recently.  The alternative is to set power auto off for longer durations (e.g. 10 minutes) - but that eats battery very quickly.

I think that is a very sensible decision. You have clearly concluded that you do not have a demonstrable need to upgrade, so why take a financial hit for very little gain.

Like several reports about M colour, I have recently used a Pantone ColorChecker to produce profiles for my various cameras. Unsurprisingly the new profile for my M showed the most improvements and gives me the colours more consistent with my previous M9.For me, that was a good investment of time at little cost. I am unlikely to be tempted to upgrade until a new M incorporates an EVF as good as that in the Q.

Am waiting for an M with a Q or better sensor. 

I can't see much, if any, sensor differences comparing images between my Q and my M 262.    No doubt one could set up specific test conditions to show one is better than the other.

On the other hand if I had an M 240 I'd not be looking at the M 262.   Maybe the M 10.

• Like 1