M10 Rangefinder Durability

dkmoore

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just thought I would share my experience on the M10's rangefinder durability and calibration. I never had issues with the M240 and M246 (had many with M9) and that experience continues with the M10. I hiked up to 13K feet in full snow cover last week. I had the M10 across my body and probably fell 3-4 times during the hike. It was a fairly aggressive and not all that safe of a hike and I acknowledge that the point of hiking is to stay on your feet. :  )

Anyway, the point of the article is that I just got home, checked my photos, tested the rangefinder in my living room and to my surprise everything is nice and calibrated. Even at 1.4 on 50 Lux the rangefinder is on the money. I am impressed.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

@dkmoore I'm in Massachusetts too and know where that hike is! Would love to know how many pics you got on the M10 and what was the temp? How does the life of the M240 compare to the M10 in the mountains? I have the M240 and just got the M10 today, but haven't ventured to the mountains yet with it.

Ah, I didn't mention that the above face is in Denver, CO.Temp in the mountains was probably 40 degrees F. No real difference in my experience between the two cameras in regards to durability.

Some folks mentioned some issues with the M10 in severe cold. 40 F is warm for a snow covered mountain up to 13,000 elevation.

Just a note, the battery was probably at 85% at beginning of day.

All guesses based on memory from a week ago but fairly accurate.

I don't have any issue with the batteries. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Curiously, I was walking somewhere a few days ago and the air temperature was about -10C, about 14F, with a significant windchill on top of that (about 20-30mph). I had Leica MM (10760), Q and Sony a7r. The MM and Q were fine - worked perfectly. Batteries were also OK. The a7r packed up. In fact it packed up at other warner places, only -5C or thereabouts. 

Only other problem was I put a Lee filter holder on a UV filter and could not get it off when back at normal ambient temperatures (around 0C). Had to wait till I got home and put it in the freezer (-17C), after which I came off nice and easy.

The Sonys are fragile. I never take mine anywhere rough. M9 I drag everywhere and it has never failed in all sorts of weather. I ski with it 60+ days a season much of it off-piste.

32625682060_6ec84da60a_b.jpg

Wind Drifts by Charlie Webster, on Flickr

I'd expect the M10 should be very tough also, though the larger screen and ISO dial are both more vulnerable to impacts.

• Like 2

The rangefinder was a somewhat issue on the M8 & M9. I had to have them calibrated a few times but have not had to with the M240 series or M10 series. There is a difference and I am glad for it.

The M10 has been out for all of two months. Might be a little early to be drawing any conclusions as to its durability. Just sayin'.

• Like 1

The rangefinder was a somewhat issue on the M8 & M9. I had to have them calibrated a few times but have not had to with the M240 series or M10 series. There is a difference and I am glad for it.

This is very interesting, do we think the rangefinder mechanism has been made more robust then? Thanks.

Oh believe me it can happen. And this is of course not based off just testing one lens. God knows I am guilty of more than 20 RF coupled lenses.

Edit: Technician confirmed it was off immediately and they managed to calibrate and return to me within the day. 

How can that happen - or is it a case of bodies and lenses needing to be matched? Thanks

Edited by garygraphy

How can that happen - or is it a case of bodies and lenses needing to be matched? Thanks

This will never happen. Both bodies and lenses are adjusted to a common standard that is the same for all M bodies and lenses.

I never had issues with the M240 and M246 (had many with M9) and that experience continues with the M10. 

It would have been disappointing (and surprising) if the M10 had regressed from the M240 in this regard.

No RF issues with my M10 (nor any calibration issues with my 6 M lenses, 3 of them f/1.4).

(FWIW, I have had no such issues with my M9 either)

• Like 2

The M10 has been out for all of two months. Might be a little early to be drawing any conclusions as to its durability. Just sayin'.

I hope in your case the rangefinder in your M10 is out of focus. 

:  )

But seriously, the likelihood of Leica reducing the durability of the rangefinder from what exists in the M240, which is significantly better than the M8 & M9, is not very likely. Oh, and that rangefinder has been in production for 4 years. 

You chose to miss the point of my post. I am sure you and I wouldn't get along much in life.