Top Of My Wish List

fotografr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have to assume anyone participating on this forum is computer literate enough to do their own Google search. That's what I did to reach my conclusion prior to starting this thread.

And in answer to a prior question someone asked about whether this thread was turning into an advertisement, no it is not. I read about the lens in Photo District News and it interested me. I thought others here might share that interest. Unfortunately it seems difficult to carry on conversations here very long without having them turn into a dogfight. I'm moving on and have nothing more to add on this topic.

I am indeed qualified to do my own searches, and not only Google. However, as your rather wide claims are not addressed by the article you linked to in your opening post, I think it would not be amiss to mention the sources which do agree with your claim.

Things can become unwieldy when members have to leave the discussion in order to look everywhere for sources that might or might not support the statements uttered by other members.

• Like 1

I have to assume anyone participating on this forum is computer literate enough to do their own Google search. That's what I did to reach my conclusion prior to starting this thread.

And in answer to a prior question someone asked about whether this thread was turning into an advertisement, no it is not. I read about the lens in Photo District News and it interested me. I thought others here might share that interest. Unfortunately it seems difficult to carry on conversations here very long without having them turn into a dogfight. I'm moving on and have nothing more to add on this topic.

FWIW

I appreciate you informing me of this lens.......No chance I'd pay 11K for .95 or 7k for used .95 but I could see this being a fine alternative if I'm ever bitten by the .95 bug.

Maybe by then it will come in an M mount?

You are playing to a rough crowd on this forum but so you know your efforts and information are very much appreciated...and I'll do my own due diligence
Thank You
Edited by ECohen
  • Like 2

I always try to do my own search,failing finding satisfaction,I turn to fello respectable members for thier views.

On this matter,all I could find are there news articles to tell the world about this lens,but I could not find any comparisons. If you know of any then why not share? 

May I repeat again that if you like this lens (only available for Sony E mount),there is no alternative but to mount it on a Sony mirrorless,APS or FF.

That doesnt mean you have to abandone Leica.

Furthermore,why dont you approach Meyer with your suggestions?

Some might be surprised by the fidelity of fast lenses for mirror-less cameras of less than full frame. I do use full-frame fast lenses on Leicas, but also, for example Voigtlander's 25mm F/0.95 which is deadly sharp. Explore and enjoy unless you have plans to spend 10X too much to display 50%.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

Some might be surprised by the fidelity of fast lenses for mirror-less cameras of less than full frame. I do use full-frame fast lenses on Leicas, but also, for example Voigtlander's 25mm F/0.95 which is deadly sharp. Explore and enjoy unless you have plans to spend 10X too much to display 50%.

If it doesn't fit the full frame format....doesn't it vignette? Or do you not care and just crop it?

I never considered doing that before?..............interesting...... hummm

Even in the view camera days, if the lens didn't cover I didn't use it....but I guess there really no reason not to,if the resolution is there?`

It does open up an bunch of new possibilities

Edited by ECohen

If it doesn't fit the full frame format....doesn't it vignette? Or do you not care and just crop it?

I never considered doing that before?..............interesting...... hummm

The Voigtlander 25mm F/0.95 does not vignette on the 4/3rd format. I have not used it for ages, but will look for example images.

I always try to do my own search,failing finding satisfaction,I turn to fello respectable members for thier views.

On this matter,all I could find are there news articles to tell the world about this lens,but I could not find any comparisons. If you know of any then why not share? 

May I repeat again that if you like this lens (only available for Sony E mount),there is no alternative but to mount it on a Sony mirrorless,APS or FF.

That doesnt mean you have to abandone Leica.

Furthermore,why dont you approach Meyer with your suggestions?

Basic information about the company and the lenses they make:

https://www.meyer-op...litz.com/en-us/

Reviews, image samples and other info:

https://www.ephotozi...ii-6327/reviews

https://www.dpreview...or-sony-e-mount

http://www.photograp...50mm_f_0.95_ii/

https://diglloyd.com...nus50f0_95.html

http://www.mirrorles...-f0-95-ii-lens/

As to contacting the company about future plans for an M mount with this lens, I have done that already but it's only been a couple of days and I don't expect to hear back until well past the weekend.

As to buying a Sony camera, I will say again I have no desire or intention of starting another camera system. I am not a fan of Sony cameras but see no point of elaborating on that in this thread. The fact that the lens is not now available with an M mount certainly doesn't mean it never will be. I do not need this lens. It simply appeals to me. So does the 0.95 Noctilux, but not enough for me to put out somewhere between $7000 and $11,000.

There are no comparisons of the Nocturnus to the Noctilux, because the Nocturnus cannot be used at this point on a Leica M body. I seriously doubt that anyone with a Sony body and the 50mm Nocturnus is also going to have the 0.95 Noctilux with a Leica M to Sony E adapter for comparison purposes.

I remain impressed with what I've read, the image samples I've seen and with the company itself.

Edited by fotografr

Guess this thread was all for nothing. I just heard back from Benedikt Hartmann at Meyer Optik who informed me the Nocturnus will not be offered in an M mount in the near future.

I'm still glad I've familiarized myself with their line of lenses because several are available in the M mount and they provide a very unique look at reasonable prices. I'm pretty sure I'll end up with one before long.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Guess this thread was all for nothing. I just heard back from Benedikt Hartmann at Meyer Optik who informed me the Nocturnus will not be offered in an M mount in the near future.

Perhaps they followed the SLR Magic's "Noktor Hyperprime" saga and figured that it's not that easy to make the RF coupling work...