Leica vs. Thumbs Up grip for M10

Stonewall Brigade

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Today I received the new Thumbs Up grip (EP-MX, black) that was newly designed to fit the M10.  I purchased it from The Leica Store in Miami for $160 with free 3-day UPS shipping.  Now, my M10 feels a lot more steady to hold with the thumb support in place.

As a comparison, the new Leica branded M10 thumb support sells for $195.  

Both brands are rather similar in shape, but there are a few subtle differences.  For example, once the Thumbs Up support slips onto the hot shoe, you have the option to use a small allen head wrench and tighten down a center screw to keep it fixed tightly.  (Or, if you will sometimes need to remove it to add a flash to the M10, you could not tighten down the set screw). The Leica only slides on and off, and since I don't have one, I cannot report if it fits equally snug, or, could potentially slip off or be lose.

Second, the curvature of the Thumbs Up's flange supporting the thumb is a bit more ergonomically shaped, compared to the design of the Leica-branded support. You need to see a photo of both brands to see the subtle difference, but I cannot say which design is the most comfortable to hold.

And third, once the Thumbs Up is mounted onto the M10's hot shoe, there is also a bit of extra overlaps to the left and right side of the hot shoe. Once on the same, it will cover up the "Leica M10" script printed horizontally on the right side of the hot shoe.  In contrast, the Leica unit, once on the hot shoe, is more narrow in its contact with the top of the M10, being only as wide as the recessed hot shoe space (the part exposed when you remove the plastic hot shoe cover).  This aspect gives me the sense that the Thumbs Up unit could be more secure since it is braced against a slightly wider contact patch surrounding the hot shoe.  Again, it would take a photo of both brands to see what I am describing.  Two attached images:  Leica on the left, Thumbs Up on the right.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Stonewall Brigade
  • Like 1

The Leica only slides on and off, and since I don't have one, I cannot report if it fits equally snug, or, could potentially slip off or be lose.

It slides comfortly but snugly on and off - no risk of getting loose and slipping off

And third, once the Thumbs Up is mounted onto the M10's hot shoe, there is also a bit of extra overlaps to the left and right side of the hot shoe. Once on the same, it will cover up the "Leica M10" script printed horizontally on the right side of the hot shoe.  In contrast, the Leica unit, once on the hot shoe, is more narrow in its contact with the top of the M10, being only as wide as the recessed hot shoe space (the part exposed when you remove the plastic hot shoe cover).  This aspect gives me the sense that the Thumbs Up unit could be more secure since it is braced against a slightly wider contact patch surrounding the hot shoe.  Again, it would take a photo of both brands to see what I am describing.  

The Leica version just replaces the normal plastic piece. If this is generally thought sufficient for securing the contacts of the hotshoe the Leica "Thumps up" will secure it as well.

More important is the fact that the Leica version rests on the cameras protrusion with the thumb wheel. The other version is free. In situations when pressure is applied on the right end of the device, it might cause damage for the hot-shoe by lever force. The Leica version seems more secured against this. 

It really leaves a bad taste in my mouth that Leica knocked off the Thumbs Up. I would try to support the original manufacturer.

I can't say I feel the same way. More choices is always better. I like the angle of the thumb's up more as it is more ergonomic in use. But I much prefer the design of the Leica in other respects. It just looks like it was made for the camera, whereas the thumb's up looks like a somewhat poorly designed add on. It detracts from the looks of the camera, in my opinion. But most of all, I was dissappointed with seeing how quickly they brass in a Facebook picture I saw today. It's only been out a few weeks, and the brassing I saw was pretty substantial. Given all of that, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the Leica version.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I can't say I feel the same way. More choices is always better. I like the angle of the thumb's up more as it is more ergonomic in use. But I much prefer the design of the Leica in other respects. It just looks like it was made for the camera, whereas the thumb's up looks like a somewhat poorly designed add on. It detracts from the looks of the camera, in my opinion. But most of all, I was dissappointed with seeing how quickly they brass in a Facebook picture I saw today. It's only been out a few weeks, and the brassing I saw was pretty substantial. Given all of that, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the Leica version.

"Brassing", the mystical patina quality of a used Leica M camera body, is suddenly undesirable with the Thumbs Up grip?

"Brassing", the mystical patina quality of a used Leica M camera body, is suddenly undesirable with the Thumbs Up grip?

Yes, to me at least. I'm not much of a fan of the look and I'm not rough enough with my M9 that it has any brassing. But seriously, after a few weeks of use and the entire end of the thumbs up has the finish worn off and bright brass showing through, while the camera it sits on still looks pristine? Yeah, I have a problem with that. It shows the poor quality of the finish.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Leica version on my M10 and am very pleased.  It is not going to slip out even a millimeter on it's own..  Well designed, blends in with the lines of the camera body very well.  Flush with the top plate. Overall, has exceeded my expectations..

• Like 2

I bought both versions and the thumbs up is more secure ( the leica version does wiggle a bit). I have always owned a thumbs up for my M8, M240, xpro2 but I dont like the look of the new thumbs up as well as the need to have an allen key to remove. I like to switch it up a lot with the evf and this is annoying so I ended up usign the lecia version more now.

Funny enough the old match technical thumbs up for the m8, m240 and xpro2 didnt wiggle.  

Ive always owned the Match Tech thumbs up on every previous M...this time I went with the Leica version mainly for aesthetics. The Match Technical really changes the look of the M. I am very pleased with mine. It is extremely tight, no slipping at all and its very easy to remove when using the EVF. Honestly I was reluctant to buy it as I prefer to support a business like MT, especially since he was the first to introduce this solution...but ultimately I just didn't like this latest design. Im very happy with the Leica.

• Like 2

I first bought the Leica version .

As a left eye shooter, I quickly got bothered by the sharp edges which directly "brush" into the forehead . I even  tried to file the left corners of the Leica thumbs up next to  the hot shoe.

Recently got the Match Technical thumbs up and now I can concentrate and shoot with more confort.

Edited by JMF

• 2 weeks later...

How is the overall grip of the M10.. is the new thinner body & slightly moved thumb bump an improvement for you?

Do you find the thumbs-up to be any less necessary?  What about accessory grips?

The thinner body is nice, and a noticeable improvement compared to my earlier M262 that was thicker. But, I also use the Leica black leather half case for improved grip and camera body protection (ads I did my my M262), so my M10 has some added "padding".

After looking at the photos posted above I traded up to the Leica grip. It does look much more integrated into the camera and although the Thumbs Up is angled the Leica unit is pretty comfortable. On the other hand, at the new $240 cost (a 26% price increase while the Euro has increased just 2% since the M10 introduction in January), Thumbs Up sales should flourish.

Edited by pnoble