Nifty Fifty: Please share some 50 mm pictures!

goldchen96

32260170542_5d27efdd36_b.jpg

IIIg & 5cm Hektor by JM__, on Flickr

5cm Nikkor 1.1 on SL

I have been offered a iiig with an elmar 50. I have not even felt one in the hand but I know it will be in good condition because I know the owner. I was going to swap it with a nikkor 200mm micro af ed lens. The thing I would really like to know is how easy is it to use coming from the easygoing M9 rangefinder experience and easier SL well certainly with fast lenses even though I have never really noticed a problem in focusing on the M9 with any lens

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been offered a iiig with an elmar 50. I have not even felt one in the hand but I know it will be in good condition because I know the owner. I was going to swap it with a nikkor 200mm micro af ed lens. The thing I would really like to know is how easy is it to use coming from the easygoing M9 rangefinder experience and easier SL well certainly with fast lenses even though I have never really noticed a problem in focusing on the M9 with any lens

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had mine recently in very good condition and like it a lot, it is a lot of fun to use !

The 111G is of course the last of the screw thread Leicas and was still in production when the M3 was introduced. The 111G has the 50mm and 90mm framelines that are parallax corrected so it's a bit easier to use than one of the earlier "Barnack" Leicas because you don't have to mentally correct for the field of view changing as you focus. The Rangefinder is in my opinion BETTER than the later M cameras as it gives a bigger and more magnified view that I personally find really good to focus with and moving your eye between the rangefinder window and viewfinder is a bit odd at first but soon becomes second nature.

The camera is like a mechanical jewel and made to an uncompromisingly high standard where no corners were cut and is an absolute joy to use. Loading is a bit difficult but again a bit of practice and it's not a problem - I don't bother with the Ablon film template to cut the film, I just use a pair of scissors and it seems to work OK as long as you make sure that the film is actually advancing by watching the rewind knob rotate.

The 50mm Elmar is a little gem of a lens and is every bit as good in "real terms" as more modern Summicrons etc. I use mine on a 111F and 111G plus a MK1 Monochrom, where it also performs very well and gives a lovely "classic" look to the modern digital files!

Thank you for the insight. I think I will have to do the swop when he's back from holiday. Looking forward to trying out this as a rangefinder and also if it's going to good at f8-11 that should be quite a refreshing change to my recent obsession of faster faster faster!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taken last week in the beautiful Somerset countryside. 50mm Summilux ASPH on a M(240).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12

50mm Summilux on M10

• Like 12

and again:

• Like 7

Here are a few from this week at a local park using my SL with Nikon 58mm f/1.2 Noct, all wide open (converted to B&W in photoshop)

Regards,

Bob

• Like 4