Leica vs. Thumbs Up grip for M10

Stonewall Brigade

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would suggest having a look at the Thumbie, http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Thumbie-grip-for-M240-also-fits-M10-/292084627486?hash=item440199b81e:g:7~4AAOxy3yNTfGz0

The advantage is that the Thumbie leaves the hot shoe free. Also, if you use a flash or a hot shoe viewfinder you still get the benefit of the thumbie.

Do you think the thumbi will last? I know they are using the 3m double tape though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I first bought the Leica version .

As a left eye shooter, I quickly got bothered by the sharp edges which directly "brush" into the forehead . I even  tried to file the left corners of the Leica thumbs up next to  the hot shoe.

Recently got the Match Technical thumbs up and now I can concentrate and shoot with more confort.

I got bothered by the sharp edges as well. In fact there are as sharp, that you can literally cut your shirts when you carry your camera diagonal over your body. So I rounded the edges with a nail file made from glass - which worked out very well. Of course I now have brassed edges ;) - but still much less than with the bad laquered thumbs up on my M240.

• Like 1

I use auxiliary VF's a lot, so any 'cuckoo' sitting in the hot shoes slot would be  a pain. I have trained myself to use the built in thumb rest of the M10. It is OK. Previously, on my M9, I found the Thumbie to be far superior to anything else for grip, but also keeping the hot shoe free for intended purpose.

• Like 2

Do you think the thumbi will last? I know they are using the 3m double tape though

Yes, I have used two bodies professionally for the last couple of years, so a lot of ware and tear. The only time a Thumbie has came off, was when I dropped the camera and it landed on the Thumbie. The funny thing is, the Thumbie detaching took some of the force out of the fall and helped to save the camera. It was blowen clean and reattached to the body where it still is today. Forget the ones that block the hot shoe.

John

• Like 3

+1  - I took my M9P into Leica Mayfair last week for sensor replacement (yes, I'm one of the lucky ones - slight corrosion was detected on sensor cleaning a couple of months ago) and the guys there suggested I remove the Thumbie before leaving the camera with them. It took a good 30 secs of effortful twisting to get it off. I've never had a moment's worry about its coming off in the three years I've had one, and I wouldn't dream of having an M of any description without one. Brilliantly simple and effective.

Thumbie is quite secure. I understand people don't like the 3m solution, but it works fine.

+1 on the Thumbies with 3m tape fastening, they hold well. I have switched over to those on my M240 and M10, it fit's both models. I prefer to keep my shoe open and got tired of removing the Thumbs up although feel those are well made too.

Steve from the UK who makes and sells them on eBay is a good vendor and nice guy based on my 2 experiences.

• Like 1

+1 on the Thumbies with 3m tape fastening, they hold well. I have switched over to those on my M240 and M10, it fit's both models. I prefer to keep my shoe open and got tired of removing the Thumbs up although feel those are well made too.

Steve from the UK who makes and sells them on eBay is a good vendor and nice guy based on my 2 experiences.

Here is a photo if anyone cares to see it on my M10.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up my M10 recently and have not yet decided on which thumb grip to get. I have used the Thumbs Up for both the M (240) and M9 so decided to try them both out on the M10.   The Thumbs Up from the M9 fits very well and is easy to remove when I need the accessory shoe.  I looked carefully to see if it would somehow damage the M10 (such as the new electrical contacts in the accessory shoe) and it appears that it would not harm the camera.   Does anyone have a perspective on why I should not use the Thumbs Up designed for the M9 on the M10?

The only objection is the fact that it occupies the hot shoe. Foe me, that is a killer as I frequently use aux VF's. Time lost swapping it out is critical and irritating.

It also means one moment you are using the thumb thingy, the next you are not. Changes the feel of the camera each time.

• 1 year later...

Curious, I went to visit the Match Technical Website, (makers of the Thumbs Up), today and it seems to Not be functioning. I haven't been on their site for many months as I recall.

Does any one know if Match Technical is still in business or why the website is gone?

• Like 1

I got bothered by the sharp edges as well. In fact there are as sharp, that you can literally cut your shirts when you carry your camera diagonal over your body. So I rounded the edges with a nail file made from glass - which worked out very well. Of course I now have brassed edges ;) - but still much less than with the bad laquered thumbs up on my M240.

I also rounded the edges with a nail file.

However, my daughter generously let me use her black nail polish - all good so far :D

I would suggest having a look at the Thumbie, http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Thumbie-grip-for-M240-also-fits-M10-/292084627486?hash=item440199b81e:g:7~4AAOxy3yNTfGz0

The advantage is that the Thumbie leaves the hot shoe free. Also, if you use a flash or a hot shoe viewfinder you still get the benefit of the thumbie.

That's right. In my opinion the Thumbie is the best of all. It's also much cheaper. Kind regards, Roel. http://www.roelvisser.nl

Edited by roelv1

Curious, I went to visit the Match Technical Website, (makers of the Thumbs Up), today and it seems to Not be functioning. I haven't been on their site for many months as I recall.

Does any one know if Match Technical is still in business or why the website is gone?

I tried it the other day and today and have the same question. The website still doesn’t work.

• Like 1