Frame lines not changing when mounting different lenses

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The used M 240 I've bought until recently hasn't had any problems however I just noticed today that my frame lines appear to be stuck at 35mm. When I mount a 50mm lens on it I still get presented with the 35mm frame lines. From my understanding the frame lines are detected by a mechanical component at the lens mount so does anyone know if this is fixable by the user or do I need to send this into Leica and face a likely expensive repair?

No, this is not user fixable, as the problem will most likely be  in the internal linkage inside the camera or with the frameline masks sticking.

Do you know if it will require recalibration of the rangefinder mechanism if it is indeed the frame line mask sticking? I would hate to have to go without the M 240 for several months if it has to go all the way back to Germany instead of the local Leica repair centre. 

I cannot tell. However, you can ask for express service by Leica (extra charge) to have a fast turnaround.

Personally I would send it directly to Wetzlar, bypassing the whole importer chain. After all, Germany is only an UPS away. Take care to handle customs formalities correctly.

Otherwise, third party repair services may well be able to solve the problem in a short time at lower cost. Australian members should be able to recommend reliable workshops.

The default position (even with no lens mounted at all) is for 35/135mm. 50/75 lenses have a tab that will push a lever halfway, to bring up the 50/75 lines. 90 and 28 lenses have a longer tab that will push the lever further, to show the 28/90 lines.

If you are getting no response to mounting a lens other than 35/135, the lever in the lens mount has become disconnected from the frameline system up in the finder.

Just for grins, you could try manipulating the lever by fingertip (or fingernail) to see if you get any change in the viewfinder. The lever is just behind the camera's lens mount, diametrically opposite the lens mount button. In the attached photo, the squared-off metal tip peeking out on the far side of the lens opening. Pushing that tip DOWN should move the framelines to 50/75 and then 28/90 - WHEN WORKING RIGHT.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images2500x2500/Leica_10771_M_Digital_Camera_Silver_893171.jpg