Sensor stabilisation in a Leica M

lburn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Would the Leica M type 240 be a better photographic tool if Leica had developed it to include sensor stabilisation? Is that not one of the main reasons Leica did not increase the megapixels in the M10 to, for example, 36MP (to the disappointment I suspect of many would be upgraders). I wonder this because it is hard to think of a mainstream serious amateur or professional camera on the market today which does NOT have good image stabilisation built in. It is regarded as an essential component presumably because, for many people, it is extremely difficult to take a genuinely pin sharp image on a large sensor without it. I know many Leica photographers will not agree but then why is stabilisation such a key selling point? If Leica could do this I for one would not feel that it detracted from the rangefinder experience. You still have to focus but an in focus image would not be marred by camera shake, however slight. Maybe it is impossible for Leica to incorporate it.

Lburn

My bolding.

You could add a TTL viewfinder, AF and a few other things to the list, Until we have total design a la carte and manufacture to order, camera makers have to choose which features to include that they think will sell enough to make a profit. The more Leica offers features close to what other brands do the more they, as a smaller company, are onto a loser.

You will see plenty of similar comments here about what they'd like Leica to include ( pick any of the other M10 threads at random), but in the end we all have the same choice: pick the camera that is closest to what suits us, Leica or other. None of them will suit us exactly!

In the case of IS, yes, I would like it as well, but I recognise there are trade-offs in size and weight that I don't want Leica to make.

Would the Leica M type 240 be a better photographic tool if Leica had developed it to include sensor stabilisation? Is that not one of the main reasons Leica did not increase the megapixels in the M10 to, for example, 36MP (to the disappointment I suspect of many would be upgraders). I wonder this because it is hard to think of a mainstream serious amateur or professional camera on the market today which does NOT have good image stabilisation built in. It is regarded as an essential component presumably because, for many people, it is extremely difficult to take a genuinely pin sharp image on a large sensor without it. I know many Leica photographers will not agree but then why is stabilisation such a key selling point? If Leica could do this I for one would not feel that it detracted from the rangefinder experience. You still have to focus but an in focus image would not be marred by camera shake, however slight. Maybe it is impossible for Leica to incorporate it.

Lburn

The real reason is:

a. body size

b. the camera is basically designed for optimal use with focal lengths from 28-90 mm, in which case stabilization is not really needed.

• Like 1

[...] the camera is basically designed for optimal use with focal lengths from 28-90 mm, in which case stabilization is not really needed.

Try to focus handheld a 90mm or even 50mm lens with a Leica macro adapter on. Perfectly doable but better have steady hands then. Tripods are of great help of course but the same is true for telephotos.

[snip]

... That leaves in body stabilization which means that the sensor has to move, something that seems quite contrary to a long standing tradition of physical precision.

[snip] 

I recall that Leica uses shims under the sensor to locate it to within 0.01mm vertical to the sensor plane (i.e. towards or away from the lens), which is then firmly clamped in position. I presume is necessary to give sufficient accuracy with large-aperture lenses in conjunction with the rangefinder system (which would have its own tolerances).

Introducing movement in the 2 directions 'along' and 'across' the sensor plane to cope with movement of the image relative to the sensor would necessarily forego the fixed and critical front-back precision.