Nifty Fifty: Please share some 50 mm pictures!

goldchen96

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Please don't take this the wrong way, but in keeping with my comment about the summilux asph, I do not see the above shot as being very sharp at all. There is little detail in the eyebrows, the fabric in his jacket, nor in his hair. I hope it's just the translation to the internet and that the original file looks better than this. Yes, it's a wonderful photograph and I love the background but as far as resolution goes, I don't think it represents a $12,000 lens, or what one should look like. If the point of posting this shot was to show how even a shot that lacks resolution can still be a great photo, ok I get that...definitely.

I once had the opportunity to shoot for a day with the Noctilux and thought it was one of the worst lenses I had ever shot with. Not sure if it was just that copy or what, but wide open especially, I thought it was terrible (no I am not a bokeh freak, I couldn't care less how bokeh looks in a photograph). Stopped down, it looked no better than lenses costing a fraction of its price.

Going back through this thread, when I look at the summilux asph images, I am amazed at how good that lens performs.

Edited by jay968
  • Like 1

Please don't take this the wrong way, but in keeping with my comment about the summilux asph, I do not see the above shot as being very sharp at all. There is little detail in the eyebrows, the fabric in his jacket, nor in his hair. I hope it's just the translation to the internet and that the original file looks better than this. Yes, it's a wonderful photograph and I love the background but as far as resolution goes, I don't think it represents a $12,000 lens, or what one should look like. If the point of posting this shot was to show how even a shot that lacks resolution can still be a great photo, ok I get that...definitely.

I once had the opportunity to shoot for a day with the Noctilux and thought it was one of the worst lenses I had ever shot with. Not sure if it was just that copy or what, but wide open especially, I thought it was terrible (no I am not a bokeh freak, I couldn't care less how bokeh looks in a photograph). Stopped down, it looked no better than lenses costing a fraction of its price.

Going back through this thread, when I look at the summilux asph images, I am amazed at how good that lens performs.

I really like my 50mm Summilux ASPH. It has a bit of old-school magic, combined with crisp, modern resolution. I didn't really post my Noctilux shot as an example of how sharp the lens can render, more really to show the special effect it can produce. In fairness to the original picture, that was a very severe crop, combined with the resolution drop necessary on the forum. I was surprised, in general use, at how sharp the Noctilux E58 was, even at its widest aperture.

I can't find the full frame of the original, but here is a less cropped version. Imagine it as a rectangle, with a bit chopped off either side, to give this square shot.

Best wishes,

Colin

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

A tighter crop. Believe me, on the original TIFF file, you can clearly read 'LEVI STRAUSS' on the jacket button. This was at F1.

I think it's hard to convey true sharpness of images on the forum, mostly due to the compression necessary to post.

• Like 7

One last one from the M9/Noctilux E58 combo

• Like 3

Noctilux f1.0

• Like 12

IMO sharpness is vastly overrated.

the most attractive pictures to me are not the often selected razor sharp pictures but the wide angle ones (as near i can do) or with the nocti.....

"Hamburger SpringDerby" one of the famoust german internattional horsejumping competitions, highlight and final on sunday 13th of may 2018.... 

• Like 4

Totally agree with everyone's opinion regarding sharpness That is what "bokeh" for, or the over all subject, composition and artistic aspect or the special moment we attempt to capture. There are plenty of very sharp and mundane photographs out there we can get by buying picture postcards.

• Like 3

Fuji X-H1 + Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 7

• Like 5

• Like 2

Old school BW.... once again Nocti V2 

• Like 5

Glasgow - Leica M5, 50mm Summilux ASPH, Ilford HP5

• Like 5

M10 | 50mm Summilux-ASPH Black Chrome

Edited by Whitford
  • Like 8

Have been using my MP240 a lot recently with the 35 and 50.  I enjoy both focal lengths almost equally but I am starting to believe that either lens would be just fine if it was the only lens I owned.  I have traveled with only one lens on the Leica body and some trips it was the 35 and some the 50.  I own seven M mount lenses but finding myself using only these two for 90% of the photos.  

If I could only own one lens, it would have to be the 50mm.

• Like 2