Serious WIFI issue

motionid

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear al,

Received my camera yesterday. Have tried to get the WIFI function working no result. I have just been to Leica in Ginza (Tokyo) where I have been able to connect my phone to their demo camera. Neither Leica Ginza or I can connect to the camera. Has anyone had a similar issue or have a suggestion as to how I could possibly resolve this?

From the Camera end I have:

Reset the camera several times (ensuring I take the battery out for a few minutes and replace it)

Tried to connect without a memory card

Took the Thumb support off the camera  (in the crazy hope that it might interfere with the signal)

Changed the Network name (and left it as the default)

Changed the password (and left it as the default)

Phone side:

Reset the phone

Turned the phone on and off

Reset the network settings

Removed any network profiles installed

Deleted the Leica M app and reinstalled it

Removed the sim and tried to connect

Tried to connect via a wifi network

All the above options have not worked.

Once I have backed up my phone I will reset the phone completely to check.

Also of note: I have tried to connect my friend's phone to the camera also with the same result.

Thing's left to try:

Completely reset the phone

Cheers,

Sean.

Reset the camera several times (ensuring I take the battery out for a few minutes and replace it)

Tried to connect without a memory card

Took the Thumb support off the camera  (in the crazy hope that it might interfere with the signal)

Changed the Network name (and left it as the default)

Changed the password (and left it as the default)

Reset the phone

Turned the phone on and off

Reset the network settings

Removed any network profiles installed

Deleted the Leica M app and reinstalled it

Removed the sim and tried to connect

Most of these steps are not necessary for troubleshooting, stick to the basics and keep it simple. You are way over complicating the troubleshooting

The easiest method is to connect to the M10s network.

Are you connecting your iPhone to the WiFi created by the M10?

It would help us if you stated how you are connecting rather than all these crazy steps taken to solve a problem that may or may not exist. The only way we can offer sound advice is if you outline exactly how you are trying to connect and what happens when you follow each step.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Thanks very much for the replies. I appreciate people taking the time to try to help. Based on digitalfx's comment above (Thank you), I have made a simple video which outlines the steps and the issue.

The video is unlisted. You can only find it via this link.

I hope this illustrates the problem.

Thanks again everyone for you input.

Cheers.

no internet connection is normal...as you don't have an internet connection. Its a peer to peer connection only. You are NOT connected to the internet with this method. You are connected to the camera only.

The issue is you didn't wait long enough to connect....and its two steps.

Bottom line is you did everything correct up until this point, you just aborted before it was able to connect. Again, it will say "no internet connection" since you aren't connected to the internet. Just ignore this.

now...from the point where you stopped your video, just give it time until the circle effect stops and the graphic changes to click to connect.

Then click the circle one more time and you will be instantly connected.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

BTW- After you have mastered this method...then you can also use a wifi router to connect.

This method will give you internet (on your phone) as you are connecting to the router (which is connected to the internet) and not the camera directly.

You connect the camera to your wifi router...then connect your phone to the same wifi router, then use the app to connect.

viola...you are connected.

The Final follow up to the problem. After extensive testing for two days, we (Leica Tokyo and I) have confirmed the issue is with the camera.

Leica will be replacing the unit as soon as stock is available. 

Thanks to everyone for their input and time with my issue.

Cheers.

There are many fine dealers, with extensive experience and knowledge...but frankly Im surprised at the amount of dealers that don't know their products. Ive have seen so many instances where a dealer didn't know how to operate the basic functions of the camera. Which is quite surprising considering that many of them sell one brand...Leica.

Id suggest you make sure this isn't operator error before returning the camera. Unless you have done more testing than the video demonstrates, your video shows that you are not connecting properly.

And again, if the dealer told you that the "no internet" message was a sign of an issue...then he should take some time to learn his gear.

• Like 1

Hi, I have exactly the same problem with you and after experimenting with the Leica dealers here, we have concluded that it was a firmware issue after they updated it in March. I tested it with their store display model which still had the previous Firmware and it connected to my iPad just fine. So, its pretty obvious now that Leica has to fix this by the next firmware. And guys, don't try to get around this by using the Mobi Pro wifi SD card either. For some reason, the M10 seems to fry the wifi emitting aspect of the cards. I have gone through 2 Mobi Pro and 1 Toshiba Air wifi cards. Just sit tight and wait for blooming Leica to come up with the next firmware update. :(

Hi, I have exactly the same problem with you and after experimenting with the Leica dealers here, we have concluded that it was a firmware issue after they updated it in March. I tested it with their store display model which still had the previous Firmware and it connected to my iPad just fine. So, its pretty obvious now that Leica has to fix this by the next firmware. And guys, don't try to get around this by using the Mobi Pro wifi SD card either. For some reason, the M10 seems to fry the wifi emitting aspect of the cards. I have gone through 2 Mobi Pro and 1 Toshiba Air wifi cards. Just sit tight and wait for blooming Leica to come up with the next firmware update. :(

What FW are you on?

The current FW (1.3.4.0) works just fine...if you could expand on your issue we may be able to help.

Make sure your camera is on version 1.3.4.0

and you have the latest version of the Leica M app (the TL or SL app will not work)

Step one:  

WLAN (on M10)

-select create WLAN

-go into "setup" and change SSID and add password

-go to "function" and turn it on

now go you to your iPhone settings and select "WiFi"

connect to the SSID you created above

Ignore the warning "no internet connection" as this is normal. You are directly connected to the M10, not the internet.

now open the "Leica M" app. (NOTE: Make sure its the correct app, it must be the Leica M app. They all look alike and Leica TL or Leica SL apps will not work)

click the circle "search for your camera"

wait a few seconds and the screen will change to click now to "tap to connect to XXX"

bam you are connected.

You can use a similar method as above to connect to your router using "JOIN WLAN". This option will give you internet as well as your phone will be connected to the router and your M10 will connect to the same router. This is the better method if you have access to the router. The "CREATE WLAN" is ideal when you are in a remote area with no internet access.

here is a video showing all the steps above:

http://youtu.be/rwED2BH-fO0

• Like 1

Hi!

My current firmware is 1.3.4.0 which was the latest one implement in early march. In fact, my M10 came automatically updated with this update.

The display model in the Leica store runs the prior firmware which was why it was able to connect with my devices i.e. My iPad and my Note 5.

The store wasn't willing to crack open another new M10 set that was meant for another customer so it was concluded that it was a firmware update issue. They have reported this to Germany and so i hope that they will sort this out mucho proto! :(

Thank you for your reply.

Dear Digitalfx,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I have done all that you have suggested.

The problem is that the iPad is unable to find the wifi signal that the the M10 is sending out. Thus, no wifi signal, no connection.

I have downloaded the correct M App. The guys in the store have the same M app and they weren't able to connect with my M10 but they were able to connect with their store display M10 running the previous firmware.

I was wondering if you have upgraded your firmware to 1.3.4.0 yet? If you have and it is still able to connect to the M app, then this might be a bigger problem that i envisaged.

Thank you once again for your willingness to help out :)

Dear Digitalfx,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I have done all that you have suggested.

The problem is that the iPad is unable to find the wifi signal that the the M10 is sending out. Thus, no wifi signal, no connection.

I have downloaded the correct M App. The guys in the store have the same M app and they weren't able to connect with my M10 but they were able to connect with their store display M10 running the previous firmware.

I was wondering if you have upgraded your firmware to 1.3.4.0 yet? If you have and it is still able to connect to the M app, then this might be a bigger problem that i envisaged.

Thank you once again for your willingness to help out :)

yes, as stated in my post and shown in the video I'm on v1.3.4.0

I think its a simple case of operator error. Have you tried rebooting the iPad before connecting?

are you sure you are selecting "CREATE WLAN" on the camera?

what version of iOS does your device have?

so many questions...but just make sure you are following my steps precisely, one slight difference and it won't work...and from years of experience with Leica Dealers (no offense intended) just because they say there is an issue, doesn't mean there is an issue.

note: the process is slow...if you don't have patience and give up too soon you won't see the M

• Like 1

HI Digitalfx,

Thanks for your reply.

Yep...

1. I have restarted the ipad (cold booting and hard booting it) I have installed and reinstalled the app server all times.

2. My version of the iOS is 10.2.1

3. I have done exactly as you have illustrated in your video

4. I followed your instruction to the letter

5. I have the Leica Dlux 109 as well and I used it wifi and so I am familiar with the wifi setup of Leica

6. I have been using the Mobi Pro SD card and Toshiba Air cards and managed to use those no matter how confusing it was to set up as well

7. I realize the dealers can mess things up as well but i have been researching this on my own too for the last 3 weeks and nothing works.

8. I am aware that the process is slow and i wait and wait and wait for the camera to be found until the camera goes to sleep. That is how long i wait for the camera to be found and no way it should take THAT LONG if it is truly working.

I really hope you might have some other suggestion to make my day dude.

Thanks again! :)